PNW December 2022 - Part II

Guest hawkstwelve

1 minute ago, TacomaWx said:

I’ve been watching the radar and it looks like those 2 bands are trying to merge into eachother. Not exactly sure if that will eventually swing through here or that winds down and something starts developing in the central sound. 

The green heavier precip areas have expanded quite a bit over the last hour. I think they will continue to do so as they pass the strait, then float on to the southeast. Your chances aren't over yet!

Just now, KingstonWX said:

The green heavier precip areas have expanded quite a bit over the last hour. I think they will continue to do so as they pass the strait, then float on to the southeast. Your chances aren't over yet!

I should also mention everyone is reporting heavier snowfall than what the radar echoes seem to indicate this evening. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Winter Warlock said:

Raspberry Pi Touchscreen: $60

Raspberry Pi: $10-$20

Build simple web app that displays user’s current location, use Leaflet API and overlay incoming precipitation and other free weather data (a few hours).

Set Pi to automatically load the web app in Chromium on startup in kiosk mode.

Would also work on phones and on TVs with web browsers.

Sent you a PM

3 minutes ago, Dave said:

I do see this as likely going to be one of the biggest travel fiascos in recent northern Oregon memory though. Airport probably shut down for long periods. Thousands of truckers stranded, etc. The local news must be salivating. When I lived in Portland, my friends always laughed at the poor local news reporter that got sent to interview the first snowflake to fall on the zoo overpass or up at Sylvan. Many times, there were no flakes that ever came. They looked like their dog just ran away.

We're they related to Jim "Stormin' Foreman (formerly of King5)?

• lol 1

3 minutes ago, JSnowlin said:

IIRC UW/Atmo-sci radar uses a full 1.0° tilt and is likely picking up mid levels.

0.5°/T shows very little, even up near the strait. 

The darker, more widespread pixels are more than likely clutter or surface based noise.

Screenshot_20221220_203453_RadarScope.jpg

I think the uw radar is kinda helpful in this situation since it’s picking up the very subtle precip here. The lower tilt doesn’t even pick up on the snow here at the moment. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I really like your property and neighborhood. I think that every time you post a pic. It is an older neighborhood and I like the mature landscaping, and the homes have character. It's not pretentious, it looks middle class. A neighborhood of regular folks. And it's charming to me as an American because it is in Canada, and on Vancouver Island at that. How whimsical. 

Thanks! This neighborhood was mostly built in the 1950s and hasn't changed substantially as far as I can tell. This place was built in 1949 so the owner would have experienced Jan 1950 in their first winter. Victoria is pretty stringent in their building standards, you can't cut down mature trees outside of exceptional circumstances and a lot of buildings are considered "heritage" and protected. From a standard of living perspective it's one of the better spots to live, everything is easy to walk to, yet it's large enough to have all the big box stores within a short drive, and there are tons of public parks.

• Like 4

My Dad was not happy to hear about another potential ice storm. This was on his property in 2021. 

No photo description available.

No photo description available.No photo description available.

You can see how thick the ice was and it had already melted off the ground. 

• Sad 6
  • Sick 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

1 minute ago, VancouverIslandSouth said:

Thanks! This neighborhood was mostly built in the 1950s and hasn't changed substantially as far as I can tell. This place was built in 1949 so the owner would have experienced Jan 1950 in their first winter. Victoria is pretty stringent in their building standards, you can't cut down mature trees outside of exceptional circumstances and a lot of buildings are considered "heritage" and protected. From a standard of living perspective it's one of the better spots to live, everything is easy to walk to, yet it's large enough to have all the big box stores within a short drive, and there are tons of public parks.

Sigh. Before I die, all I want is another Jan 1950. I wasn't around during the first one and I'm sick of being jealous of it.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, KingstonWX said:

Sigh. Before I die, all I want is another Jan 1950. 

January hasn’t happened yet! There is still time this season! 

• Like 2
  • Excited 1
  • lol 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

2 minutes ago, JSnowlin said:

We're they related to Jim "Stormin' Foreman (formerly of King5)?

Honestly, I can't remember. This was somewhere within the 95-2001 era. I was a weather geek even back then of course, so I'd make it a point to always watch the local news whenever a potential snowstorm was on the way. They almost always sent some (cute) lady up there to catch the first of the snow, but boom. Bustola. Hard not to feel for them but to also find some humor in the recurrent situations. It definitely happened a few times.

