Jan. 22nd-23rd Winter Storm

Money

I'm doubting Euro. I feel like the storm cuts way too hard.

I agree. This is a weak surface low, even though there isn’t really any high pressure in Canada, I can’t forsee it cutting like that.

EDIT: especially because the wave is shearing out, wayyy positively tilted and really not terribly defined. This isn’t a massive ejecting neg tilted longwave trough. This inevitably ends up flatter at the very least. Probably with an adjustment colder/south as well.

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

Be Leary of that 10:1 Euro map. I did the raw #s here near and NW of DSM and in the beginning looks like 6:1 or so than 10:1 at end. I would conservatively do 75% of that map, at least here. Cant do others now as I have to drive.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I wonder if watches will be hoisted later today

Even if DMX agrees with higher amounts compared to previous thoughts I think they wait another 12 hours.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Obviously not trying to read into this too much, but for us here particularly in E. Nebraska, it was the EURO that identified the more eastern/drier solution with the last system. The GFS, FV3, and NAM packages all followed suit respectively, but not until 24 hours from onset.

Food for thought! 

• Like 1

what is outrageous?

I think the Euro cuts too hard for one. Whether or not this is what he meant is impossible to say. RCNYILWX largely agrees with my thoughts on this system. I actually think the NAM and the Ukie have the right idea with a shearing out, cold turd. 

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

18z NAM for those that are interested.

That's some bad news for southern Wisconsin. That should be some rain. I feel like how these last few winters have been for everyone around me, that how this next storm turns out is a test if things have really changed here. Rain, it'll be just like the last few years, one or two good storms then rain and BS. If it ends up as snow, I'm really going to believe things have changed.

I just got back from the snowmobile trails. I think their standards of when they are going to open up the trails or keep them closed has dropped significantly. Some fields were great, and some had no snow at all. Years ago they would have kept everyone off to try and build a base. If this event brings decent rain down here, the trails are done.

• Like 1

That's some bad news for southern Wisconsin. That should be some rain. I feel like how these last few winters have been for everyone around me, that how this next storm turns out is a test if things have really changed here. Rain, it'll be just like the last few years, one or two good storms then rain and BS. If it ends up as snow, I'm really going to believe things have changed.

I just got back from the snowmobile trails. I think their standards of when they are going to open up the trails or keep them closed has dropped significantly. Some fields were great, and some had no snow at all. Years ago they would have kept everyone off to try and build a base. If this event brings decent rain down here, the trails are done.

I don’t believe it has much rain, if any, in southern Wisconsin.

As much as I hate it, I think the track that favors US-20 straight across is the one that will come to fruition. I just don't see this one digging far enough down to bring any appreciable accumulations for here. Way too weak for that. NAM is wanting to make this an ice event here and atm I 100% believe that.

• Like 3

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Looks like the rain/mixed stays south of the border in IL.

I don’t believe it has much rain, if any, in southern Wisconsin.

I was looking at how GFS has the cut off for rain/snow on the state boarder with some of the rain creeping north. NAM has that breakpoint way further south. Looks like the  GFS is out there compared to everything else. Didn't see the NAM, tropicaltidbits doesn't have it but I found it on pivotal. NAM looks good for me but I don't understand how the 24 hour QPF map disagrees so much with snow amounts yet the other map that snows precip rates and types seems to line up with the QPF.

Screenshot_20190120_145712.png