Historic Jan '19 Cold Wave - Polar Vortex Intrusion

Tom

Crookston,MN officially is reporting the coldest wind chill I can ever remember in MN  ( doing my job +20 years). -26F with sustained winds at 23 knots = wind chill -60F.

METAR: KCKN 291855Z AUTO 34023KT 1/2SM BKN009 OVC015 M32/M36 A3025 RMK AO2 PWINO

1/2 VIS in what? Pea Soup?

• Like 3

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Currently -10F and the wind is howling at times. Higher wind speeds should become more sustained in a bit. I filled my car with gas at noon. I was only standing outside for 20 seconds before I hopped back in car. I’m thoroughly convinced this cold is gonna be the real deal. I can’t imagine the wind chill dropping a good 25 degrees lower than it is right now later tonight. It’s absolutely brutal.

• Like 5

At this time here just NW of Grand Rapids we are getting near Blizzard conditions do not think it will last all that long but very impressive snow and blowing snow with a visibility of maybe 300 feet. Would not be a good time on the freeways. In fact there are reports of several freeways closed at this time 

Both directions of I-96 are closed from Nunica to Marne

there were too many cars involved to provide an immediate count.

County dispatchers said school buses are being called to the scene to shelter more than 100 people who are involved in the pileup. Those people were being taken to Berlin Baptist Church  
MDOT is also reporting the following highway closures:

Northbound US-131 after 124th Avenue in Allegan County.
Eastbound I-96 at M-11 (Ironwood Drive) in Ottawa County.
Westbound I-94 at 9th Street in Kalamazoo County.
The Muskegon County Sheriff’s Office says southbound US-31 at White Lake Drive is shut down due to a crash near Riley Thompson Road in Dalton Township.

It's gonna be so cold outside that for the first time ever, we have a choice if we want tomorrow off ( I work outdoors everyday)

Uh, no brainer. These temps and wind chills will kill.

Texas will sit this one out thankfully. I know you fellas love cold weather and snow, but this Texas kid is ready for a long spring :)

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Have to work at midnight- love to winter camp - got a new -40 bag for Christmas with no time to head to the Boreal Forest of N.MN which I usually do = this - No bugs. Bring it NANOOK!!

51062828_2327420467303073_4557982318588854272_n.jpg51188987_2327420563969730_7781039697219813376_n.jpg

• Like 8

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Have to work at midnight- love to winter camp - got a new -40 bag for Christmas with no time to head to the Boreal Forest of N.MN which I usually do = this - No bugs. Bring it NANOOK!!

51062828_2327420467303073_4557982318588854272_n.jpg 51188987_2327420563969730_7781039697219813376_n.jpg

The coldest I've ever sleep in is 0°F, and that was a rough night. Can't imagine -40...

Why the hell are any businesses going to be open tomorrow

So stupid

My boss told me that, if it were up to him, our store would be closed. Hell, his bosses are trying to get him to drive to a meeting in Milwaukee.

...The Artist Formerly Known as RJSnowLover...

I got 3 dogs to walk that haven't cancelled yet!

Definitely a Three Dog Night!

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

I am in Sioux Falls, SD for work, staying overnight tonight and heading back to Omaha tomorrow afternoon. 

Current temperature here in Sioux Falls is a balmy -17 with a WCI of -44. Heading to a low of -29 tonight - will be by far the coldest weather I have experienced in my life. 

It just hurts to go outside for even a few seconds... crazy cold weather! I have even seen a few wind-blown snow squalls pass through this evening, which makes it even look and feel more like Siberia. 

• Like 4