Part I - January 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Maybe I am hearing things but I think we just got thunder snow. I was out checking gas on the 4 wheeler and I swear I heard a rumble. Pretty cool.

DomeBuster!
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Just checked the NWS updated forecast for the Arlington area and it shows less than 1" of snow possible Sunday and Sunday night with no accumulations after that through Friday. History is being made folks. I guess I shouldn't have bragged a couple days ago that my area does well for snowfall.

Guess it’s time to move down to Oregon!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Wow... that is an awesome camera.    So clear... and pointed right at a street light to illuminate falling snow.

And wow that is lots of snow.   Same elevation as my location and completely different.

It's too bad there isn't reliable snow records recently for that area. Grotto, a little ways down the valley, got almost 200" in 1955-56.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Guest LaPineLurker

for the off chance we are wrong. Everyone thinks you are a member that got banned from here this winter.

Oh, lol.  Not sure I was here yet.  I am sensing some animosity towards this person.  Not even sure what that sex post was a minute ago.

Wow... that is an awesome camera.    So clear... and pointed right at a street light to illuminate falling snow.

And wow that is lots of snow.   Same elevation as my location and completely different.

Shows what being a little bit further east can accomplish.

It's called clown range for a reason.

Oh, lol. Not sure I was here yet. I am sensing some animosity towards this person. Not even sure what that sex post was a minute ago.

Since you are back...And before you are banned again...How was the latest NWS conference call? Are we all still getting buried?
  • Like 2

Just checked the NWS updated forecast for the Arlington area and it shows less than 1" of snow possible Sunday and Sunday night with no accumulations after that through Friday.  History is being made folks.  I guess I shouldn't have bragged a couple days ago that my area does well for snowfall.

The current forecast for Bellingham is frankly crazy. They talk about it oscillating between rain and snow between about Saturday night and Sunday night. That just doesn’t make sense to me. Once the arctic front arrives, it’s gonna be all snow.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

Shows what being a little bit further east can accomplish.

Not sure of all the specific reasons for differences.   Obviously they are in a very protected valley there and that is a huge part of it.    I just looked on a map and did not realize that Skykomish was straight north of Snoqualmie Pass.   I always think of it as being straight north of here.   I remember Phil said they had house in Skykomish as well... in a sub-division in a ritzy suburb of Skykomish at around 4,500 feet in elevation before they moved to bustling city of Stampede Pass.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Guest LaPineLurker

Really smart choice, no sales tax and all.

Did you know there is a Brownsville in Oregon?

Yes I did.  A coworker of mine is actually going over there tomorrow as his mom lives there.  Probably not a great idea huh?

Guest LaPineLurker

I actually developed some land back in the 80s between Madras and Prineville.  I don't divulge personal information but if you guys want specifics I have no problem.

Just plain weird this whole thing is.  Perhaps you should harass someone else?

Um...has Josh been exposed?

Anyways, I wasn’t too excited about this week, before I realized—- it’ll be cold, windy, and possibly snowy down here. Ensembles are fine, and even GFS is ok, there’s a lot to be decided in the next few days. We have a 980 mb low during a bunch of offshore wind— that’s cool.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Depends how you define blockiness. No, we haven't seen the -AO/-EPO/-NAO combo the past couple months, but we've still seen a weak jetstream easily displaced by persistent blocking. The map I posted clearly showed a generally blocky look overall for the NH, just not with the extreme height anomalies in the usual spots that lead to extensive mid latitude cold.

But blaming the likely failure of this upcoming event to produce a top tier regional Arctic outbreak on a "lack of blocking" makes little sense.

Let's be clear: a sub -5 PNA is the product of big-time blocking.

The PNA is largely a form of mid-latitude blocking, as opposed to high latitude blocking. It can often serve as a precursor/loading pattern to -EPO, both in its amplified positive and negative modes, but I still believe it should be classified separately.