[Missing] March 2022 PNW Wx Discussion

1 minute ago, Chris said:

permabanned

I think we should give Jesse one more chance.  Being banned this long may have been enough.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • lol 2
  • Popcorn 1
  • Downvote 7

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 minutes ago, Chris said:

I open two tabs in the browser, both on the weather forums.

Great idea.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I was at Snoqualmie Pass a couple of weeks ago and there is a very heavy snowpack up there.  WA is in fine shape.  No doubt places south haven't been so lucky.

Oregon’s snowpack is pretty much the same as WA’s percent of average wise 

• Like 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

1 hour ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I would rather be on standard time year ’round.

Year ’round “daylight savings” time is doublespeak Orwell would be proud of. Let’s rob midwinter daylight from the morning, when it is most wanted! Let’s make it dark until nearly 10:00 AM in December! And we’ll call this robbery of morning daylight, “daylight savings!”

Looool. We should poll this one. I’m not a morning person, I don’t want/need sunlight when I’m trying to sleep.

42 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

No doubt this bodes well if you don't want an El Nino this year and another round of cold weather later in the month.

diagram_40days_forecast_GEFS_member.gif

Yeah, El Niño chances dropping like a rock.

• Like 4
  • Excited 2

3 hours ago, Deweydog said:

Well the chances of Jesse’s return just shot up, so stand by.

I just realized something.........is Jesse actually......iFred???

Which would mean.....iFred is actually Jesse......

• Like 1
  • lol 2
  • Snow 1
  • scream 1

1 hour ago, hawkstwelve said:

BTW - I updated the location setting to now have the correct ": " after Location. Something minor but my OCD was being extremely bothered by it. 😆

You need to change your name to Broncostwelve! 

• Popcorn 2
  • scream 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 hour ago, hawkstwelve said:

I'm starting to feel your pain on this. The first night we were here I logged on around 7:45PM expecting to see the GFS starting up. When I didn't see it updating, I thought there was something wrong with the GFS running. Then I remembered we are two hours ahead. -Facepalm-

So now I'm trying to train my brain to remember the 00z GFS starts at 9:30PM and the 00z ECMWF at 11:45. Kinda rough.

Only gonna get worse in 4 days...I'm an hour behind you now but even then I'm not normally up late enough to see the 00z GFS runs let alone the ECMWF come Daylight Saving Time.🙁

• scream 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

1 hour ago, Phil said:

This.

No. I couldn't handle sunrises after 9am during the winter if we stayed in Daylight Saving Time permanently here. People easily forget that the time change effects the morning sunrise times as well.

• Like 3
  • Popcorn 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

32 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I think we should give Jesse one more chance.  Being banned this long may have been enough.

I dunno......I have to admit I didn't fully appreciate his *contribution* to the forum until after he was gone.  Very stark difference.  Yeah things got a little (or maybe a LOT) heated on the other threads.  In some ways I will miss them, as much some people wound me up, I still managed to learn alot and read some very thoughtful posts that presented me with a very different position to consider.

That said, we didn't play nice there, and if its going to drive the Grand Poobah of the forums to drink, then it needs to go.

He has had several posts over the past 6 months to a year or so that seemed rather inflammatory, which is kind of the opposite of what one would expect from the "owner" of a forum such as this.  I hope it is a simple matter of him just being very burned out from the whole thing, and that he can fade into the background and keep the lights on, and let the newly designated admins smack our knuckles when we get out of line. 

On the weather front, beautiful crisp day, got up to 45 up here.  even though it's a bit chilly, I had to crack open the 'ole panoramic sunroof for the first time this year for my drive home.  Nice to get the fresh air!

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1

2 minutes ago, Kayla said:

No. I couldn't handle sunrises after 9am during the winter if we stayed in Daylight Saving Time permanently here. People easily forget that the time change effects the morning sunrise times as well.

While the 9am sunrise in December would suck, I would rather have that and have a fighting chance of enjoying even a sliver of daylight after work.  As it is I go to work and come home in the dark (or start work and finish work in the dark now that I am mostly working from home.)

