January 2017 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Goducks09

Really?? 

We lose one female member to Bozeman and now another to Yellowstone?       

Haha, same one! Yellowstone is only about an hour away.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

There will be plenty over the next 96 hours.

Next 4 days look almost totally sunny here per the WRF.    Very nice!

This week might have failed to be epic... but its still  delivering the best weather of the winter so far.   Better than failing and ending up with days of rain.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Haha, same one! Yellowstone is only about an hour away.

Ahhh... did not see that you changed your screen name.   That makes sense now.   I was wondering why you were also getting so much snow in Portland.   :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Excellent 00z EURO run tonight. Snow/ice this weekend followed by a snowstorm next week, then the possibility of a big time Arctic Blast at around day 9 with true Arctic air just across the border. Onto the 12z runs tomorrow.

Total snow for days 6-10 per the 00Z ECMWF:

ecmwf_snow_96_washington_41.png

Ahhh... did not see that you changed your screen name.   That makes sense now.   I was wondering why you were also getting so much snow in Portland.   :)

Yeah, got tired of being called "bro"  ;)

• Like 3

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Next 4 days look almost totally sunny here per the WRF.    Very nice!

This week might have failed to be epic... but its still  delivering the best weather of the winter so far.   Better than failing and ending up with days of rain.   

Plus, in 4 days we'll be able to point to a very impressive January average. 1950ish.

A forum for the end of the world.

Of course we need to get through the snow that the ECMWF forecasted last week for this week... then we can start worrying about next week.

Here is the map from last Friday for this week. How much of this is yet to fall?

ecmwf_tsnow_washington_41.png

All of it..** cue flatiron to say how meaningful the cold air is... as he flips through his booklets of stats to read to kiddos as bedtime stories. So powerful and meaningful.

Are you really? If so, I'm jealous.

Sure am! We're moving just southwest of downtown Bozeman later next week. -9F there right now  :blink:

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Does it show the basin staying cold through day 10? Looking at the 500mb pattern and 850s I would have thought it would scour out the low level cold.

Its gets scoured out pretty good on day 7 and 8 before it turns cold again.  

NWS Medford is really serious about this. This would be the most 24 hour snowfall in Klamath Falls since sometime before I moved here. I haven't had any 8+ inch days in my observation (moved here on Nov 30th 2010). There is a station that recorded 8.20" on 11/23/2010 just a week before we were unloading our uhaul truck. Unsure when they last had that much in a day.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2hq8j1k.jpg

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 21
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Mark Nelsen has a new blog post. He is feeling pretty good about nothing making it up here Wednesday. 

For the weekend a very brief snow to ZR event seems likely:

"Models have come into much better agreement on our “transitional event” Saturday & Sunday.  It’s a classic setup for brief snow and then freezing rain across much of at least the northern Willamette Valley and into the Gorge.  It may only last Saturday and then we warmup Sunday, or it may take until Sunday night or early Monday to get rid of the cold air.  A couple of brief thoughts on it now:

1. I’m leaning toward freezing rain more than snow due to system coming in from the southwest with relatively warm temperatures above coming in quickly.   Snow levels jump to around 4-5,000′ with this system and the deep cold air over us is gone by that time.
  2. Pretty good agreement that Saturday is the day
  3. The low-level atmosphere over us Friday doesn’t go anywhere until at least sometime Sunday.  Easterly flow out of the Gorge continues through that time and there is no sign of warming southerly surface wind until Sunday at the earliest."
  • Like 1

Mark Nelsen has a new blog post. He is feeling pretty good about nothing making it up here Wednesday. 

For the weekend a very brief snow to ZR event seems likely:

"Models have come into much better agreement on our “transitional event” Saturday & Sunday.  It’s a classic setup for brief snow and then freezing rain across much of at least the northern Willamette Valley and into the Gorge.  It may only last Saturday and then we warmup Sunday, or it may take until Sunday night or early Monday to get rid of the cold air.  A couple of brief thoughts on it now:

1. I’m leaning toward freezing rain more than snow due to system coming in from the southwest with relatively warm temperatures above coming in quickly.   Snow levels jump to around 4-5,000′ with this system and the deep cold air over us is gone by that time.
  2. Pretty good agreement that Saturday is the day
  3. The low-level atmosphere over us Friday doesn’t go anywhere until at least sometime Sunday.  Easterly flow out of the Gorge continues through that time and there is no sign of warming southerly surface wind until Sunday at the earliest."

I've been saying this for a few days. This has big ice storm written all over it, mainly immediate PDX metro and especially east of I-205.

Even if the 12z Euro today and 00z tonight show another round of snow on days 8-10, I'm not biting. The wounds from this current bust are still fresh.

I mean nothing has really busted. Just a little warmer temperatures this week. We were never locked in on a snow storm or anything.

PDX has had a low of only 29 so far. MOS guidance going with a high of 28 today. Seems totally legit.

In reality they should hit 34-36 pretty easily.

Pretty pathetic. That is why I was rooting for the snow on Wednesday. Might as well get something fun out of this. Oh well.