January 2024 Weather in the PNW (Part I)

Just now, Frontal Snowsquall said:

Arctic Front reaches Oregon by Thursday afternoon. The 🇬🇧 is flexing its muscle tonight. Good to have it on our side. It’s the 2nd best model in the World just behind the EURO.

IMG_2476.thumb.png.6ab4fb5a3ac78aa6426874ec6fcc1c61.png

Is it really second best?

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, GHweatherChris said:

Sometimes it feels like every model is injected with some sort of protocol data at first, then not, once removed it gives climo results and then bam climo goes out the window and we back to greatness, that may seem jibberish but its just a thought.

It's a physics engine based off heat and mass transfer.

• Like 2

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Even with the pink at the border Washington can get totally nuked with snow no problem.  

IDK the PNW lowlands' climate, but around here the arrival of the pink is just going to shut the snow off lol

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Even with the pink at the border Washington can get totally nuked with snow no problem.  

Totally agree. 

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Amazing how the big picture is still so much the same as it has been up until day 5 or so and then one little thing sends the GFS into a tizzy.  Just as easy for the 6z to come back colder than ever.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

That is another strange aspect of this... the cold air just blossoms out of nowhere.   Aren't we normally tapping into an existing arctic air mass in these situations... like coming down from AK or retrograde?    I guess that's why we can have run where it all disappears.

This always happens with good high latitude blocking. There is still very cold air up there to tap into, just need the right pattern to force it down.

• Like 3

A forum for the end of the world.

2 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

90% sure DaBears is on here, but it's definitely not Sunriver.

Now I'm curious what's the back story behind dabears

• Like 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated April 29th) 88"

Snow depth at my home (updated April 29th) late season 1"!

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated April 29th) 92"!!

2 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

Could be some initialization funkiness (recon flight data incorporated today or something?) and all models will be thrown off until next 12z runs

It just seems like typical gfs OP flailing. It’s not tracked as much when snow and cold aren’t a possibility in the runs…but how often do details massively change on the gfs with just standard rain events? It’s not exaggeration when people say it’s a horrible model. It’s just much more obvious when it’s under the scrutiny it is during an event like this. 

• Like 6

That trend of the block weakening has been worrying me since this morning. It’s gotten weaker and weaker in every run today. Need it to start trending the other direction quick.

00z GFS tonight looks similar to the 12z GFS yesterday. That run yesterday was one really bad run sandwiched between great runs, which was also caused by the block getting screwed up. 

pls euro

• Like 3

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s

5 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

GEFS is not in the business of throwing the whole pattern away after D7 like the operational.

But it is certainly trending the polar low further east. Looks very similar to the operational. But it's the GFS so who cares.

• Like 1

Just now, TacomaWx said:

It just seems like typical gfs OP flailing. It’s not tracked as much when snow and cold aren’t a possibility in the runs…but how often do details massively change on the gfs with just standard rain events? It’s not exaggeration when people say it’s a horrible model. It’s just much more obvious when it’s under the scrutiny it is during an event like this. 

This.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Amazing how the big picture is still so much the same as it has been up until day 5 or so and then one little thing sends the GFS into a tizzy.  Just as easy for the 6z to come back colder than ever.

It seemed like model consensus the last two days was to bring the arctic air all the way down into the SW US.   Now that doesn't seem like its on the table.    There has definitely been a trend today for less amplitude.   Which can also mean much more snowy for WA.  

• Like 4

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Tonight's storm is effing everything up, was only supposed to see up to 1/2 inch of rain and already up to .55" of rain with moderate to heavy rain looking to last quite awhile per radar, this is the culprit.

Edited by GHweatherChris
  • Like 1
  • Rain 1

5 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

Could be some initialization funkiness (recon flight data incorporated today or something?) and all models will be thrown off until next 12z runs

There is that low around Anadyr that the GFS has been breaking down which isn’t amping the ridge as much. The other models keep that low consolidated.

Im wondering how much resolution is at play with that discrepancy.

• Like 6

Just now, Rubus Leucodermis said:

January 2011 busted within 48 hours, didn’t it? Now that was a bust!

It’s not even 120 hours out yet. We just don’t get the sort of great January busts they had in the good old days.

January sucks these days.

Nah, it was like 4-5 days out. And January 2011 was progged pretty consistently in the 5-8ish day range as a battlefield setup with tons of baroclinic stuff and things of a white variety. High risk/high reward stuff.

• Like 5

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

2 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Yeah it’s kinda crazy we give the GFS the attention we do. I think a lot of it is because it’s one of the few to run at 6z and 18z that go the full length and ppl get bored in the middle of the night and afternoon without many other runs.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Doinko said:

Looks like a major blast on the way! Here's another view
500h_anom.conus.png

I have a feeling the Euro will look similar to this later.

• Like 3

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

2 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

It’s not even 120 hours out yet. We just don’t get the sort of great January busts they had in the good old days.

Matt mentioned similarities to 2011 earlier today.   I don't remember the lead up to that event at all.   I barely remember what happened last week.  

• Like 1
  • lol 2

2 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Pretty sure it started to crumble with most models like 4-5 days out.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Just now, TT-SEA said:

Matt mentioned similarities to 2011 earlier today.   I don't remember the lead up to that event at all.   I barely remember what happened last week.  

Models were showing 20+ inches in Seattle and a day before the pullback started and we got cold rain.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

That was smart assery… kinda…

Depending on where it goes, this one will at least have had 36 hours or so of runs that went full latitude and full regional. I don’t think 1/11 ever did.

• Like 5
  • Weenie 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.