PNW December 2022 - Part II

Guest hawkstwelve

3 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I would choose Cle Elum because average max temps in the summer are nearly 10 degrees lower due to cool air flowing in through the passes.  Cle Elum is also a thousand feet higher so there is benefit from that in the winter.  Of course, Leavenworth is prettier.

I wouldn't mind summers 10 degrees cooler, I totally get that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

I had 3 trouble makers, and had the worst two taken out a couple of years ago.  The third is going next summer.

Yeah just told my wife I’m done with them. Couldn’t even let the dog out in the backyard today. Watched a branch come down vertically through the ice and stick into the ground 👀 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • scream 1

18 minutes ago, Hawksfan2008 said:

I can handle the power outages and the cold but the trees scare the sh** out of me.  

We had a big snowfall in Feb 2017, where the Cougar Mountain area got 12"+, depending on elevation. I hiked up to the Sky Country trailhead of the Cougar Mountain Regional Wildland Park (just a couple miles from my parents' place), where the snow depth was up to my knee, and stayed for about 10 minutes before I noped out. Just constant branches and trees coming down. Eventually I had to jump out of the way of a falling branch, and that was it for me.

• scream 1

The GFS tries to get somewhere interesting around day 10 or slightly thereafter.  A period to watch.   Also a couple of cool toughs before that.  A few more chilly days between Christmas and New Years will clinch a really chilly monthly average.

• Like 1
  • Shivering 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

9 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

This GFS run (and other model runs) torch the sheit out of the NE and tries to get a SE ridge going.  I'm betting the upstream stuff will start to fall into places on future runs.

What is your gut feelings on when we’ll see our next cold shot?

3 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

This one was special.  I'm thinking either Hunga Tonga or solar grand minimum.  The power of this cold wave is off the charts.  I guess you knew something was going to happen when every index was tanked at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Shivering 1
  • Facepalm 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, Cloud said:

What is your gut feelings on when we’ll see our next cold shot?

I think there is a possible window as early as Jan 5 or so, but more likely 15th to 20th.

• Like 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

A good clue as to the strength of the low level airmass-- Troutdale is gusting to 39 mph from the E once again, and is at 27.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

4 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I think there is a possible window as early as Jan 5 or so, but more likely 15th to 20th.

I agree with this. Was just looking at the GEFS and for several runs it shows a ridge re-establishing in the Yukon and NW Territories with retrogression signals. Mid-last week of Jan is a possibility. 

2 minutes ago, JW8 said:

Weird... I was at 40°, but have dropped back down to 34°. Didn't think that was supposed to happen tonight?

Yeah. Same here… temps have dropped back down to 35 after getting up to 37. BFI also is holding onto the cold very well. Been holding steady at 34. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I would choose Cle Elum because average max temps in the summer are nearly 10 degrees lower due to cool air flowing in through the passes.  Cle Elum is also a thousand feet higher so there is benefit from that in the winter.  Of course, Leavenworth is prettier.

Parkdale, OR at 1700 ft on the east side of Mt. Hood has a pretty great climate too. Nice views of Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams to the north. Short drive to Hood River and the Gorge too. Pretty lacking in infrastructure though. 

image.thumb.png.793a7a2183aa32b9f1187e05531a5814.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Perturbed Member said:

Parkdale, OR at 1700 ft on the east side of Mt. Hood has a pretty great climate too. Nice views of Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams to the north. Short drive to Hood River and the Gorge too. Pretty lacking in infrastructure though. 

image.thumb.png.793a7a2183aa32b9f1187e05531a5814.png

The Hood River Valley is one of my favorite spots in Oregon.

Too bad a tin roof shed there probably costs near a million.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, snow_wizard said:

Need to make a trip to Leavenworth then. I found Cle Elum beautiful when I drove through. The Wenatchee Mountains make for amazing scenery and they’re right in Cle Elum’s backyard. That area does have kind of a Hood River-like feel to it as well.

Cold air continues to hang on for dear life-- still 27 degrees.

• Like 3

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Snowing pretty hard right now but I gotta get to sleep. Will be curious to see what it looks like in the morning. 

• Like 2

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

Number one analog on the 6 to 10 outlook today was Jan 17, 1980.  There was a major cold wave after that, and that was also just after a cold wave.

• Like 6

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 minutes ago, Cold Snap said:

Windstorm next Tuesday on the 00z Euro.

AA2C961D-5F04-4B2E-8570-28912EBC89E0.png

1FB4C432-9449-473F-B964-C25F609FFEA0.png

I could live with that.  Nothing too crazy.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 hour ago, snow_wizard said:

The GFS tries to get somewhere interesting around day 10 or slightly thereafter.  A period to watch.   Also a couple of cool toughs before that.  A few more chilly days between Christmas and New Years will clinch a really chilly monthly average.

Big Scandinavian ridge and an Aleutian low.  The PV isn’t going to like that much. 

• Like 1

Such a crazy event. The odds of having so cold of surface temps and no snow to begin the transition were extremely low. It led to the most durable glare ice I’ve ever seen. My nephew and his little hockey buddy were power skating around the block this afternoon on suburban streets. Not sure if they realize this was a once in a lifetime event for them, especially considering ground temperatures are so warm.

Edited by Deweydog
  • Like 5
  • Shivering 1
  • Spam 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.