December 29th - 30th Snowstorm

bud2380

It's been awhile since I have looked at Cobb output on a storm.  Here is CID on the 00z GFS run.  It shows 1.14" of qpf falling entirely as snow, before a transition to some sleet then freezing rain, about .27" of a wintry mix, and then about .3" of plain old rain, yuck. So it's going to be interesting.  Better enjoy the snow while it's falling because it will turn very wet and slushy after. 

image.png.9ce25167a95759e1a45305f0377c077d.png

• Like 1

Cobb output also shows the 12.8" falling in about 6-7 hours.  So this would be extremely heavy rates for a sustained period of time.  That's why you gotta believe these totals are over done by 4-6".  That puts the range more 6-8" than 12"+.  Unless colder air wins out and it stays snow for longer. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hawkeye said:

Some models see a big surge of sleet into Iowa while others don't.

Yeah, that will be the key to snow totals.  Moisture is there for sure.  The depth of the cold air and it's ability to hold off the warm air for as long as possible will let us know.  Pretty impossible to forecast that exact transition, but at least it will start as snow and not have to wait and wait and wait for it to change over.  I'm hoping the UK and Canadian are handling the thermals better. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

Good ol' Jim Flowers mentioned the lightning showing up in the HRRR and the SREF higher numbers likely to verify if there was convection

Was wondering if he was going to post up his thoughts. I'll have to find it. He is old school on his forecast so a little more depth to his forecast.

33 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

My prediction here is 2.5”. I hope that I’m not overestimating. Though I’d love the Canadian and RGEM amounts, I just don’t see consensus for them. Gosh I’d love to be wrong. 

Same boat here. I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't even get 2 with how this Winter has gone here.

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Looks like I get a couple of inches of snow per Euro on this storm, b4 it switches over. Ugh...big ol' mess coming.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

The 12z EPS is inching closer and closer for a decent plowable event over here...3" mean for ORD (3-4" thump?) which I will gladly take (stat padder for the abysmal December)...of course, it'll all be gone by the New Year anyway from the RN that is coming.

1.png

2.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom said:

The 12z EPS is inching closer and closer for a decent plowable event over here...3" mean for ORD (3-4" thump?) which I will gladly take (stat padder for the abysmal December)...of course, it'll all be gone by the New Year anyway from the RN that is coming.

1.png

2.png

Sometimes in this situation, it can overachieve and get a lot more snow than expected. It has happened multiple times in the past b4 the swtich.

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

GFS and NAM really love lifting that sleet line. No other model does that and either remains primarily, or all, snow in Cedar Rapids. Due to the nature of overachieving WAA, I am gonna expect at least a period of sleet. First call for Cedar Rapids is 6". If we can avoid a changeover (or the event isn't over quicker than expected, which also seems to happen a lot in WAA event) then we could see those 9 or 10 inch outputs by some models, but for now, I'm gonna bet against those happening.

• Like 3

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

I’ve kind of lost interest but good luck everybody. I’m not coming back to town until 30th now anyways. I won’t complain if I return to a few inches on the ground though! 

• Like 3

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"