Part I - January 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

I mean there's a lot of hyperbolic doom and gloom but the 00z euro would have to take a serious step back from even the 18z to end hope here. Sure, it's not what it was but hell we'd take this normally.1578679200-kig49WDfRAk.png

Slowly going the way of February 2019.

You think that is all I care about... but I have been fully invested in tracking the cold and snow event as well.    I am not going to stop tracking the long range though... I always do that.

I will say that I do cringe a little when people are posting ridiculous temperature and snow maps from the GFS.    We all know its not reality so why bother?    It just makes a decent reality seem really crappy in comparison.

I only jest of course.I really don't mind having a contrarian type around. Makes this place much more interesting. 

• Like 1

You think that is all I care about... but I have been fully invested in tracking the cold and snow event as well. I am not going to stop tracking the long range though... I always do that.

I will say that I do cringe a little when people are posting ridiculous temperature and snow maps from the GFS. We all know its not reality so why bother? It just makes a decent reality seem really crappy in comparison.

You were here from the beginning posting plenty of maps from across the board weather wise. I'm not seeing it this year

You think that is all I care about... but I have been fully invested in tracking the cold and snow event as well. I am not going to stop tracking the long range though... I always do that.

I will say that I do cringe a little when people are posting ridiculous temperature and snow maps from the GFS. We all know its not reality so why bother? It just makes a decent reality seem really crappy in comparison.

I vote both sides go away from using the euro ensemble control run, Jim and tim have been throwing it at each other over the last week. It seems to only show the best or worst possible outcome, neither of which ever materialize
  • Like 2

The c-zone at its peak per the 00Z ECMWF... North Seattle and Everett folks rejoice!

What is crazy is that it shows it forming along the I-90 corridor earlier and then moving NORTH and before falling apart.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-snow-3hr-

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Jaya just Tweeted this 20 minutes ago:

https://twitter.com/AlbrechtJay/status/1215872135165435904

"My forecast of 1-4 inch snowfall in the central Puget Sound area with the arctic front, temperatures in the teens to 20s early to mid week, then 3-8 inches of snow in the Everett-Seattle area hold and are supported by the 18Z and 12Z ECMWF ensemble solutions."

• Like 4

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Tracking the c-zone will have to be a real-time forecast as it develops on radar with the models bouncing around on it but the general gist is that one will form.

I don't trust any of these runs to pin down the c-zone. Just too unpredictable. Just have to wait til Sunday night and see who gets smacked.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

You can see it move down the Sound the next few frames.

By 6AM Monday...

Run the 3-hour snowfall map loop.   That c-zone starts in central King County and moves north to Everett and parks itself and then falls apart.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Is there even an SSW on the way?

Not even remotely close. ☹️

That vortex a strong motherf**ker this winter. If it happens it’ll probably be in February.

Run the 3-hour snowfall map loop.   That c-zone starts in central King County and moves north to Everett and parks itself and then falls apart.

I'm telling you.

Models always overestimate how quickly the outflow will push the c-zone South.

• Like 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

A TWF CZ conflicting report before it forms!

It moves north.   There is no doubt at all.

Then it falls apart... but there is a general area of very light snow around the entire area through Monday morning.   The active c-zone band is where the real accumulating snow will be though.   

We’ve lost Jim and Rob...

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Jaya just Tweeted this 20 minutes ago:

https://twitter.com/AlbrechtJay/status/1215872135165435904

"My forecast of 1-4 inch snowfall in the central Puget Sound area with the arctic front, temperatures in the teens to 20s early to mid week, then 3-8 inches of snow in the Everett-Seattle area hold and are supported by the 18Z and 12Z ECMWF ensemble solutions."

That will change after tonight. :(

For a while there the model runs were so good that you were relegated to the vagueries of D15 EPS maps. Now that the models have gone to hell you are able to go all out again. Welcome back!

Yep. He's as transparent as Michael Jackson before he died.

Love ya, Tim.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.