February 2024 Weather in the PNW

1 minute ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

When I was a kid in Illinois my parents were like "When you're an adult you won't be so happy to see it snow." Nope, never happened.

My son is like that... he will never grow out of his love of snow.   

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

15 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Also his specific area seems to do incredibly well even compared to other places over there.    If Poulsbo and Bremerton and Silverdale get significant snow then it probably gets more attention. 

Except many models do show most of Kitsap County scoring and Kitsap has its own forecast zone (in part because of situations like this). Yet no mention of snow in that forecast.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

36 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

San Diego transplants are probably the people who love to see snow.    My guess is its the natives who are more likely to be the ones who don't want to be bothered and prefer it stays in the mountains.    But you love to create those divisions and have always hated transplants.   Remember transplants are the people who chose to live in a place.  People have no choice in where they are born. 

lol.

January/February 2022 was my freshman year here at OSU and I remember a girl from San Diego complaining about the lack of rain. 

I think she got her wish a couple months afterward.

• Like 2
  • Storm 1
  • Weenie 1

18 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

When I was a kid in Illinois my parents were like "When you're an adult you won't be so happy to see it snow." Nope, never happened.

Same, I do know some family and friends that don’t like the snow when it does occur. Hard to compute in my brain since it’s not like it happens here that often. 

• Like 3

My parents moved from MN to Bellingham in 2006.   They met so many people up there.   My mom still goes to lunch 3 or 4 times a week with friends even now that my dad is gone.    Most of their friends up there are from some place else.   Lots of Midwest transplants in Whatcom County.    Both of my parents fell in the love with area.   I strongly challenge the notion that transplants hate it and are only happy in July.   I really feel like transplants have a greater appreciation than many natives.    Again... because they chose to move to a place.    

I am not sure why... but there are few people on here who seem to desperately want transplants to hate it.    Ironically some of those people are the ones who really want to leave.  

• Like 1
  • bongocat-test 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

5 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Same, I do know some family and friends that don’t like the snow when it does occur. Hard to compute in my brain since it’s not like it happens here that often. 

As long as it doesn’t happen after Valentine’s 😡 

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

5 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Sh*t I’ll take snow whenever I can get it here. Hoping for even a dusting of snow Thursday morning but we will see, about as marginal as it gets. 

I’m becoming mildly interested in how things play out down here. Looks like 3-4 solidly chilly days at least. Snow levels should be low at points.

• Like 2

Today ended up much chillier than anticipated. 39/29. Currently clear and 34.

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

21 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I’m becoming mildly interested in how things play out down here. Looks like 3-4 solidly chilly days at least. Snow levels should be low at points.

Nice to see the long range improvements too. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Then again, I don't like 90+ temperatures and my climate doesn't see many of those.

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

San Diego transplants are probably the people who love to see snow.    My guess is its the natives who are more likely to be the ones who don't want to be bothered and prefer it stays in the mountains.    But you love to create those divisions and have always hated transplants.   Remember transplants are the people who chose to live in a place.  People have no choice in where they are born. 

lol.

my god this is truly exhausting @iFredhow do we force tim to mute jesse or vice versa in order to prevent this endlessly embarrassing daily bickering

• Thanks 2
  • Popcorn 1

4 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Leap Day madness!!

One more day for February to February!

LEAPDAYGFS18Z.png

We had 12” on leap day 2012

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

My son is like that... he will never grow out of his love of snow.   

I grew up with little to no snow in SC.  after college my first real job was in Northern NH.  I got my fill of snow in 5 winters there.  I was too poor to hire snow removal services or to buy a blower (I worked for a non profit as an intern, Mt Washington weather Observatory)   I shovelled the drive and since the house we rented was at the bottom of a hill all the plowed snow from the street buried our mailbox constantly.  so I had to shovel that out all the time.  first winter there we had 145" of snow and didn't see the ground 5 months.  we still had snow piles in the shade in early june.  That was the most severe winter there in the 5 years I was there but each winter had at least 70".  got tired of it and moved back south to the carolinas and lived around the south for 8 years until a new job in GIS mapping brought me to CA in 2012 to work in software development.  Got bored with coastal CA weather and would drive up to Tahoe when we lived in Santa Cruz or Mammoth or Big Bear when we lived in Long Beach to get snow fix.  after 6 years in CA new job transferred me to Spokane.  I shovelled the first 3 winters and then bought a blower. after covid my work travel increased 50% and my wife does not want to deal with using the blower and shovelling (and has a bad back) so we now pay for removal services through our landscaper.  I'm fine with it.  Might sell the blower.

