1 minute ago, ajreich said:

Huh? The GEFS went a lot farther towards the cold solutions in the last 3 days than other models warmed up. The GEFS went from a Sunday temp of 40+ in PDX 48 hours ago to a Sunday temp in the 20s last night. Euro went from low 20s to mid 20s in the same timeframe!

GFS killed it days ago, and honestly its pretty much dead across the board, so...  nothing to really write home about when all is said and done.

• Weenie 2
  • bongocat-test 1

1 minute ago, Front Ranger said:

You have to look a few days prior. Just as the GOA block we're seeing mature now is preceding the cold intrusion later this week. Loading pattern.

I didn’t mean to stumble into the middle of a Philatiron p*ssing match. Just was commenting on that specific map at face value.

• lol 1
  • Spam 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

2 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

You have to look a few days prior. Just as the GOA block we're seeing mature now is preceding the cold intrusion later this week. Loading pattern.

Another view on the blocking pattern on Pacific side leading up to the event in Dec 1968. Far cry from what we're seeing now.

compday.oStny0xWJN.gif

A forum for the end of the world.

4 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

GFS killed it days ago, and honestly its pretty much dead across the board, so...  nothing to really write home about when all is said and done.

So….you don’t want to have an evidence-informed discussion?

• Like 3

Location 850’ NW Hills in Portland

4 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Another view on the blocking pattern on Pacific side leading up to the event in Dec 1968. Far cry from what we're seeing now.

compday.oStny0xWJN.gif

That is mediocre. Stop messing with the colors dude.

Here’s the period of interest. Animated by day.

IMB_EqaN9V.gif

• Popcorn 1
  • Weenie 2

9 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

It’s just his typical hard on for all things me…

• scream 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

The 500mb anomaly associated with the GOA this week reaches roughly +330dm at peak. That is actually a greater anomaly than that of Dec 1968.

It’s all about subtleties in the evolution of the blocking. 1968 evolved more favorably in Siberia/Eurasia and the western arctic, and timing of the inception of -NAO was more favorable.

IMB_EqaN9V.gif

IMG_9421.gif

7 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Yes. Only if your aircraft is a Max-9. 

That would be clutch. Thanks Boeing. Maybe I’ll get an up close view of the snow falling from the clouds. Then I can pretend I’m a snowflake when I get sucked out and drift to earth

• lol 2

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

That is mediocre. Stop messing with the colors dude.

Here’s the period of interest. Animated by day.

IMB_EqaN9V.gif

I didn't "mess with the colors". You're clearly not going to be reasonable in this discussion, so I'm done trying.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I'm always learning and i will NEVER discount the gfs again. It is one of the worlds most powerful model and we were laughing at it like a atari computer. 

i still think its details are bollocks, but I think we  can agree that if the GFS isnt showing a blast for us it isnt going to happen. Rule #1 the craziest model should be showing the craziest stuff!! 

3 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

I didn't "mess with the colors". You're clearly not going to be reasonable in this discussion, so I'm done trying.

Look at the anomalies associated with the current block versus the one in 1968. This year’s block is stronger, ironically.

There’s a lot more going on here than the strength of GOA block, if you’re looking for why 1968 evolved differently.

• Popcorn 1

1 minute ago, RentonHill said:

i still think its details are bollocks, but I think we  can agree that if the GFS isnt showing a blast for us it isnt going to happen. Rule #1 the craziest model should be showing the craziest stuff!! 

You may not be wrong. For sure want to have the big 3 at least all in good agreement 4-6 days out.

• Like 2

Just now, Phil said:

Look at the anomalies associated with the current block versus the one in 1968. This year’s block is stronger, ironically.

There’s a lot more going on here than the strength of GOA block, if you’re looking for why 1968 evolved differently.

We don't know yet Phil, we just don't know. ;)

• scream 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

4 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

It’s also not like the gfs didn’t move in agreement with the other models at the same time though. But the gfs does deserve a bit of credit here. 

• Like 1

Just now, SilverFallsAndrew said:

We don't know yet Phil, we just don't know. ;)

True! It ain’t over till it’s over.