PNW December 2022 - Part II

Guest hawkstwelve

You can see the cold is really eroding now on the Mesonet map.   Very slow in King County though.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, Cloud said:

Speaking of getting shafted, while SEA is getting almost 6” of snow this season (between Nov and now) I don’t think I’ve gotten more than 2”. All the snow events pretty much skipped my area up to this point. 🤣

That sucks.  I'm happy with 7.5" so far, but it could have easily been way more.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Kids thought the chunky ice on top of the snow was awesome! And no sled needed today! The ice is dripping off the trees like crazy now. 

5C9E58D6-8B4B-4E56-89FD-C93AD8D69CEB.jpeg

048888BB-AE49-4BDB-A830-97B256D31C6C.jpeg

9FDBE23A-20C6-4EE8-A604-5495E2BE8AFA.jpeg

8FF65689-FEEB-4305-87C5-5DDF3EFEEF50.jpeg

F394DC05-07BD-4490-9DD9-CF9F2E504771.jpeg

• Like 3

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Made it safely to Covington a couple hours ago. Conditions got really bad on 18 past auburn. Roads in Covington are complete ice. Thankful I got here ok started to lose control of my car a couple times. Raining as hard as it has all morning here but it’s warmed a bit. 32 in Tacoma still so close to ending this.

CF5F7408-A9BA-4538-A596-33E92D2DF09E.jpeg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

You can see the cold is really eroding now on the Mesonet map.   Very slow in King County though.

It’s taking forever. Ice keeps building up more. Could end up with .6-.7in of ice if this doesn’t end soon.

Currently 29

Edited by SouthHillFrosty
  • Sick 1

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

That sucks.  I'm happy with 7.5" so far, but it could have easily been way more.

I’m at around 10” or so now for the season I believe. Could have been triple that if things would have lined up better for us. Now the stupid south and east is stealing all of our cold goodness. 😡

• Angry 1
  • Weenie 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

Kids thought the chunky ice on top of the snow was awesome! And no sled needed today! The ice is dripping off the trees like crazy now. 

5C9E58D6-8B4B-4E56-89FD-C93AD8D69CEB.jpeg

048888BB-AE49-4BDB-A830-97B256D31C6C.jpeg

9FDBE23A-20C6-4EE8-A604-5495E2BE8AFA.jpeg

8FF65689-FEEB-4305-87C5-5DDF3EFEEF50.jpeg

F394DC05-07BD-4490-9DD9-CF9F2E504771.jpeg

Once the air loses that continental bite it melts fast.  I'm sure it won't be long here now.  Very impressive cold event overall though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

32.2 and SSE wind now. It won't be long for the melt to start.

Went out to actually measure and it's more ice than I thought. .3" accumulation. 

• Like 2

2022-23 Winter:

11/29: .25" + 1" = 1.25" | 11/30: .25"

12/2: .2" + .5" = .7" | 12/3: .2" | 12/4: trace

12/18: .4" | 12/19: .2" + .8" = 1.0" | 12/20: .2 + 1.5" = 1.7

1/31: trace | 2/14: trace | 2/22: .2 | 2/26: 1.0"

Total: 6.7"

1 minute ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

It’s taking forever. Ice keeps building up more. Could end up with .6-.7in of ice if this doesn’t end soon 

It's been pretty much dry here for a good while.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Made it safely to Covington a couple hours ago. Conditions got really bad on 18 past auburn. Roads in Covington are complete ice. Thankful I got here ok started to lose control of my car a couple times. Raining as hard as it has all morning here but it’s warmed a bit. 32 in Tacoma still so close to ending this.

CF5F7408-A9BA-4538-A596-33E92D2DF09E.jpeg

I can attest to the fact it is a skating rink here.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Well....

The 12z GEFS had a quite a few chilly members later in the run.  Here we go again! 🤪

• Like 4
  • Excited 2
  • Shivering 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

20 minutes ago, justpassinthru said:

I can relate...Brother and I were out in the yard playing and the wind started gusting, blowing us around, Mom yelled to get in the house. A few hours later as the whole family was gathered (luckily) on the sides of a very large pitcher window watching trees, garbage cans, pieces of roofs blow down the street, surprise surprise, a part of our willow tree blew through the pitcher window shattering it into shards that stuck across the 100 year old wood planked living room floor like thrown knives. For many days dinner was cooked on a pot hanging in the fireplace with candles to get to the bathroom at night. Yes that Ice storm of '21 was a big thing, my current house is surrounded by maples, all through several nights we would here crashing of ice and tree limbs onto the sides and roof of the house waiting for a tree to make a direct hit. As I mentioned we heard the boom of nine trees that fell over that time. Intense stuff that I don't want to repeat, but that windstorm of '62...wow....

My friend that owns HiWay Tire in Canby lost a huge amount of oak trees.  I managed 12 cord of fine firewood.  That was the ONLY good thing about the ice storm.  I suppose it caused many of us to slow down a little.  Got to pull out a lot of my old DVD's and watch shows as my geni still ran my home theater system.  Band of Brothers, 24, WWII in COLOR, nothing too violent.  LOL  I've lived in the area all my life and the ice storm was the worst weather related event I've been through.  At 12 years old the Columbus Day Storm was fun!  Didn't have to deal with adult stuff. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

34 in Olympia the end is near. 