• Like 1

Don’t be these people this weekend! And for the love of all that his holy stay in your car if it does happen. I don’t get people sometimes. 

• Like 1
  • Sick 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

5 minutes ago, VancouverIslandSouth said:

Big government at it again. :)

3 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

My Dad was not happy to hear about another potential ice storm. This was on his property in 2021. 

No photo description available.No photo description available.

You can see how thick the ice was and it had already melted off the ground. 

Good news. Far less trees to deal with this time around. This does look severe. But in general a minor ice storm every few years isn't too bad. It takes out a lot of weaker trees and branches and reduces the chances for major damage down the road when a big one hits.

• Excited 1

2 minutes ago, Dave said:

Honestly, I can't remember. This was somewhere within the 95-2001 era. I was a weather geek even back then of course, so I'd make it a point to always watch the local news whenever a potential snowstorm was on the way. They almost always sent some (cute) lady up there to catch the first of the snow, but boom. Bustola. Hard not to feel for them but to also find some humor in the recurrent situations. It definitely happened a few times.

I developed my weather geekness growing up in south Seattle where snow was hard to come by. I expanded upon it after living in Mukilteo from 1991-1997. Then I lived in Woodinville in 1998 and 1999. It took me a while to realize that it's only a bust when it doesn't hit you personally, but nearly every time something good is predicted, there's somewhere in Western Washington that does truly get the goods. Even the news reporters can't always identify where that will be beforehand though... which is why I feel pretty lucky that for once North Kitsap, where I live now, finally seemed to get the big win on this latest event. Finally. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Perturbed Member said:

The GEM is almost certainly overdoing this but this looks ridiculous. 

It has 1.7 inches of frozen precip falling on PDX through Saturday afternoon of which about .80 in is freezing rain. 

qpf_048h.us_nw.png

zr_acc.us_nw.png

Known to overdo precip in almost all cases. But it does at least look a little more realistic when it comes to the pace of the warmup. Seems to be broad agreement on several different waves of precip Thursday-Saturday, so obviously going to be a more prolonged opportunity to add to the ZR totals near PDX even after the first push of moisture moves in and out.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Dave said:

Was it Keely Chalmers? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VancouverIslandSouth said:

Still getting some light snow showers here, I went out to measure tonight and it was pretty consistently 14~15" over the untreated pavement. Must have been in the 15~16" range accounting for a bit of compaction. Still getting a few light/moderate snow showers and back down to 25.5F. This has felt pretty top tier for here, not only is it one of our larger 24 hour snowfalls, but having it followed by a few days with Arctic air is incredibly rare here. Even in Feb 2019 we only got our big snow right at the end of it.

A few more shots from the walk today:

image.thumb.jpeg.2195f27773ef34c083d92d5ad066fc04.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fc7479913b155b9ab359bef06cf9bcf6.jpeg

PC200061.JPG

PC200067.JPG

PC200009.JPG

Man, I just missed it. We were vacationing in Victoria last weekend. Took the Clipper over from Seattle but had to leave Monday. At least Monday felt pretty arctic walking around downtown with flurries and wind chills in the teens Fahrenheit. And the Butchart Gardens light display was awesome.

• Like 3

We were pretty close here to something great today but missed out on the really good stuff. At least we’re going into two days of cold with white ground here. Would be nice to get more Thurs, but the ice makes me nervous enough I’d take just getting through Friday with power at this point…

17 minutes ago, Dave said:

Good news. Far less trees to deal with this time around. This does look severe. But in general a minor ice storm every few years isn't too bad. It takes out a lot of weaker trees and branches and reduces the chances for major damage down the road when a big one hits.

Between ice, drought and fire, it's the trees vs Darwin. 

A forum for the end of the world.

1 hour ago, MillCreekMike said:

Yep. Just got moved to this store a couple weeks ago! Was at the Silver Firs store near Mill Creek for the previous 7 years before that. See a lot of interesting people here since it’s a highway 99 store.

Oh yeah, shortly before I moved out of the area I saw a dude shoplifting. A couple of the gals there tried to stop him but he just brushed them off. 99 is quite the place.

• Like 1

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL