February 2021 PacNW Weather Discussion

BLI snowman

now its coming down at a pretty good clip, but the sun is also shining....in the south when it was sunny and raining the old saying was that the devil was beating his wife....I wonder what the saying is for snowing and sunny at the same time....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

It’s rather deceptive. It’s the old Highway 99, and when it was built it was a rural area, so it was designed for speed, with gradual curves and good sightlines, all of which of course encourages speed. I’ve caught myself driving way over 35 mph on that stretch myself.

Hopefully if you told the cop you were on team 50 degree rain he would let you off with a warning.

• Like 1

Just now, 12345WeatherNerd said:

ICON still good for western Washington!icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_25.png

Oh yes. I like that. 

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

Hmmmm.  Looks like the ICON pulled a Euro on us.  Three days out and models are still all over the place.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, 12345WeatherNerd said:

So now its GEM, ICON and EURO for Seattle snowstorm, and NAM AND gfs for Portland snowstorm. I like the odds for Seattle, maybe 18z gfs will fold. GEM gives it to both cities, which would be ideal.gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_16.png

The Euro and Icon give the Portland area snow too.

• Like 2

Just now, Andrew M said:

Regardless of where the low placements ultimately ends up i think its important to remember that in these setups the northern edge of the precip shield can often extend much further north than modeled too.

That's true, it often happens that way.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

It’s rather deceptive. It’s the old Highway 99, and when it was built it was a rural area, so it was designed for speed, with gradual curves and good sightlines, all of which of course encourages speed. I’ve caught myself driving way over 35 mph on that stretch myself.

For sure. The drivers at the shop I deliver pizza for treat it as a 50mph all the way to the light at Lincoln. I tend to take it easy, especially around Galbraith Ln, but my shitt attention span got the best of me this morning. 

The big question is how that PV lobe plays out.  The ICON shows it getting hung up and the NAM shows it rotating down.  Right now something like the Euro seems like a middle ground.

• Like 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

17 minutes ago, mtep said:

Yep! That's exactly where he got me. I was zoned out looking at the pretty flakes and didn't realize I was in the 35 until I saw him waiting. Oopsie. Should've stayed home we got a quick shower of small flakes right after I got back 😂 Luckily he wrote down 50 instead of the 54 he caught me doing. 

DOH!  Was it a motor cop?  Got a ticket from them several years ago and was impressed with the ruthless efficiency with which he gave me my ticket.  I'll bet the stop didn't last more than 3-4 minutes.  Its a lot quicker now with the bar codes on your license and the little handheld printers they have...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DJ Droppin said:

image.png

Doesn’t time move backwards wherever it hits -0 degrees? Or do the floors and ceilings invert? I always forget which. 

• Like 3

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

I’m not incredibly concerned about the notoriously crappy ICON’s actual details beyond this first storm— but it seems to have shifted south albeit with less precipitation.

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

6 minutes ago, Andrew M said:

Regardless of where the low placements ultimately ends up i think its important to remember that in these setups the northern edge of the precip shield can often extend much further north than modeled too.

Yes, I remember that happening in 2017 I believe. Seattle was forecast to get maybe a few flurries at best and ended up scoring a widespread 2–3". In fact, I believe today is the anniversary of that event.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

2 minutes ago, Fircrest said:

Does the CCP have a weather model? I never hear about the Chinese one for some reason, haha.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did but I couldn't find it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Meteorological_Administration

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

DOH!  Was it a motor cop?  Got a ticket from them several years ago and was impressed with the ruthless efficiency with which he gave me my ticket.  I'll bet the stop didn't last more than 3-4 minutes.  Its a lot quicker now with the bar codes on your license and the little handheld printers they have...

It was an unmarked car 😕 But he was definitely VERY quick with it. Didn't even have time to get mad at myself!

• Like 1

Lynden is at 33 currently.  Pretty legit cold for this time of day.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, DJ Droppin said:

Day 1

500h_anom.na.png

(Past 4 runs)

trend-gfs-2021020818-f024.500h_anom.na.gif

Deeper through over Hawaii.  Might be good.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9