PNW December 2022, winter might be coming; but mostly canceled.

The Blob

Earlier in the run it seemed like there could be some small positive changes that could make an impact further down the road... But maybe not. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

1 minute ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I'm going to wait a little bit longer to see where this goes, but at least we saw some improvement on the ICON.

For sure... it sort of looks like the ECMWF now for Monday.   Just a little further north.    But if its close to the ECMWF that day then maybe it will follow the ECMWF craziness afterwards.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

first big deal wx event I remember back east in SC was a huge ice storm in I think 80 when I was 5, power was out for a week, my dad was in Charleston SC on biz and trapped,  we slept in front a kerosene heater for warmth on the living room floor.

next was a huge arctic outbreak in January of '85, Columbia SC had its all time low of -2.  I remember the cove of the lake we lived on froze over, super rare.  I was going to my neighbors and we'd try to mimic playing hockey on their frozen solid Duck pond.  That's when at age 10 the wx obsession started.

After that was going thru Hurricane Hugo in September of 89.  that solidified my weeniness for a lifetime at age 14.

My grandpa and I, when I was 13 or 14 until I went to college (they lived next door) would pound shitty beer and sit in the carport in the summer and listen to the Wx radio and watch for Thunderstorms.  great bonding moment and my parents got so mad at him for giving me beer. lol

• Like 4

I got interested in the weather when only a few select coastal areas had NOAA Weather Radio (and I was a teen in rural New Mexico). Thankfully a radio station in nearby Santa Fe had an automated recording you could dial to get the current forecast. Dialed that number daily and I still remember it, even though the service has been defunct for many years.

Weather was heavily influenced by terrain and the local terrain where I lived would either significantly inhibit snowfall (normal case) or greatly enhance it (once or twice per season). Took me a few years to figure out when the latter would happen. Was always exciting when I could see that pattern coming.

Plus side was being able to score a big dump of snow at least once per season. Minus was that most of the winter involved bare ground and scoring no more than dustings while other mountain communities regularly got the goods.

• Like 6
It's called clown range for a reason.

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

For sure... it sort of looks like the ECMWF now for Monday.   Just a little further north.    But if its close to the ECMWF that day then maybe it will follow the ECMWF craziness afterwards.

I still can’t believe it’s the GFS that we need to get on board the Euro craziness and not the other way around.

• Like 3
  • lol 2

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

1 minute ago, Cold Snap said:

I still can’t believe it’s the GFS that we need to get on board the Euro craziness and not the other way around.

It's crazy.   I didn't even think this was possible.   And it's not just one run.   We are begging the GFS to join in on the ECMWF craziness and it keeps refusing!

• Like 1
  • lol 1
  • Angry 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

It's crazy.   I didn't even think this was possible.   And it's not just one run.   We are begging the GFS to join in on the ECMWF craziness and it keeps refusing!

It's going to be fine.  18z Goofus for crying out loud.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

My money is on the Euro being closer to the truth. Because it typically is.

• Like 1

It's interesting, you can clearly see what happens, to mess this whole pattern up...  It's basically the base of the block isn't strong enough and some random energy gets sucked into the base of the trough which forms a low that essentially cuts off the southern push of the arctic air. 

• Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

5 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I got interested in the weather when only a few select coastal areas had NOAA Weather Radio (and I was a teen in rural New Mexico). Thankfully a radio station in nearby Santa Fe had an automated recording you could dial to get the current forecast. Dialed that number daily and I still remember it, even though the service has been defunct for many years.

Weather was heavily influenced by terrain and the local terrain where I lived would either significantly inhibit snowfall (normal case) or greatly enhance it (once or twice per season). Took me a few years to figure out when the latter would happen. Was always exciting when I could see that pattern coming.

Plus side was being able to score a big dump of snow at least once per season. Minus was that most of the winter involved bare ground and scoring no more than dustings while other mountain communities regularly got the goods.

My weather interest/epiphany moment came from a Philippines vacation on our 2 week trip home and becoming fascinated with the typhoon that rolled in. But even before that I wanted to be a weatherman at age 7 and I was drawing weekly forecasts on a whiteboard. 

It feels weird being more comfortable with hurricanes and how these freaks of nature work cause I've followed cyclones longer than our own winter weather seasons, despite never getting hurricanes here lol. I'm still a complete weather amateur at the end of the day though, maybe something I can minor in. 

• Like 3

𝘐𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴,

𝘐 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘰𝘸𝘯.

𝘗𝘶𝘺𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘶𝘱.

Reddit: HotlineMaestro

3 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

It's interesting, you can clearly see what happens, to mess this whole pattern up...  It's basically the base of the block isn't strong enough and some random energy gets sucked into the base of the trough which forms a low that essentially cuts off the southern push of the arctic air. 

I give that a .0001% chance of verifying.

6 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

first big deal wx event I remember back east in SC was a huge ice storm in I think 80 when I was 5, power was out for a week, my dad was in Charleston SC on biz and trapped,  we slept in front a kerosene heater for warmth on the living room floor.

One that sticks big in my mind was when I was a sophomore in high school, when a long sad streak of below-normal snowfall winters finally snapped. Suddenly, there was the kind of snowstorm the other kids talked about happening before I moved to that town underway. It started like a garden-variety snowfall but then just kept snowing and snowing and snowing and piling up deeper and deeper.

4 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

The GFS handled the ridge merger that will happen tomorrow and Thursday poorly. It was playing catch up to the other models on its strength. Hopefully its mishandling this piece to the evolution as well.

• Like 1

18Z run is step backwards from the 12Z run for sure.    

But does it really matter with the ECMWF sticking to it guns?    Most likely not.

• Weenie 1

But does it really matter with the ECMWF sticking to it guns?    Most likely not.

Yes, it obviously matters. The Euro is kind of on its own right now. No way pdx sees an upper level blast like the 12z Euro showed. 

1 minute ago, Ice_is_Everywhere said:

The difference between the Euro and its ensembles is much more interesting to me.

And the fact that the 18Z GFS lines up with the EPS ensemble mean... but the ECMWF has been consistent.   

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Bigger than a step back, it's basically gone on this run. Most everything is shunted east.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.