What would be worse (IMHO) would be it starting to get light at 3am in  the summer, and getting dark an hour earlier.  I love how late it stays light in the summer.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

While the 9am sunrise in December would suck, I would rather have that and have a fighting chance of enjoying even a sliver of daylight after work.  As it is I go to work and come home in the dark (or start work and finish work in the dark now that I am mostly working from home.)

What would be worse (IMHO) would be it starting to get light at 3am in  the summer, and getting dark an hour earlier.  I love how late it stays light in the summer.

Totally agree... warm season daylight is perfect with DST.    Winter is pretty dark anyways so I don't really care if its a little darker in the morning or evening from Nov-Mar but would lean toward darker morning and little more daylight in the evening. 

As far as model timing is concerned... how about just increasing the computer processing speed so they all come out within an hour of the initial time! 

• Like 5
  • Popcorn 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Darkness doesn't really bother me nor stop me from doing things so I guess I'm bias haha!

I'm usually always in bed before 10pm so when it's light until 10:30pm in the summer it makes it difficult to get to sleep so I would be just fine with an earlier sunset during the summer!

• Like 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

21 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

3 pm temp of 11 degrees today at DEN. Not common for 3/9.

Russ is going to be a little chilly if he is already there looking for his new mansion! 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

29 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Nautical twilight becomes noticeable here by ~ 440AM in June. Pushing that 1hr earlier would be the height of insanity, IMO.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Russ is going to be a little chilly if he is already there looking for his new mansion! 

I think I would prefer his Bellevue mansion on Lake Washington.    Something special about being on the water.  

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 hours ago, Deweydog said:

So with all these new admin folks, how about we do something to put the kibosh on this whole spring forward thing.

Whoever holds the conch speaks I assume in the new order…..boy I missed out on something here.   Ugh!   Can’t loose this group…..you all help me get through life!!! 

98F1EF28-6736-4DE9-A8C2-46BC8CEC4BB2.webp

• Like 3
  • lol 1

13 minutes ago, Jginmartini said:

Whoever holds the conch speaks I assume in the new order…..boy I missed out on something here.   Ugh!   Can’t loose this group…..you all help me get through life!!! 

98F1EF28-6736-4DE9-A8C2-46BC8CEC4BB2.webp

Didn’t seem like much happened. Typical political blowhardiness prompted Fred to chime in Jesse-style. When he explained himself someone else went as far as to threaten to walk from the forum over it. Politics are not healthy. Neither are ensembles.

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

47/35 today. Down to 41 but still a bit of a breeze. Could potentially get down into the 20s in March for the first time since 3/10/19. 

• Like 2

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

2 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Holy sh*t I have admin powers. Been awhile.

Tim is on mod preview.

I also have admin powers so I think I could just approve my own posts.  😃

But you also can edit my posts! 😱

• Excited 2
  • lol 1
  • scream 1
  • Troll 1

15 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Didn’t seem like much happened. Typical political blowhardiness prompted Fred to chime in Jesse-style. When he explained himself someone else went as far as to threaten to walk from the forum over it. Politics are not healthy. Neither are ensembles.

Thanks for the update Deweydog :( 

49/33 and currently 40*

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

I also have admin powers so I think I could just approve my own posts.  😃

You should change Phil’s username color to pink since he’s a east coast noob. 

• Like 1
  • lol 2
  • Popcorn 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

44 minutes ago, Phil said:

Nautical twilight becomes noticeable here by ~ 440AM in June. Pushing that 1hr earlier would be the height of insanity, IMO.

I mean nautical twilight starts here in June at 3:20 a.m. (although it's probably not truly noticeable until a bit later). It would be wild to have that start just after 2 am. and sunrise at 4 a.m. I'm all for the permanent DST because it's amazing how much difference a 5:15 sunset in the winter feels than a 4:15 sunset.

• Like 3

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)