February 2019 Weather Observations and Discussion Part 2

snow_wizard

Probably would have gotten a little bit of snow if this system came in 3 hours earlier. Warming up above freezing with some very light precipitation moving in from the nw. 

How cold did you get overnight? I fell to 28. It was a pretty and frosty sunrise.

Snowing a little bit harder but the south wind has kicked in.  Amazing how many days at least some flakes have fallen from the sky this month.

One more thought about the Monday situation is keep in mind the models usually don't send moisture far enough north on the north side of a low in cases like this.  I think places from Seattle south will still get some snow even with a favorable track for Portland.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/NMME/monanom.shtml

No model on that page agrees with one another for anything in March. Tough call given were on the shoulder of the season.

These are only anomalies though.  Minus anomalies can happen in any season.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

You are starting to change your tune a bit. :P

Would be nice. I'm not aware of the track record of trends on the 06Z Euro being picked up on and being continued by the 12Z, or how common that is. Has anyone else noticed?

I followed the 06z and 18z euro runs during the last event that went to Seattle, I didn't observe any major differences between the 12z or 00z runs. They seemed pretty much inline. 

• Like 2

FWIW... the WRF shows lots of snow in Portland and southward on Monday morning and just about totally misses the Seattle area.   The snow total maps have not updated yet.   But if the 12Z ECMWF still shows the same scenario as its 00Z run then the WRF is just plain wrong about the northern extent of the snow... which happens all the time. 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

What are you 16????

After seeing all the sh*t on here the past 48 hours, I'm not going to sit back and hope I don't get snow just so some random internet people in Oregon can stop whining. You get some and you give some, and my preference on model solutions makes no difference on what will actually happen

For the record, I doubt I'll see any snow from this in the first place, I'm too far north. One can wishcast though :)

• Like 1

Some big league gusts here with light snow swirling all around. Everything is frozen solid despite it being 35. Oh the power of the dew point!

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Well it looks like Monday may end up good for Portland after all! North end of the precip will probably make to Seattle or just north at best, good for me in Tacoma id be happy with an inch of snow...good for Portland if this pans out really happy for y’all if it does!

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

I shortened the AFD and just kept the highlights...

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Seattle WA

927 AM PST Fri Feb 22 2019

winding down of activity and little if any snowfall or accumulation

expected. As such...will treat as a minor irritant at best for now.

Models diverge again after that as the ECMWF keeps a

troughy pattern over the Pac NW while the GFS ushers in a pretty

steep ridge from over the Pacific. Fortunately...no matter which

model is right regarding the upper level systems...precip and what

have you...the consensus is that snow levels will climb

throughout the long term period...getting up to the 3000-4000 ft

range by Thursday/Friday and as such any precip from Wednesday on

will be liquid. Should this remain consistent in future runs...may

finally be able to put the specter of this winter in the rear

view mirror. SMR

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Well it looks like Monday may end up good for Portland after all! North end of the precip will probably make to Seattle or just north at best, good for me in Tacoma id be happy with an inch of snow...good for Portland if this pans out really happy for y’all if it does!

This is a huge ECMWF run coming up.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

GFS ensembles are really interesting! Big dip now at PDX for Thursday/Friday, and then a lot of really cold members around the 4th. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Nws Seattle still being very conservative as usual lol, yes big run on the euro coming up will be interesting to see how it pans out

The low will probably end up crashing into San Francisco. Never underestimate the power of the Tim!
  • Like 2