November 2022 PNW weather Discussion. #NoRidgeNovember

Iceresistance

5 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Only one GFS member not calling for snow at PDX.

gfs-ensemble-all-KPDX-indiv_snow-9248000.thumb.png.ced566a94f12e99cf1c5acef71d30c5f.pngecmwf-ensemble-KPDX-indiv_snow-9248000.thumb.png.a8d1c3a30945aaf9c81a884860bc873b.png

While keeping in mind the resolution on the ensembles is very low so terrain bled can and will be overdone. 

• Like 5

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

It actually managed to drop to 29 here this morning for the 16th freezing min of the season.

Meanwhile a wind gust to 66 in Corbett when PDX is having light NW wind.  I can't believe I've not noticed that place before when looking at the mesonet map.  It would be such a drag always having to make sure you don't leave stuff laying around that could blow away in that insane wind.  Not to mention having to bundle up when it's anything below 40 degrees outside.

• Shivering 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

We might go from wildfire smoke and relentless torching to an arctic blast in roughly 6 weeks time. This month wasn’t a slouch either with some lowland snow and a very cold average monthly mean. 

What sucks is all the brown grass. It lurched from too dry for grass to grow to too cold for grass to grow in under a fortnight.

• Like 4
It's called clown range for a reason.

55 minutes ago, Tyler Mode said:

A lovely deer friend stopped by.

11.24.22 Apgar Mountain Deer.jpg

OMG!  I love that pic!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

What sucks is all the brown grass. It lurched from too dry for grass to grow to too cold for grass to control in under a fortnight.

Yeah....a really strange year.  I'm working on a 15 day running temperature average graph to show just how amazing the crash was this year.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

10 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

It actually managed to drop to 29 here this morning for the 16th freezing min of the season.

Meanwhile a wind gust to 66 in Corbett when PDX is having light NW wind.  I can't believe I've not noticed that place before when looking at the mesonet map.  It would be such a drag always having to make sure you don't leave stuff laying around that could blow away in that insane wind.  Not to mention having to bundle up when it's anything below 40 degrees outside.

The western Columbia Gorge is really an incredible climate. I’m surprised it took you this long to realize just how windy it is there in the cold season.  The Vista House on Crown Point is even more extreme than Corbett.

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

1 minute ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

Here's the map in inches.  This is one of the situations where Randy and Western WA can get more snow than even I do.  Normally I get a lot more.  Hope everyone can score.

image.png

I think we all know the odds of that verifying don’t amount to much. Still fun to look at for amusement purposes.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

2 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

Here's the map in inches.  This is one of the situations where Randy and Western WA can get more snow than even I do.  Normally I get a lot more.  Hope everyone can score.

image.png

Only 22 inches in Bellingham,  wow what a bunch of dummies up there.

• Sun 1
  • scream 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

1 minute ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

image.png

Hopefully some surprises with the pattern (usually is).  Would love to see one of the lows slide down off the Oregon/California border.  Think N/NE winds!!!  We can do this!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

image.png

People in the Central Puget Sound need to keep in mind the models always screw us in these cases and it usually ends up fine.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, SnowWillarrive said:

Mossman will get 70 inches 

No.  He'll get good snow and be happy with it, but those higher totals are in the Mountains.  Terrain bleed on the maps make it look more than it would be.

We had about 40 inches in about 30 hours last year.  And even though we are way more prepared for snow than most places, it was a bit too much.  Driving was very difficult, let along getting out of the house. Glad I experienced it once, but once was enough.  8-12 inches of snow works fine for me.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1