The really big tell is 33 with SW wind at the 18/90 junction.  The cold air is paper thin now.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

6 minutes ago, MossMan said:

I’m at around 10” or so now for the season I believe. Could have been triple that if things would have lined up better for us. Now the stupid south and east is stealing all of our cold goodness. 😡

I would of rather had your 10 inches of cold dry than the 29 of my wet garbage. I'm very disappointed that I didn't get to watch it snow and blow around at 20 degrees for just 1 evening. I did last year though. And I did a bunch of times in February 19.

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Just now, SouthHillFrosty said:

Oh really? Still raining out here and has been for a bit. 

I just can't believe how well everything worked out here.  Nice and cold and not raining so I could go outside and actually enjoy it a bit.  The almost no ice on the trees is the huge bonus though.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

22 minutes ago, SnowySeeker50 said:

Now 30 degrees and drizzle. This drizzle isn't freezing but its making it look more deceiving and just makes the ice all the more treacherous.

My neighbor has been spending the last hour and half breaking the ice around and behind his car. Don't get why he wants to wants to go to work on these ice rink roads.

Sat in his car for 10 minutes, went out and checked the ice, and went back inside the house lol. Looks like he finally decided to make the right decision

• Like 1

Power just came back on... no idea how it will last.   We had sleet all night into early morning.   Maybe an inch of sleet but where it rolled off the roof by the front door there is probably 6 inches piled up.   Then its been misting since about 8 a.m. with no break.    But very light.   Trees were not coated when I woke up but are crackling and all iced up now.   Another very strange phenomenon is that you can walk across the sleet in the driveway without breaking the surface and my son could slide down the driveway standing up.   You actually have to work at it break the surface.   Its surreal.   But in the last hour we have noticed standing water on top of the surface in the lower part of the driveway.  Like genuine puddles and also puddles on top of the snow in the yard.  It must mean its warming up... but the cars in the driveway are still encased in ice.

• Like 5

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I would of rather had your 10 inches of cold dry than the 29 of my wet garbage. I'm very disappointed that I didn't get to watch it snow and blow around at 20 degrees for just 1 evening. I did last year though. And I did a bunch of times in February 19.

The dry snow is so much more fun.  Still a lot of winter left, and I have to think we will have another shot.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Power just came back on... no idea how it will last.   We had sleet all night into early morning.   Maybe an inch of sleet but where it rolled off the roof by the front door there is probably 6 inches piled up.   Then its been misting since about 8 a.m. with no break.    But very light.   Trees were not coated when I woke but are crackling and all iced up now.   Another very strange phenomenon is that you can walk across the sleet in the driveway without breaking the surface and my son could slide down the driveway standing up.   You actually have to work at it break the surface.   Its surreal.   But in the last hour we have noticed standing water on top of the surface in the lower part of the driveway.  Like genuine puddles and also puddles on top of the snow in the yard.  It must mean its warming up... but the cars in the driveway are still encased in ice.

It's really frozen and crunchy like that here too.  Never seen an ice event like this one.  We did get some sleet last night as well.  How bad did the wind get at your place?

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

The quality of the snow was amazing! Temps in the teens with snow blowing behind your truck as you drive, doesn’t get any better than that! 

CC6B97A9-7B8E-4DC1-9C25-2FFA345DD2AC.jpeg

• Like 5

89051584-17FC-4746-B6DB-8A0573EFD8C3.jpeg

Single digit snowfall from Snoqualmie Pass all the way to Spokane.

• Like 6
  • Excited 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

Just now, snow_wizard said:

It's really frozen and crunchy like that here too.  Never seen an ice event like this one.  We did get some sleet last night as well.  How bad did the wind get at your place?

The wind is what knocked out the power for all of North Bend.   It went out around 10 p.m. before any precip had fallen.    It was absolutely roaring all night.    It was the constant sound of sleet pounding against the windows and roar of the wind in the background with no power.    Wind is basically calm now.    Hopefully that means the cold air supply from the east will be shut off here soon.    Or just wishful thinking.

• scream 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, TT-SEA said:

The wind is what knocked out the power for all of North Bend.   It went out around 10 p.m. before any precip had fallen.    It was absolutely roaring all night.    It was the constant sound of sleet pounding against the windows and roar of the wind in the background with no power.    Wind is basically calm now.    Hopefully that means the cold air supply from the east will be shut off here soon.    Or just wishful thinking.

Wind is SW at the 18/90 junction.  Could bode well for you.

Talk about a blast of winter we just had!

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Sounds like an exciting night, I’m jealous! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Almost above freezing here. Starting to sound melty out there.

1.6 in snow and ice pellets from this event, 20.5 in for the season so far.

Epic winter for you guys so far.  That's what happens when you get these crazy N to S gradient situations.  As I mentioned earlier the South Coast of WA has barely been cold at all this month while you have been in the freezer a decent part of the month.  Right between the two situations here.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9