April 2014 in the PNW

stuffradio

Absolutely perfect Spring weather. Just got back inside from 70 degrees and crystal clear skies with Dewpoint of 30 and 23% humidity.

This whole week I'll be having similar weather. No moisture in the near future showing up. Hoping I don't see anymore snow until November. That's what happened last year.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

74 at my place with sunshine.  There was some very dense fog this morning.  Somewhat rare for April.

Yeah I would think so too. Having lived near Portland much of my years that sounds more like a mid June or February inversion.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

The coast sure got screwed out of a beautiful day.

Cloudy and in the low 50s on the WA coast while its in the low to mid 70s inland.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

66F here today capped off by a beautiful sunset. Warmest day since the 75F on October 6th.

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

Dude there's not a cloud in the sky over there. Looks like you're having a decent spring compared the rest of the country..

Today was totally the exception to the rule.  I'm sure most of the country has had more sun than us.  That having been said today was very nice.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Lesson: Don't live at the coast.

I would lose my mind if I lived on the coast.  Less cold, less snow, and WAY more clouds.  Yuck.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Today was totally the exception to the rule.  I'm sure most of the country has had more sun than us.  That having been said today was very nice.

I know. I just found it a tad ironic that after hearing Tim complain 24/7, he posts a picture of a spring day more beautiful than anything I've seen thus far.

I would lose my mind if I lived on the coast.  Less cold, less snow, and WAY more clouds.  Yuck.

Lol..we're actually looking at beachfront homes in NW WA. Is it that bad?

Horrible.  The north coast does way better for snow than most of the WA coast, but the cloud cover is enough to drive people suicidal.  Much of the summer is spent in low clouds and temperatures that require a sweater.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Doing updates...

Updated Favicon for Spring
Updated "Member" permissions for self post deletion
Updated "Members Online Today" IPB Hook
Adjusted upload limits to 10MB+

I like most of the changes, but the white lettering on the picture of the sky and clouds doesn't show up that well.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Horrible. The north coast does way better for snow than most of the WA coast, but the cloud cover is enough to drive people suicidal. Much of the summer is spent in low clouds and temperatures that require a sweater.

Well hopefully when we're touring next week the weather will suck. My wife wants to live on the beach, I want to live on a ridge top somewhere, but given we've been living on one for over a decade and a half, I don't get the final say.

I told her I'll never agree to coastal California or Oregon. I'd be bored out of my mind.

Horrible.  The north coast does way better for snow than most of the WA coast, but the cloud cover is enough to drive people suicidal.  Much of the summer is spent in low clouds and temperatures that require a sweater.

And the reason that the WA coast has such depressing places like Aberdeen and Hoquiam and Forks and Ocean Shores.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Well hopefully when we're touring next week the weather will suck. My wife wants to live on the beach, I want to live on a ridge top somewhere, but given we've been living on one for over a decade and a half, I don't get the final say.

I told her I'll never agree to coastal California or Oregon. I'd be bored out of my mind.

Dude... she will kill you or leave you after a single summer on the WA coast.      Its seriously depressing.    Land of vampires.

Dude... she will kill you or leave you after a single summer on the WA coast. Its seriously depressing. Land of vampires.

Lulz. Appreciate the heads up :lol:

Dude... she will kill you or leave you after a single summer on the WA coast. Its seriously depressing. Land of vampires.

The Hoh rainforest and Olympic Coast are actually quite beautiful.

But yeah, it is a little too much on the cloudy side for me to ever consider moving there.

The Hoh rainforest and Olympic Coast are actually quite beautiful.

But yeah, it is a little too much on the cloudy side for me to ever consider moving there.

Yes... I meant depressing to actually live there. 

That has been especially true the last two years as the weather has been much more boring than normal even by CA standards.

GFS MOS has mid-60s and sunshine on Sunday now.    Really want a nice weekend here for a change.

