December 2020 Weather Observations for the PNW

Omegaraptor

Just now, SouthHillFrosty said:

Do you act the same in person or is this just an internet personality? Jw cause some ppl act the same while some act different. 

I think most of the regulars have a pretty impressive alter-ego built up at this point.

That was meant to be a self depricating comment btw. I wasn't calling him that.

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Been a good while since I’ve received any ranty DMs, must be a sign that I’m at least considered tolerable around here 😅

What the hell? I've never received a ranty DM. I gotta up my game.

• Excited 1
  • Popcorn 1

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

20 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I don’t think people are freaking out at all, just discussing the models which show nothing of interest in the near term. 

A little freak out, and then of course Jesse freaking out because it doesn’t happen to be the point he decides to freak out.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • Confused 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Weenie 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

3 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

A little freak out, and then of course Jesse freaking out because it doesn’t happen to be the point he decides to freak out.

Yes, my yearly winter meltdowns are so epic. :rolleyes:

I'm a cheap date these days. As long as we are getting decent precip, snow in the mountains and modestly cool temps I am pretty happy. True cold and lowland snow is just a bonus if it happens.

• Popcorn 1
  • Sun 1
  • Downvote 1

Looking at CPC 6-10 day and 8-14 day analog composites, about half of the analogs have some arctic air reaching PDX within 2-5 weeks afterward and the other half no Arctic air for the remainder of winter, and none had Arctic air sooner than two weeks out from analog dates.

of course the assumption is made the analog composite pattern will pan out, which is not likely to happen precisely at all.

If I were a Las Vegas NWS forecaster taking over the job of PDX office, I would put my chips on second half of January for Arctic event , otherwise just enjoy the valley rain and Cascade snow until then

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

1 minute ago, paulb/eugene said:

Looking at CPC 6-10 day and 8-14 day analog composites, about half of the analogs have some arctic air reaching PDX within 2-5 weeks afterward and the other half no Arctic air for the remainder of winter, and none had Arctic air sooner than two weeks out from analog dates.

of course the assumption is made the analog composite pattern will pan out, which is not likely to happen precisely at all.

If I were a Las Vegas NWS forecaster taking over the job of PDX office, I would put my chips on second half of January for Arctic event , otherwise just enjoy the valley rain and Cascade snow until then

I didn't downvote this post!

• Popcorn 1

49 minutes ago, FroYoBro said:

Jesse is always really rude to you for no reason. You are a very nice kid and handle it well. 

42 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I like him just fine too. Smart and has a lot of knowledge/interest in climate for being so young. Seems like it’s rare to see him ever be happy about any weather event though. It’s a bad, weenie-esque mindset I know all too well, so I give him a hard time about it.

It’s often with a smile on my face, but I could tone it down if everyone finds it to be unbearably offensive.

I have no problem admitting that I am a weenie, one with salt left over from Feb 2019 and Jan 2020, so I often act as such. And admittedly, Jesse, just like Tim, is not exactly a difficult user to troll. Sometimes it’s just me trolling, but often Jesse does make a good point. Our weather preferences are different and that’s just the way it will be, we’re not going to change each other’s preferences.

I don’t dislike Jesse. We may have had some issues earlier this year but we smoothed them out. I’m sure if we met in person we would get along just fine.

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, DJ Droppin said:

The ensembles weren't terrible. I suppose. They all show a similar signal for heights to build quickly around ~160 W. The CMCE is the most bullish. It looks like the Pacific may shut down.

18z GFS in 21 minutes

6 minutes ago, DJ Droppin said:

The ensembles weren't terrible. I suppose. They all show a similar signal for heights to build quickly around ~160 W. The CMCE is the most bullish. It looks like the Pacific may shut down.

18z GFS in 21 minutes

Perhaps we should all pool some money together and purchase a large ice making machine.  Dump all of it into the Pacific and see if we could get it to drop about 20 degrees.  Would be very interesting to see how that would affect our climate.

• lol 3

Just now, TheNewCulverJosh said:

Perhaps we should all pool some money together and purchase a large ice making machine.  Dump all of it into the Pacific and see if we could get it to drop about 20 degrees.  Would be very interesting to see how that would affect our climate.

Yeah I wonder what role if any the blob is playing.

23 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I like a lot of posts. Just not the shitty ones 😘 

By the way my comment wasn’t an attempt to make today into “hate Jesse day”. It just seems like you are a little harsh with omega sometimes. It may just be your humor, but it’s hard to read online. 

• Like 2
  • Excited 1
  • Popcorn 1

8 minutes ago, FroYoBro said:

By the way my comment wasn’t an attempt to make today into “hate Jesse day”. It just seems like you are a little harsh with omega sometimes. It may just be your humor, but it’s hard to read online. 

It was hard for me to understand jesses humor when I started on here. Every now and then I’m still not sure if he’s joking. Majority of the time he’s just trying to be funny. 

• Like 3

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

18 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Today’s fun fact:

PDX bottomed out today on their average low at 35 degrees.

Very good possibility this may be their last run of 35 degree average lows during our lifetime.

Happy Thursday!!!

I’m gonna start calling you lil’ Greta. ;)

Honestly, things have been warming for so long I wouldn’t be terribly surprised to see some sort of modest dip or snapback in our lifetimes. Or not. The global climate is an immensely complex thing and to quote Chris, we just don’t know.

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1
  • Downvote 1

Looks like Mt. Scott is back. 

• Snow 1
  • scream 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

21 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

It was hard for me to understand jesses humor when I started on here. Every now and then I’m still not sure if he’s joking. Majority of the time he’s just trying to be funny. 

Definitely trying, not always succeeding.

Not to make excuses. There are also times I’m just being a straight up a**. And for those I apologize.

• Excited 1
  • Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, FroYoBro said:

By the way, I don’t hate Jesse; I was just having a little fun trolling him. Mostly, I find his antics here amusing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Excited 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

3 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

Could be some slushy windshield splats up this way.  Maybe a slushy skiff over on the mainland with a little elevation. Might only accumulate on the bark dust. 

All the while it’ll be in the mid 60’s at Tim’s house.🤔

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Sun 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

47 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Wonder if we will ever have a sub 40 high temp again either. 

It's only gotten up to 41 here today!

• Like 1

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

3 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

All the while it’ll be in the mid 60’s at Tim’s house.🤔

Don't know what to tell you... it still in the upper 40s out here.

temp 12-10.png

• Like 1
  • scream 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

9 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Looks like Vancouver could see some flakes fly, possibly some in the upper foothills in Washington also

cold rain.png

Looks like a few flakes in the Oklahoma panhandle region as well. 

• Like 2

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

7 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

If there is a continuing conversation that pops up revolving around how much each poster does/does not hate a certain other poster, I would say that the problem lies with the certain other poster. Maybe a quick self-reflection on why people feel the need to disclaim their love/hate for him and what could be the cause behind that.

Or not. He could also just continue on and wait until this conversation comes up again in a couple weeks at which point he'll play the "I'm only joking when I'm not joking" card again. That works too.

He’s the worst guy ever!

• Weenie 1
It's called clown range for a reason.