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

My parents moved from MN to Bellingham in 2006.   They met so many people up there.   My mom still goes to lunch 3 or 4 times a week with friends even now that my dad is gone.    Most of their friends up there are from some place else.   Lots of Midwest transplants in Whatcom County.    Both of my parents fell in the love with area.   I strongly challenge the notion that transplants hate it and are only happy in July.   I really feel like transplants have a greater appreciation than many natives.    Again... because they chose to move to a place.    

I am not sure why... but there are few people on here who seem to desperately want transplants to hate it.    Ironically some of those people are the ones who really want to leave.  

It is a special place. Went to a tractor show a couple times with my dad. It does have a rural/ Midwest culture to it. Lynden especially has an Anywhere, USA aesthetic and culture to it. It’s a culture I have an affinity to. And now that our three kids have passports, we’ll be making more trips across the line. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bainbridgekid said:

I honestly think so few people live out there they just largely ignore it and focus their time on where 90% of people live. It's lame but there's no other good explanation for why they so often ignore Hood Canal only events till after the snow is piling up there 

You'd be surprised how many people live all along the canal and west kitsap. 

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

10 minutes ago, Groundhog said:

It is a special place. Went to a tractor show a couple times with my dad. It does have a rural/ Midwest culture to it. Lynden especially has an Anywhere, USA aesthetic and culture to it. It’s a culture I have an affinity to. And now that our three kids have passports, we’ll be making more trips across the line. 

My Great Aunt and Uncle lived in Bellingham most of my life, but moved to Lynden in the late 2000s.

1 hour ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

It is an interesting set up even if we don’t get any snow here. Just based on it being February the odds of us getting 1/2” of snow are up from 10% to 30% lol. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, OysterPrintout said:

my god this is truly exhausting @iFredhow do we force tim to mute jesse or vice versa in order to prevent this endlessly embarrassing daily bickering

So exhausting.  🤣

Call out San Diego transplants and might get a San Diego transplant response.   He wanted it.

28 minutes ago, Groundhog said:

A real quaintness to rural Whatcom County.   Enhanced by incredible mountain views.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

00z NAM continues to be nutty snowy for Central and South Sound.  Kuchera map. 

snku_acc-imp.us_state_wa (4).png

Haven't seen a run that doesn't show decent snow west of Seattle... seems like a lock for that area.   

nam-nest-washington-total_snow_kuchera-8084800.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OysterPrintout said:

Look man, if you don't like a Mediterranean climate and are not looking forward to the chaparral covering the foothills and hillsides covered in Ponderosa, Montezuma, Juniper, and Pinon, then you just don't like weather. If people want snow, they can move to it. I'll be with Tim and 2/3rds of the Canadian forum, sipping Mai Tai's on the shores of Lake Sammamish as we enjoy our new climate.

• lol 2
  • Popcorn 1
  • bongocat-test 1

No offense to anyone, but I just think of W. Washington from Seattle-north as a place working families cannot afford to live. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, iFred said:

Look man, if you don't like a Mediterranean climate and are not looking forward to the chaparral covering the foothills and hillsides covered in Ponderosa, Montezuma, Juniper, and Pinon, then you just don't like weather. If people want snow, they can move to it. I'll be with Tim and 2/3rds of the Canadian forum, sipping Mai Tai's on the shores of Lake Sammamish as we enjoy our new climate.

😀

I found it even more exhausting to watch those Almost Live videos being posted this afternoon!   That took way longer than reading my paragraph saying maybe San Diego transplants actually want snow.    

@MossMan @T-Town I always love the Almost Live stuff... fascinating look at 1990s Seattle.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, iFred said:

I think you meant manzanita. which actually already grows as far north as southern BC. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

No offense to anyone, but I just think of W. Washington from Seattle-north as a place working families cannot afford to live. 

Pretty borderline here south of Seattle also in terms of affordability for most folks. Farther south also so takes longer for arctic air to reach us :( 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

We are a working family and live north of Seattle! We are smart with the money we make and we do okay. 

Edited by MossMan
  • Like 1
  • Weenie 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!