March in the Pacific Northwest

When do the hopes and wishes of someone else change our weather?

I believe that would be never.    Someday we will have the technology... someday.   :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Lol after everything this winter now the gfs shows a block at 150. Christ.

Models have been all over the place... and the GFS has shown that many times this winter!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

EXACTLY.

People keep talking excitedly about how close the cold air is this week... but that has been the problem.    And the reason for this gross weather pattern.

Get that frickin cold air out of here and let the pattern open up.

Roads are about to flood here as well... maybe already have this evening.

Drove through some flooded roads at the bottom of my hill here this afternoon...Gonna be a lot of closed roads in the snoqualmie valley tomorrow morning. 

Pretty nice cold snap on the 0z GFS in week two.  It happens well before the end of the run also.  The excessive wetness we are seeing in combination with an active MJO wave moving into octant 1 in the week two period does argue for a cold snap.  That's why I posted last night that I think we will see a decent cold snap later in the month.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Not here.  It has just been plain ugly here for days now.  Pretty much endless rain and clouds.  One of the roads I drive home on will have to be closed soon if this doesn't stop.  Already about 4 to 6 inches of standing water in one stretch.

We could really use some of that rain in Socal. We had a great storm last weekend, but it is forecast to stay dry down here until mid March at least. Aside from this weekend's storm, this winter has been an absolute borefest even for southern California standards!

It's time for the endless cold back east to come to an end, so the pattern has a chance to shift into something different.

We could really use some of that rain in Socal. We had a great storm last weekend, but it is forecast to stay dry down here until mid March at least. Aside from this weekend's storm, this winter has been an absolute borefest even for southern California standards!

It has certainly tried to get interesting down there over the past couple of weeks.  Northern Cal seems to have done pretty well at least.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The 0z GFS ensemble has a pretty good cold signal for week two.  The control model is as cold as the operational. 

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It has certainly tried to get interesting down there over the past couple of weeks.  Northern Cal seems to have done pretty well at least.

Norcal has done much better from February to the present, but this ever persistent subtropical ridge is keeping activity to the north of Socal, except for the period late last week into the weekend. Back in January we had two ridges blocking everything from reaching the west coast, the subtropical ridge and the ridge in the north Pacific. January was absolutely horrible and not a drop of rain fell in my area, in what is usually one of the wettest months of the year!

It's time for the endless cold back east to come to an end, so the pattern has a chance to shift into something different.

Yes please. It's time for flowers and birds and stuff.

The surface pressure configuration being shown over the NE and north central Pacific at day 10 on the ECMWF strongly hints at a cold snap coming for the NW.  It kind of makes sense with shortening wave lengths that the endless cold east of the Rockies would shift westward.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Afraid to post on here this morning... looks like we have been hacked.

SEA is officially above normal for rainfall for March on the 6th day of the month... closing in on 4 inches now.    Without one more drop in the next 25 days... this month is above normal for rainfall.    

I am sure there will be plenty more though... although the pattern almost has to quiet down now     

The surface pressure configuration being shown over the NE and north central Pacific at day 10 on the ECMWF strongly hints at a cold snap coming for the NW.  It kind of makes sense with shortening wave lengths that the endless cold east of the Rockies would shift westward.

Just in time for spring... ;)  

12z Ensembles

It would be nice if it wasn't an attachment so non members who are studying the weather can view the chart.    When I wasn't a member before I signed up I was really ticked off that you couldn't view simple files.

By the way yesterday around 3:00pm just when the next batch of rain hit I emptied my gauge and it showed 1.20 from the previous storm!   What a wet one!   Then from 3 to 5 steady rain unlike the Oregon Mist we usually get that often barely registers.

The kind of steady rain we had is what I call a California Soaker which is a typical rainstorm anywhere in California when a storm blows thru.

It would be nice if it wasn't an attachment so non members who are studying the weather can view the chart.    When I wasn't a member before I signed up I was really ticked off that you couldn't view simple files.

That isn't my problem.  So I'm not to concerned about it.  And don't you think signing up here would be beneficial to someone wanting to learn?  Again, that's not my problem.

Some of the rain totals are pretty impressive along the Olympic Peninsula. Many locations are over 4" in the last 24 hours and while it isn't unheard of, it is a lot of rain. Up here I have spent most of the past few days in the rain shadow with just a few heavy showers coming through. 1.88" in March so far.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/gmap.php?zoom=8&extents=46.087087,-125.497334,49.050962,-121.212666&density=1&precip=1&value=P24I

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

I hate how mild it's been lately.  Almost no freezing low temps in the last 4 weeks except for northern areas.  I still think it's likely we will see one more period of region wide below normal temps later this month.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I hate how mild it's been lately.  Almost no freezing low temps in the last 4 weeks except for northern areas.  I still think it's likely we will see one more period of region wide below normal temps later this month.

I am on the southern border of Washington and my location saw a sub-freezing high just four days ago.

But I get your point. It has been annoyingly mild just about everywhere the last few days. I agree with your prediction for the end of the month.

yay...cold rain. Bring on the 70s+ at this point!

Roller coaster day today with the weather at my jobs today.

Started in Westport this morning first thing and winds were gusting to I would say 60+ but only a little rain.  Thank goodness my ladder was not needed on that install.

Then I had a big job in Aberdeen, breezy conditions and heavy rain for most of it.

After that I headed to just south of Queets (about 40 miles south of Forks) and it was light winds, but on and off heavy drizzle.

And got home around 5:30 to heavy drizzle and no wind.

My raingear lost the battle during the Aberdeen job.

Mild is really nice at this point... I love it.     Gets spring jump started.  

Below freezing crap now just delays everything.    Below freezing lows are great from November - February.   

You must not grow a d*mn thing in your yard because you never care about that even in July... cheering for below freezing temps in the summer?    

Mild is really nice at this point... I love it.     Gets spring jump started.  

Below freezing crap now just delays everything.    Below freezing lows are great from November - February.   

You must not grow a d*mn thing in your yard because you never care about that even in July... cheering for below freezing temps in the summer?????    

Why does his opinion bother you so much?  Or anyone's for that matter.  

Honest question.

Tim's MO for the past five+ years has been that of "I don't see any sane reason why you or anyone would find joy and comfort in weather that I along with a majority of others don't". It gets a little old, but you get used to it.

Tell Jesse in August that heat and humidity are enjoyable... or that heat in September and warm weather through October is awesome.    You will get an anxiety-filled lecture.     :lol:

He needs to move to San Diego.  70 degrees and sunny most of the time.

Lived there for 12 years.   It is beautiful along the coast.   

It's gorgeous there.  But I like rain/snow most of the time.

Womb separation issues??   :)

There is not rain/snow here 'most of the time' either.    More dry days than wet days annually.   Actually... I think its only precipitating in Seattle about 8% of the time annually.