PNW December 2022 - Part II

Guest hawkstwelve

Just now, dhoffine said:

I usually follow the model riding so well, but ya'll have me so confused now.  Will someone give me the dumb guy breakdown of this week for someone like me living in Enumclaw?  NWS says freezing rain/rain/snow tomorrow, nothing to write home about, and then maybe 1-3 inches Tuesday.  I thought we were getting more tomorrow, and even more Tuesday...  This guy, is confused.

Nobody knows yet.  Details are still being ironed out, stay tuned............

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Perturbed Member said:

What are your thoughts on Thursday?

Still have Jan 2004 vibes? The upper levels must have been colder going into that no? We had a good 6+ inches of snow before changing to sleet or ZR.

It could definitely end up somewhat comparable, but even a coldest scenario with this event probably won’t be as entrenched as that low level air mass. It was a total beast. As it was, 2004 was pretty borderline at precip onset with 850mb temps at -2c or so. They hung there thanks to hardcore mid level wetbulb magic despite hefty height rises. Heights were actually pushing 560dm when precip arrived.

Edited by Deweydog
  • Like 6

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Of course, none of these would've matter if we just have a full-on regional arctic blast. And because of the current nature of how things are appearing, we are left with fighting for scraps... and even minor wobble to the systems have huge implications between snow and rain. Not really a fan of situations like these. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

Of course, none of these would've matter if we just have a full-on regional arctic blast. And because of the current nature of how things are appearing, we are left with fighting for scraps... and even minor wobble to the systems have huge implications between snow and rain. Not really a fan of situations like these. 

That’s on you. You were in charge of ordering.

• Sad 1

Seahawks are going throwback next year, and bringing back their 1990's helmets and uniforms.. I'm thinking the forum members who have been around for 10+ years should be allowed to wear their throwback names for a period of time... As a forum member who has been on these things since Old Farmers Almanac forum, and having take a years long hiatus... There are a handful of members whom I recognize, and a bunch of others I do not.... as I've spent more time on here lately i've KIIIIIND of been able to piece together some of the members just by the nature of their posting... 

It'd be nice to know who everyone is!!!!! And who was that one craaaaazy member on the forums from years ago that kept getting banned and creepily coming back with a different alias..?? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brennan said:

Seahawks are going throwback next year, and bringing back their 1990's helmets and uniforms.. I'm thinking the forum members who have been around for 10+ years should be allowed to wear their throwback names for a period of time... As a forum member who has been on these things since Old Farmers Almanac forum, and having take a years long hiatus... There are a handful of members whom I recognize, and a bunch of others I do not.... as I've spent more time on here lately i've KIIIIIND of been able to piece together some of the members just by the nature of their posting... 

It'd be nice to know who everyone is!!!!! And who was that one craaaaazy member on the forums from years ago that kept getting banned and creepily coming back with a different alias..?? 

I used to be know as Deweydog back in the day if you couldn’t tell by the sarcasm.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dhoffine said:

Ah crap, they just changed it... LOL   

Sunday - 1 to 2 inches

Tuesday - 2 to 4 inches

I wouldn't surprised if you saw 8 inches on Tuesday, but it really depends on the track of the low. Probably won't know for sure until tomorrow or Monday. 

• Like 1

195572.png?1673757432

10 minutes ago, Brennan said:

One crazy member??? There are multiple.

18z yorrow running. Anyone got the goods?

• Like 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

5 minutes ago, Kolk1604 said:

You said the ICON right? ;) 

icon-all-or_wa-total_snow_10to1-1732000.png

And there would be more than that with the ratios!

• Like 1

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

32 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

It could definitely end up somewhat comparable, but even a coldest scenario with this event probably won’t be as entrenched as that low level air mass. It was a total beast. As it was, 2004 was pretty borderline at precip onset with 850mb temps at -2c or so. They hung there thanks to hardcore mid level wetbulb magic despite hefty height rises. Heights were actually pushing 560dm when precip arrived.

How cold do you think max temps could get for PDX? I'm hoping for a sub 30 high.

42 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

Papa and I are headed east to Coeur d'Alene this Friday. Could be in the middle of an ice storm with single digits east of the crest. Gon' be wild.

Would seek hard to imagine the atmospheric layer would be 30 degrees warmer than the surface.   Obviously a lot of uncertainty, NWS is really broad brushing now, but for now only mentioning snow for CDA, more likely Thursday night and highs Friday in the low 20s.