Canadian also looks great for Sunday:

http://weather.gc.ca/data/model_forecast/colour_images/00_054_G1_north@america@zoomout_I_4PAN_CLASSIC@012_144.jpg

The coast sure got screwed out of a beautiful day.

Cloudy and in the low 50s on the WA coast while its in the low to mid 70s inland.

Thats Weird of you to say this.

Since you say I live on the coast, then your statement is completely false.

It was 69 for a high and mostly sunny all day here, and actually it was beautiful in Hoquiam most of the afternoon where we were visiting family most of the day.

Oh, and my mom who lives in Westport said it was a great weather day as well with mostly sunny skies for most of the day as well.

But, why don't you just use random observations for your opinion.

BTW Hoquiam hit 62 today, so I would say low 60's on the coast was more realistic.

Thats Weird of you to say this.

Since you say I live on the coast, then your statement is completely false.

It was 69 and mostly sunny all day here, and actually it was beautiful in Hoquiam most of the afternoon where we were visiting family most of the day.

Oh, and my mom who lives in Westport said it was a great weather day as well with mostly sunny skies for most of the day as well.

But, why don't you just use random observations for your opinion.

I guess it did clear out for a few hours this afternoon.    Hoquiam was fogged in and chilly still at 11 a.m. and fogging in again with a strong west wind by 4 p.m.    Not exactly a great day... but there was a break this afternoon.   

I was looking at observations late this morning and again at 5 p.m. and it was crappy as hell in Hoquiam both times.     Considering it was sunny and warm in the Seattle area from start to finish.

I guess it did clear out for a few hours this afternoon.    Hoquiam was fogged in and chilly still at 11 a.m. and fogging in again with a strong west wind by 4 p.m.    Not exactly a great day... but there was a break.

I was looking at observations late this morning and again at 5 p.m. and it was crappy as hell in Hoquiam both times.     Considering it was sunny in the Seattle area from start to finish... it was warm by 9 a.m. and it was a wonderfully warm (almost summer-like) evening.

Airport obs do not always tell a true tale.

The HOQ obs are taken outside of town right on the water.  

I can personally tell you that the weather in Hoquiam (populated areas) was absolutely gorgeous from at least 12 to 5 today.

I can tell you from 18 years experience living at the coast, it's unusual for transplants to take hold effectively.  Add to that the fact the beachfront aspect is a nightmare when it comes to dwelling upkeep and I'd tread carefully if I were you.  

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I guess it did clear out for a few hours this afternoon.    Hoquiam was fogged in and chilly still at 11 a.m. and fogging in again with a strong west wind by 4 p.m.    Not exactly a great day... but there was a break this afternoon.   

I was looking at observations late this morning and again at 5 p.m. and it was crappy as hell in Hoquiam both times.     Considering it was sunny and warm in the Seattle area from start to finish.

It was 69 for a high and mostly sunny WHERE I LIVE all day.  Still say I live at the "coast"?

It was 69 for a high and mostly sunny WHERE I LIVE all day.  Still say I live at the "coast"?

You are very close to the coast.

Beachfront homes in NW WA? There's probably about 2 of them. Unless you're calling the Puget Sound or the Straits "beachfront". Almost no one lives along the NW WA Pacific Coast, and for good reason.

We're looking at Moclips next week. Also ocean park.

I can tell you from 18 years experience living at the coast, it's unusual for transplants to take hold effectively.  Add to that the fact the beachfront aspect is a nightmare when it comes to dwelling upkeep and I'd tread carefully if I were you.

Thanks man. I honestly want no part of it, but unfortunately it'll be a family decision.

As for dwelling upkeep, that's already a huge problem for us, haha. We've gone through 2 roofs and dozens of shutters over a mere decade.

We're looking at Moclips next week. Also ocean park.

Ocean Park is on the SW coast, which is quite a bit more developed and is also less wet.

Long Beach Peninsula is fairly nice to visit with a decent amount of activities, likely the best area to live on the WA Coast. North of Ocean Shores...not so much.

Still looking like a nice shot of crisp air with brisk N to NW winds later in the week.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9