October 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

stuffradio

Cleared out nicely imby. Temp on the new instrument is reading a little high - will have to work on fine tuning it.

http://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/gqBxp6apnJSnqqm2

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

The rain has started here. Gonna be wet. 3-5 inches tomorrow.

The NWS forecast discussion for Juneau mentioned some cold northerly outflow next week. So it begins...

"There are so many waves coming in all the time, you don't have to worry about that. Take your time—wave come. Let the other guys go; catch another one." -Duke Kahanamoku

18z going in a good direction.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Talking about the short and mid term. 590dm ridges in late October aren’t climo.

True. In the context of the convo, I was just talking about the pattern coming up, which was looking possibly cold at first but trending more towards climo.

Another case where my point wasn't actually contradicting your point, but you still took it that way. I was simply adding to what you said by saying that the upcoming pattern was trending more towards climo, not saying that everything has trended that way lately.

A forum for the end of the world.

True. In the context of the convo, I was just talking about the pattern coming up, which was looking possibly cold at first but trending more towards climo.

Another case where my point wasn't actually contradicting your point, but you still took it that way. I was simply adding to what you said by saying that the upcoming pattern was trending more towards climo, not saying that everything has trended that way lately.

Don’t sweat it. Matt knows what we both meant better than either of us did. ;)

• Like 1

Odd post.

Those are the “common” names for some pnw edible mushrooms.

The year has been terrible so far. I think it had to do with no moisture to speak of all summer and suddenly a decent amount, but only to dry out, rinse repeat. They haven’t had a chance to get going with sustained damp/mild conditions.

• Like 1

Those are the “common” names for some pnw edible mushrooms.

The year has been terrible so far. I think it had to do with no moisture to speak of all summer and suddenly a decent amount, but only to dry out, rinse repeat. They haven’t had a chance to get going with sustained damp/mild conditions.

Ah, got it. Clearly I'm no mushroom connoisseur.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Pretty nice ensemble improvement. Five go -10c. Operational is on the warm side.

http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Seattle_USA_ens.png

Check out Yakima! Even colder members between -10c and -15c which tells us what? Yep, that this might not be cold maritime air mass rather it could be a cold continental/arctic air mass coming down from the north-northeast. Hmmm.... Don't rule out that rare early Fall cold shot just yet. If anything it looks chilly with fairly low snow levels.

http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Yakima_USA_ens.png

• Like 2

Check out Yakima! Even colder members between -10c and -15c which tells us what? Yep, that this might not be cold maritime air mass rather it could be a cold continental/arctic air mass coming down from the north-northeast. Hmmm.... Don't rule out that rare early Fall cold shot just yet. If anything it looks chilly with fairly low snow levels.

http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Yakima_USA_ens.png

hmmmm-17608542.png

November 1985 was a "wonderful" month. In fact, one of the best from my childhood. 2 weeks of (often) bitter cold, multiple snow events, clear cold sunny days with over 15" to 20" of snow on the ground w/ very little to no melting. It was a rare and special event... 

The entire time between December 15th or so till like the end of February was like that at my house last winter. 

Looks like everywhere from Kelso northward managed to get into an inversion very quickly with this ridge.  It only hit 55 here today.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Jelly.

It happens sometimes.  I think tomorrow will be even better as clearing skies allow more cooling tonight and freezing levels go even higher.  I could see areas down your way getting cold tomorrow night as pressure gradients relax.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

00z!!!

Close your accounts! Pull the kids out of school! Bury the dead hooker in your trunk before the ground freezes!

Unless you're in the Willamette Valley...ugh

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

00z GFS Much cooler run. 522 thickness down to Olympia, 518 Bellingham. Day 8 - 500mb. Awfully close Just need the trough to dig another 200 miles to the south-southwest. It's the closest run yet to a really cold air mass dropping south over us for early November. Snow on this run throughout eastern Washington/Columbia Basin especially north of Pasco. Real close to a backdoor shot via the Gorge on this run. I think it's just exciting enough to see this possibility on most models and it's not even November. Perhaps we could see something similar to the modified blast and big east wind storm comparable to the Veteran's Day event back in 2014.

• Like 1

Wow!

I really can't believe how the models are shaping up for the possible cold snap in early November.  This could rival 1935, but just a few days later.  As I mentioned last night major cold snaps beginning in early November are pretty much unheard of.  The best comparisons are probably from late October.  That timing is pretty crucial, because the late October cold snaps in neutral or cold ENSO seasons always lead to something good during the winter...often VERY good.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Interesting wind profile across the airport right now. The ASOS sensor, on the NW side of the airport grounds was reporting WNW winds @ 8 mph at 9:35. Meanwhile at my work, by the eastern end of the runways, a steady east wind @ 10-15 mph continues.

I think there's often a sharp line like that where the easterlies surface in that area especially when the PDX-TTD gradient is flat. Gusty east winds out here near west Gresham.

How did you know some of us had dead hookers in our trunks? You’re scary smart!

I know...I feel like I've been outed.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

This is actually one of the coldest places tonight...at least according to the observations from the major stations.  Currently 44.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

00z GFS Much cooler run. 522 thickness down to Olympia, 518 Bellingham. Day 8 - 500mb. Awfully close Just need the trough to dig another 200 miles to the south-southwest. It's the closest run yet to a really cold air mass dropping south over us for early November. Snow on this run throughout eastern Washington/Columbia Basin especially north of Pasco. Real close to a backdoor shot via the Gorge on this run. I think it's just exciting enough to see this possibility on most models and it's not even November. Perhaps we could see something similar to the modified blast and big east wind storm comparable to the Veteran's Day event back in 2014.

The GEM looks good too.

cmc_z500_anom_noram_192.png

• Like 1