July 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Many people say Oakland has the world's best climate. Not fogged in constantly like San Francisco and highs averaging in the low 70s all summer long. Problem is fog usually starts to blow back in before sunset and the temperatures drop like a rock. So if you work until 6:00, by the time you get home it's already cold outside. Not good for people who like walking in sunshine and 70s as you're stuck in the office at that time.

That's why hot weather during the day is nice. During the evening it's still nice and warm.

Many people say Oakland has the world's best climate. Not fogged in constantly like San Francisco and highs averaging in the low 70s all summer long. Problem is fog usually starts to blow back in before sunset and the temperatures drop like a rock. So if you work until 6:00, by the time you get home it's already cold outside. Not good for people who like walking in sunshine and 70s as you're stuck in the office at that time.

That's why hot weather during the day is nice. During the evening it's still nice and warm.

Most of the Bay is too dry for me. I like the Sierra Foothills as well as some places in the far north, particularly the Mount Shasta area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevada_City,_California#Climate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunsmuir,_California#Climate

These climates are both extremely good in my opinion.

Beautiful night here. A chilly 89 degrees with a DP of 70. Sweating through a shirt takes at least 15 minutes. Looks promising for scattered mosquito bites later.

Sucks for you, man. “Only” 82/72 here..IE, the summer version of radiational cooling in a swamp.

Could be another very small diurnal swing again today. High of 66 but only down to 63 as of 10pm. Yesterday was a 60/57.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Nice and comfortable 57F out there.  Nice drive up to the central WV very briefly to drop the kiddos off. These are the days where we are one of the best places to live on the planet.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Per the satellite... it looks like the perfect set up to deliver Alaskan smoke to WA and OR with northerly flow in western Canada feeding into the semi-permanent ULL trough over the PNW.    You can already see the haze on cams where there are no low clouds.   Cliff Mass also reported on this on Tuesday.

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2019/07/alaska-smoke-reaches-washington-state.html

Wet and cool and smoky... nice. 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

00z EPS backed off a little more on the ridging in the 7-10 day range compared to previous runs. Although that pattern would probably still paint some orange over us on your map of choice at face value. Relatively high heights with zonal or SW flow aloft.

Asians are afraid of the sun because they want pale skin. Suntan is not desirable within their culture. On Tuesday a bunch of people went up the Palm Springs Aerial Traway in long pants and jackets. It was about 105 in the valley and 68 on top of the mountain, but it was a warm 68 with the strong July sun and no low clouds to block it out.

Asians are afraid of the sun because they want pale skin. Suntan is not desirable within their culture. On Tuesday a bunch of people went up the Palm Springs Aerial Traway in long pants and jackets. It was about 105 in the valley and 68 on top of the mountain, but it was a warm 68 with the strong July sun and no low clouds to block it out.

Really makes me rethink my views on Japanese internment.

Happy 4th errbody. Made steaks last night and hopefully some good fair food tonight before fireworks.

Beautiful day in the south valley.

• Like 3

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope