Just now, MillCreekMike said:

NAM is very underwhelming for the Puget Sound with the arctic front. Note that it said I would get nothing with the 12/2021 arctic front 8 hours before the event started when I got 5”, and that I would get 10” with a snowstorm last winter the night before and I got 2”.

I don't remember the models being dry for the December 2021 event... but maybe forgetting something.   That one seemed like it was going to be wet going into it because of more over water trajectory and a low off the coasts spinning in copious moisture.   We were in Hawaii for the lead up to that event and I remember telling my family we might not be able to get into the driveway when we get back because the models looked so wet.   And that actually happened.   We had to park down the road and hike in.   My sons were wearing flip flops and shorts at the time despite many warnings that would not be pleasant.  😀

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

🤣

Screenshot2024-01-10at18_26_09.png.70d283824762989e58ffedbb993060b8.pngScreenshot2024-01-10at18_26_50.png.df4b212c9229bb8196975815673aed8a.png

Its true.   I don't think more of a southward shift is in the cards and there is probably an top end on the northward trend but that part is more unclear.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

5 minutes ago, Requiem said:

I think we may have locked on-- NAM looks fairly similar if not slightly more north 

Every run of multiple models are different on every run. How can we be locked? 

• Like 4
  • Popcorn 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

2 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Did the 18Z Euro shift north or not?

Yes... and I made the northward extent post after the 18Z run.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I don't remember the models being dry for the December 2021 event... but maybe forgetting something.   That one seemed like it was going to be wet going into it because of more over water trajectory and a low off the coasts spinning in copious moisture.   We were in Hawaii for the lead up to that event and I remember telling my family we might not be able to get into the driveway when we get back because the models looked so wet.   And that actually happened.   We had to park down the road and hike in.   My sons were wearing flip flops and shorts at the time despite many warnings that would not be pleasant.  😀

This was the 00z NAM the night the snow started. North King and South Snohomish county are white. This made me lose so much trust in the NAM 😂

C9CC8D58-AC48-440A-8E88-80DCA26724C2.thumb.jpeg.b28003aa7b411ddb061d2983693d834e.jpeg

• Like 4

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s

Just now, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Well the 00Z NAM is really close to the ECMWF so that helps..

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Low landfall location on most models but the GFS haven't been too drastically different in the past few runs 

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Was the NAM crazy cold before?  Because this run is way warmer at the 850mb level by Saturday morning.   I honestly don't know.  

nam-218-all-nw-t850_c_dprog-5158000.png

• Sun 1

4 minutes ago, Doinko said:

First system on the NAM, it looks like another may be approaching

snku_024h-imp.us_nw.png

Lock it in!!! Would be nice if Eugene could also get in on some action so it could be valley wide, but at least we will all potentially see some sub freezing highs.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MillCreekMike said:

This was the 00z NAM the night the snow started. North King and South Snohomish county are white. This made me lose so much trust in the NAM 😂

C9CC8D58-AC48-440A-8E88-80DCA26724C2.thumb.jpeg.b28003aa7b411ddb061d2983693d834e.jpeg

Yea. That map had my location in central King county for 1'', got 5'' in the end

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MillCreekMike said:

NAM is very underwhelming for the Puget Sound with the arctic front. Note that it said I would get nothing with the 12/2021 arctic front 8 hours before the event started when I got 5”, and that I would get 10” with a snowstorm last winter the night before and I got 2”.

Some of the local news stations and the UW Dawgcast seem pretty bullish on someone getting up to 2” of snow where some of those snow bands stall.

• Like 4

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

On the 12z NAM the northern-most extension of the precip shield was in Salem. On the 00z NAM the northern-most extension is Centralia.

• Like 1

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s

1 minute ago, MillCreekMike said:

On the 12z NAM the northern-most extension of the precip shield was in Salem. On the 00z NAM the northern-most extension is Centralia.

Could just be models coming into agreement... its just about exactly the same as the ECMWF now.    

Just now, Doinko said:

A lot snowier though

Fwiw the 18z had more moisture overall (and more further north)

• Like 3

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

4 minutes ago, MillCreekMike said:

Still a few days to go to get that shield up to Bellingham! 

• Like 2
  • Excited 3

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

4 minutes ago, lowlandsnow said:

A little warmer than last run

1705158000-92LI71ZSaH0.png

The 850mb temp on Saturday morning over Seattle on the 12Z run was -17C and on the 00Z run its -8C.    Crazy big change there but maybe not at the surface.  

nam-218-all-nw-t850-5158000.png

nam-218-all-nw-t850-5158000 (1).png

4 minutes ago, Doinko said:

A lot snowier though

00Z NAM vs ECMWF.    NAM is definitely snowier for Portland.  

nam-218-all-nw-snow_48hr-5233600.png

ecmwf-deterministic-nw-snow_48hr-5233600.png

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

The 850mb temp on Saturday morning over Seattle on the 12Z run was -17C and on the 00Z run its -8C.    Crazy big change there but maybe not at the surface.  

nam-218-all-nw-t850-5158000.png

nam-218-all-nw-t850-5158000 (1).png

It’s over. 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Just now, MossMan said:

It’s over. 

Actually that is the trend you want to see if you want lots of snow! 

• Like 4
  • Snow 1

1 minute ago, GHweatherChris said:

I am starting to thing precip is going to be plentifully well up into Washington Saturday, not just cuz I am hoping (obviously am) but ya, just a feeling.

Have to say I am starting to get that sense as well.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, FroYoBro said:

NAM

Yep... 18Z NAM was just stupid.    00Z NAM agrees with ECMWF now at 850mb level as well.