March 2024 Weather in the PNW

Models seem to be picking up on something Sunday evening.  Looks like some moisture trains off of the south slopes of the Olympics in WSW flow.  That can work for the Central Puget Sound / South Sound.  This GFS run at least tries for something early next week as well.

• Like 6

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 hour ago, BLI snowman said:

Definitely snowed in the Portland metro that month, maybe not much if you were down at sea level. We had 2-3" on St. Patrick's Day morning in Clark County, plus 1/2" or so on the 7th.

Standout stuff for the early 2000s snow dark ages.

The Jan 1999 through 2005-06 period should never be talked about.  D**n near drove me over the edge.

• Like 4
  • Excited 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, OysterPrintout said:

I totally agree that what you're doing is a service to the forum and not at all extremely embarrassing

Sounds good.   

I will highlight his posts that directly mock and belittle other people.   At least he can't play innocent.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

35 minutes ago, DeepFriedEgg said:

I see the wheels are finally flying off the forum wagon. Weenie posts are at an all time high. I guess reality sucks. I hate being right.

Remember, just gotta get through the summer folks.

What exactly were you right about?

I remember something like it won't snow anywhere in the lowlands? 

If that is what you said then you couldn't be more wrong. 

• Like 7

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

13 minutes ago, OysterPrintout said:

I totally agree that what you're doing is a service to the forum and not at all extremely embarrassing

And so is what you are doing! And what I’m doing!!! Service jobs all around. 

• Like 3
  • Excited 1
  • Troll 1

4 minutes ago, Randyc321 said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news Tim, but @OysterPrintoutwas mocking you.  Can't trust an Oregonian anyway. 😂

I am well aware... and don't care.   Plenty of people on here feel the same as I do.   If you don't want to be highlighted for mocking and belittling other people then don't do it.    

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I am well aware... and don't care.   Plenty of people on here feel the same as I do.   If you don't want to be highlighted for mocking and belittling other people then don't do it.    

ok fine I'll stop harping on it as long as you stop inexplicably adding like 7 spaces after every period I know other people on here feel the same as I do.

• lol 2
  • Popcorn 1

45 minutes ago, DeepFriedEgg said:

I see the wheels are finally flying off the forum wagon. Weenie posts are at an all time high. I guess reality sucks. I hate being right.

Remember, just gotta get through the summer folks.

Nyberg?

• Like 5
  • lol 4
  • Popcorn 1
  • scream 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Some sun coming out now.   Did see a few snowflakes on the backside of that band.  

Screenshot_20240301-150218_Chrome.jpg

51 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I enjoy it because I know how much the mountains need it. That actually matters to me beyond how it looks on the excel spreadsheet I made for my next grant application. And even at face value this weather pattern it isn’t that unenjoyable. Active. Wintery. I enjoyed seeing the flakes fly this morning. Even getting some sunbreaks now! Curious how that system tonight will play out. Definitely looking forward to the updated snotel numbers tomorrow. Truly miserable stuff.

I can respect that. I've also been looking at the snotel numbers every day. It doesn't help me like this weather though. 

My mood improved when we got a sunbreak here. I know it's a subconscious sun / vitamin D thing for me more than anything else. 37 and rain in November doesn't bug me like does it March. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

I can respect that. I've also been looking at the snotel numbers every day. It doesn't help me like this weather though. 

My mood improved when we got a sunbreak here. I know it's a subconscious sun / vitamin D thing for me more than anything else. 37 and rain in November doesn't bug me like does it March. 

Totally agree... the days are so short from Nov-Feb anyways so nothing much bothers me.   And I know March can be nasty as well.   But I am sure its human nature to have higher hopes as the days get longer despite what a few people will say on here.  

9 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

@AlTahoe any pics? Apologies if I've missed.

I've been looking sown there, so far nothing crazy yet but it looks like things are ramping up tonight. He probably has had around a foot from. What I see

• Like 1

These showers are colder than yesterday and last night

That 15 minute hail storm dropped temp from 37 to 34 and ended with light snow. Looks like the bulk of the action will stay offshore tonight though.

• Like 2

I posted in the wrong month. 

I saw some wet snow falling around 10am at the school I work at. Too bad those organized showers didn’t move in a few hours earlier before sunrise, but at least I saw some flakes down here! It is up to a sweltering 43 degrees now. 

• Like 6

Looks like wind turns easterly tonight with warmer 925mb temps... then a strong south wind returns by morning.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-wnd10m_stream_mph-1709316000-1709316000-1709424000-20.gif

• Troll 2

Rained turned to snow. Very wet so not much stickage and in the mid 30's.

• Like 1

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Looks like wind turns easterly tonight with warmer 925mb temps... then a strong south wind returns by morning.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-wnd10m_stream_mph-1709316000-1709316000-1709424000-20.gif

Every run is different.  Tonight was forecasted to have even lower snow levels. I have zero trust in the models the next 48hrs, especially the euro. Watching radar and temps will be the best forecast guarantee. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Every run is different.  Tonight was forecasted to have even lower snow levels. I have zero trust in the models the next 48hrs, especially the euro. Watching radar and temps will be the best forecast guarantee. 

ECMWF has been consistent with system going west and warmer 925mb temps overnight and then south wind returning behind low.   Interesting that in this case the south wind brings back colder air aloft.

• Confused 1

Just now, TT-SEA said:

ECMWF has been consistently with system going west and warmer 925mb temps overnight and then south wind returning behind low.  

What does it show the 925 should be right now?

3 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

What does it show the 925 should be right now?

First map is now... then 1 a.m.  and then 10 a.m.    

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t925-9337600.png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t925-9370000.png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t925-9402400.png

46 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Turned into beautiful afternoon.    Car temp said 43 when I parked.

20240301_154737.jpg

Hiking Mt. Si on a day like today would be a weather nerd's playbox. I kind of regret not showing up today with a cup of coffee and my Kestrel 5500FW

• Like 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

Interesting that the 925mb temps warm tonight and then drop during the day tomorrow.   The opposite of what you would expect at this time of year.

Of course at the time of the coldest map above there is no precip and its actually sunny.  

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-precip_1hr_inch-9402400.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Very fine line here, even a shift 50 miles east would make a big difference.  

Looks like the 925 falls just after 1am when precip actually rolls in. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

First map is now... then 1 a.m.  and then 10 a.m.    

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t925-9337600.png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t925-9370000.png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t925-9402400.png

Subzero 925's are gonna track almost directly with where it's precipitating, especially with all of the sinking/warming in the low levels over the Sound. A general precip map ought to be just as useful.

• Like 2

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021