November 2023 Weather in the PNW

Tyler Mode

That is a very nice Scandinavia Ridge signal at the end of the 18z GEFS. Also hints of a Okhotsk Sea low.

Too far out to get me excited, but would def keep an eye on it.

IMG_8118.png

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Keep in mind Andrew that those temps are in C.

That’s still approaching -15°F.

Ended up with a 38/24 day here. Very solid chill for the end of November. Started out clear and frosty, but thick mid level clouds moved in by 9-10am. Ended up being a mostly cloudy and very chilly afternoon with light winds. The frost melted but there’s still ice on some puddles out there.

Overcast with a light breeze and down to 36 now. Precip type could be an interesting thing to watch tomorrow morning in some spots.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Sick 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

16 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

😂 

Is most of the snow you receive there from offshore flow? Do you ever get snow with onshore flow?

All big snows have an onshore flow/fetch, usually a NE wind at the surface. It’s the only way to get moisture in here.

Offshore (W/NW) flow is the enemy. Downsloping off the Appalachians warms/dries the boundary layer and kills precipitation.

Exceptions are Alberta clippers (less common these days) and snow squalls under deep 500mb troughs, but neither of those produce heavy accumulations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Hard to disagree with this. Definitely the favored outcome following the -WPO response.

My god what an epic pattern for East Asia. The North American equivalent of EPO/NAO ridge merger with the entire TPV trapped in S/SW Canada. Jealous af.

IMG_8117.jpeg 

IF I'm reading that right, that looks like a lot of snow for our mountains.  Strong jet, but not the warm pineapple express, so snow levels would be at normal levels.

17 minutes ago, Phil said:

All big snows have an onshore flow/fetch, usually a NE wind at the surface. It’s the only way to get moisture in here.

Offshore (W/NW) flow is the enemy. Downsloping off the Appalachians warms/dries the boundary layer and kills precipitation.

Exceptions are Alberta clippers (less common these days) and snow squalls under deep 500mb troughs, but neither of those produce heavy accumulations.

Hmm interesting. So sort of opposite here. My biggest snows need an East wind. I need to experience an East coast snowstorm someday, preferably a Nor’easter.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

Not sure what the ECMWF was smoking today, but it completely missed the cloud cover we had.  Really strange for that model.

Currently 34 in spite of the clouds.  Really impressive.

• Like 1
  • Shivering 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It's going to be interesting to see how much of the snow that falls in the mountains over the next few days will survive the torch next week.  Looks really ugly for a couple of days there.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Not sure what the ECMWF was smoking today, but it completely missed the cloud cover we had.  Really strange for that model.

Worked out perfectly with the clouds rolling in about 2hrs after daybreak and then clearing out at sunset…Kept things nice and cold today! 

• Like 2
  • Shivering 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

48 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

IF I'm reading that right, that looks like a lot of snow for our mountains.  Strong jet, but not the warm pineapple express, so snow levels would be at normal levels.

That looks more like a warm/SW flow pattern to me. Almost all of Canada would be torching. Though I suppose it’s more of a spectrum than an either-or.

It’s definitely not a cold pattern, though.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Yeah, I felt sure it would warm up with those clouds rolling in from the south this morning, but it has stayed surprisingly cold. 

58 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

Hmm interesting. So sort of opposite here. My biggest snows need an East wind. I need to experience an East coast snowstorm someday, preferably a Nor’easter.

Yeah pretty much. We don’t have a giant ocean sitting immediately upstream like you guys do in the PNW lowlands. All you need is cold, and snow is virtually guaranteed. Seems like a pretty simple equation.

Meanwhile, we need a perfectly timed phasing of jets and proper 500mb vort track/latitude, and the in-situ airmass cannot be significantly warmer than average. If any of these variables are slightly out of sync, then it’s either ice/rain, or a complete miss.

It’s a lot more finicky. Some of the coldest winters (like 76/77) can fail in the snowfall department, while very warm winters like 15/16 can produce blizzards when factors align perfectly.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

This is not too shabby at all on the 18z GFS.  Nice cold shot with northerly surface gradients at this time.  This dovetails with some of the hints we have seen from the EPS and EPS control.

1702512000-iD9SZDqBZj4.png

• Like 9

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

8 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

15 years ago RIGHT NOW the models were beginning to offer some hints.

I remember that! It was Steve Pierce’s post on the forum talking about those hints that really started getting me pumped about the possibilities. 
Sure wish we still had those forum archives to look at and relive the glory days. 

• Like 5
  • Popcorn 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

The analogs keep saying we are in a better place than we could be given the Nino.  Still a lot of good year sin the mix, including good Nino winters.

• Like 5

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9