February Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Deweydog

I wish the correlation of our homes scoring at the same time worked out this winter lol. Had about 2" in total this whole winter. Been a rough one

Normally it works out pretty well, in the past it has; we haven't had much luck with the placement of the lows ahead of Arctic fronts. The models were initially advertising a scenario that would have been good for both sides of the Strait for Sunday but it all went north leaving us with almost nothing. This last system was a pretty lucky, unconventional snow maker here, but your area has the potential to do much better than this area when the flow turns onshore.

Down to 27. Colder than I thought we would get since the snow melted here quickly.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Nothing good in what the nws discussion tonight sounds like more rain

You seem like a nice guy, but not the "glass half full" sort.

It sounds like at least an inch or two for your area is very possible. And I'm not sure what you mean by "more rain." Hasn't rained in a while around here...

Normally it works out pretty well, in the past it has; we haven't had much luck with the placement of the lows ahead of Arctic fronts. The models were initially advertising a scenario that would have been good for both sides of the Strait for Sunday but it all went north leaving us with almost nothing. This last system was a pretty lucky, unconventional snow maker here, but your area has the potential to do much better than this area when the flow turns onshore.

Yeah that last system was definitely unexpected.  We just got a little lucky with band placement and all that, because traditionally we didn't do well in NW flow events.  

Tomorrow I see snow transitioning to rain late in the afternoon early in the evening for Victoria.  Any thoughts?  

The GFS operational and ensemble mean show 850s dropping to -8 around the 26 / 27 time frame now.  Sure snow territory if there is moisture around during that.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The GFS operational and ensemble mean show 850s dropping to -8 around the 26 / 27 time frame now.  Sure snow territory if there is moisture around during that.

How's it looking around the 1st/2nd?  The latest operational have shown potential lies there for moisture.  

Wow 21 at Olympia already.

This cold snap is kind of a beast for this late in the season.  Currently 26 here.  My coldest reading this early in the evening for the entire winter.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

How's it looking around the 1st/2nd?  The latest operational have shown potential lies there for moisture.  

I've been looking at that period for a couple of days now.  Some potential for an amplification of the 150 block for a time.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Sun and 70 all next week on the EURO.

• Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Per the 00Z GFS... virtually every single 6-hour period for 10 straight days after we return has precipitation.   That is 60 of those periods in a row.   Hope it works out!   

Sure will be different than the 6 weeks leading up to our trip.  <_>

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

00z Euro continuing to show a fairly quick transition to rain which keeps the snow amounts low for just about everyone outside the foothills and NW interior.

I have a feeling it's scouring the cold air out too quickly but who knows.

Could you post a map? Curious where the cut off is for the cold air

Per the 00Z GFS... virtually every single 6-hour period for 10 straight days after we return has precipitation. That is 60 of those periods in a row. Hope it works out!

Sure will be different than the 6 weeks leading up to our trip. <_>

Kind of funny honestly...

• Like 1

Yeah that last system was definitely unexpected.  We just got a little lucky with band placement and all that, because traditionally we didn't do well in NW flow events.  

Tomorrow I see snow transitioning to rain late in the afternoon early in the evening for Victoria.  Any thoughts?  

Normally these NW "warm" fronts are pretty poor snow producers around here. I think we'll pick up a few cm tomorrow morning into the early afternoon while the flow aloft is westerly. The dewpoint is still pretty low and there's a nice pocket of cold air through the entirety of the basin so it likely won't scour as fast as it typically does. Precipitation intensity will be a problem and it looks like light rain or mist later in the afternoon before drying up in the evening. Doesn't look like a big rain producer and this is an atypical way to end a cold snap because there will be a surge of cold offshore air coming in right behind the front. The Lower Mainland will be the real winners out of this pattern.

• Like 1