February 4-5th Possible Major Winter Storm

Tom

I know Chicago's had a great winter so far. But if this 10 day pattern ends up producing 3 moderate/big storms and if the main action ends up just SE of here on all of them, that would feel like a little kick in the nuggets.

...The Artist Formerly Known as RJSnowLover...

12z Euro Snowfall...looks like it wants to fill in the "snow hole" with this storm.  I think tomorrow's 12z runs will have some changes as this system will be entering the west coast into California.  Better data will be sampled and as it comes onshore even into the 4 corners region we can have some shifts in the storm track and intensity.  The system definitely starts off very well, but then never manages to intensify even more as it ejects NE.

Latest trends are SE movements. Favors the east coast now.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

http://imageshack.com/a/img812/2176/w909.gif

Still snowing. This would basically make most of our posters here very happy. Of course it's the 84 hour NAM so it's too good to be true lol. But, you really still can't count out a further NW solution. The January 5th-6th storm looked pretty terrible overall up to a couple of days before the event. It also trended NW big time the day before. This may be similar. With all this moisture in the cold sector this still has a chance to be the biggest storm of the season so far for someone.

• Like 1

I have been saying a track through S IL seems reasonable and maybe the 18z NAM is onto something for future runs as models start digesting better data.  BTW, 18z NAM has temps in the 10's for this event!  Pretty darn cold with high snow ratios and a favorable set up for LehS.

Edit: Check that, temps are in low 20's, still pretty cold to generate fluffy snow.

GFS running. Let's see if there's some movement on this run. If the other models show even a hint of the NAM's solution, this may become another pull-your-hair-out model watching obsession nightmare lol.

...The Artist Formerly Known as RJSnowLover...

EURO is taking this east and south. I'm thinking this will be a 6" storm around here. 

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"