1 hour ago, RaleighHillsRunner said:

Someone may have posted already but a WWA up for pdx tonight. Sitting at 350’ west hills area, curious to see how this first shot plays out ❄️ 

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO6 AM PST WEDNESDAY ABOVE 500 FEET... 

* WHAT...Snow expected above 500 feet. Total snow accumulations of 1 to 3 inches. 

* WHERE...Greater Portland Metro Area. 

* WHEN...From 10 PM this evening to 6 AM PST Wednesday. 

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. 

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Snow is mainly expected to impact higher elevations such as the West Hills. Slushy slow will be possible down to the valley floor, but little or no accumulation is expected below 500 feet.

I’m sitting right at 500 feet. Hoping to get a few inches.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

are strong ninos the same as 'garden variety' ninos in these regards?  I do not know in this region, still learning

ENSO and climatology goes way over my head-- that being said we've had recent "super Niños" that have ended up much wetter for the NW than CA-- and weak Niños that slam southern areas disproportionately 

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

3 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

GFS isn't trending south. Looks like a wobble to me. Consistently in the same 20-25 miles landing range. 

It wobbled me from 19 inches to 26!  Pure fantasy.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cold Snap said:

The Spire gives WA a good dumping on the past two runs.

And the WRF..., this solution is lumping ALL the bad models XD

• Downvote 1

01/11/24 CZ: 400' in south Lynnwood

6 minutes ago, Perturbed Member said:

Not sure if this was already posted but the 12z GraphCast continues to look...the same?

SW WA/NW OR is on the northern edge. 

image.thumb.png.ade058305fbaf1d6a8a605a5c6933ce9.png

We’re in a good spot. The moisture lifts north on Saturday. It’s looking more likely we might not have to deal with much ice in PDX.

• Like 2
  • Sick 1

4 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

yeah but at this time short term models are more reliable for tonight.  GFS more for pattern recognition and its right on that, no?

Short term models are probably more reliable for either at this point than Goofy.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

The only other model showing what the GFS shows is the NAVGEM. And there’s a reason why it’s never mentioned. It’s not that good of a model.

IMG_2677.thumb.png.232903ccb82ffa3653b49e2414155b04.png

Washington members look at this and have hope the GFS is right.  And Oregon posters will look at this and say “nope, no way the NAVGEM beats the Euro. 😂 

• Excited 1
  • lol 1
  • Popcorn 1

5 minutes ago, Kayla said:

We've got ourselves a good'ol fashioned OR and WA forum showdown!

Nice thing is, there's so many ways for people to score with this, it may end up being the elusive...

REGIONAL EVENT

• Like 5
  • lol 1

A forum for the end of the world.

2 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Washington posters are in the denial stage but the acceptance stage will start soon. 

Naa it's all for fun, I will take the colder with less snow solution any day.  Good chance there will be more chances with the colder euro.

• Like 4
  • Excited 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

I’m thinking we may not know where that storm this weekend is going to go because it seems like the track is based on how far south the arctic air makes it. Not sure if that’s what’s affecting the track of the storm though.

• Like 1

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

1 minute ago, Front Ranger said:

Nice thing is, there's so many ways for people to score with this, it may end up being the elusive...

REGIONAL EVENT

That would require it to make it to the south Willamette Valley which is still fairly unlikely.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

2 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Washington posters are in the denial stage but the acceptance stage will start soon. 

I have no doubt at all that Portland is going to get way more snow than Seattle and especially points north.  

• Downvote 1

Just now, TigerWoodsLibido said:

That would require it to make it to the south Willamette Valley which is still fairly unlikely.

I think we'll get some ice this weekend. No snow, sadly, but Euro shows ZR followed by a pretty significant flash freeze type event.

• Popcorn 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

5 minutes ago, Requiem said:

ENSO and climatology goes way over my head-- that being said we've had recent "super Niños" that have ended up much wetter for the NW than CA-- and weak Niños that slam southern areas disproportionately 

Yeah there has been no el nino or stj for for the southern west coast so far this winter. The jet stream has been from the Pnw up into Alaska. We have had one coastal cut off low and a couple inside sliders. This year is top 5 dry everywhere in the state outside of the cut off low landfall location. 

That's why I haven't discredited the Gfs solution yet as it evaporates the Sat storm before it makes it to California which would be a continuation of this winter so far. 

4 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

Washington members look at this and have hope the GFS is right.  And Oregon posters will look at this and say “nope, no way the NAVGEM beats the Euro. 😂 

Either way Portland gets buried.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, AlTahoe said:

That's why I haven't discredited the Gfs solution yet as it evaporates the Sat storm before it makes it to California which would be a continuation of this winter so far. 

18z is an improvement over 12z, though.

A forum for the end of the world.

5 minutes ago, van city said:

So much drooling over phantom snow. 

Yup. Will be shutting the place down and redirecting to the Canadian forum where the moderation there can put the clamp down.

• Like 3
  • lol 2
  • Sun 1
  • scream 1
  • Weenie 1
  • Shivering 1

34 minutes ago, Mid Valley Duck said:

More evidence to show it's outlierish solution
image.thumb.png.8f8863db505701ff34cd567b3a1a4081.png

I dunno, that little cluster around the northern OR coast…methinks whoever called between Astoria and Long Beach earlier might be onto something 🤔 

• Like 2

Portland | Raleigh Hills/West Sylvan | 350’

”All models are wrong, some are useful.”

-G. Box

I think a part 3 to this forum topic tomorrow or tonight will be fitting to complete imo what will be one of the most legendary arctic blast forum discussions ever, as a trilogy

• Like 2
  • Excited 2
  • Shivering 1

45 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

image.png

Yeah yeah!!!!

If that snow was actually falling and not drying out, that looks like bonefide white-out conditions IMBY with such a tight Fraser gradient. I'm eye-balling that as well past -20.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1