January Weather In the PNW

stuffradio

I have to wonder why some people follow the models here.

Good run = bitching cause it won’t happen

Mediocre run = bitching cause it’s only marginally good

Bad run = bitching cause it’s not cold.

Why do these people bother.

#BSF would say reverse psychology.

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

I have to wonder why some people follow the models here.

Good run = bitching cause it won’t happen

Mediocre run = bitching cause it’s only marginally good

Bad run = bitching cause it’s not cold.

Why do these people bother.

Because we enjoy bitching... duh!! ;)

This doesn’t look much like the EPS that you referred to a dozen times showing the ridge overhead and arctic air blasting into Ontario.

The EPS locked in on the extreme blocking last week.   It has been very consistent and now its being played out in the operational models.   I have been saying for 2 days that this smells like retrogression.   Devil is the details.   A very amplified pattern like this can quickly evolve into something really good.   I said that way back on Sunday or Monday of this week.    

I will continue to track the EPS like a hawk because it has been all over this very amplified situation since it came into its range.    More maps incoming!   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I just told my wife and son.

:lol:

I just ran into my kids' bedrooms screaming that an arctic blast is coming and we should expect 6-8 inches of snow and highs in the 20s.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

foto26446a4f1f801ef3b3d1564dea31df66.png
"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."

The EPS locked in on the extreme blocking last week. It has been very consistent and now its being played out in the operational models. I have been saying for 2 days that this smells like retrogression. Devil is the details. A very amplified pattern like this can quickly evolve into something really good. I said that way back on Sunday or Monday of this week.

I will continue to track the EPS like a hawk because it has been all over this very amplified situation since it came into its range. More maps incoming!

Big warm ridge.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Ideally though we're really going to need to see the PNA get up to +3 or +4 before we can start the full optimism wave.

That’s not nearly high enough, dude. Needs to be at least up around +6, ideally +7 to be on the safe side.

"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."

It interesting to note that the ECMWF control run has been showing something similar for a couple days... and now the GEM and ECMWF operational run went in that same direction.  

I'm going to tell my whole class first thing tomorrow.

It's like Christmas morning for them whenever I mention "Eurasian wavebreak" and "full latitude block."

You actually use that terminology?

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Big warm ridge.

That was another possibility.    Actually could switch back to that with no warning.    Relatively minor shifts in a very amplified pattern.   

A few thoughts if this does happen.

1. Another win for the sub 1000mb Darwin pressure theory.

2. The tropics said the models had to change.

3. My NPS index saying a major blast was highly likely this winter will be vindicated.

4. I'm thankful this is still early enough for a really meaningful event.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

That was another possibility. Actually could switch back to that with no warning. Relatively minor shifts in a very amplified pattern.

I’m probably gonna get trolled off this forum when it does switch back to ridging and people need a internet punching bag.

• Like 1

This level of gullibility explains to me why you are a Trump supporter.

That's why I asked.  I have learned to never assume one way or the other until you check it out.

Another thing to keep in mind is I basically never lie.  I often assume others are the same, but I'm probably wrong.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I’m probably gonna get trolled off this forum when it does switch back to ridging and people need a internet punching bag.

I will be my fault for tracking the EPS.    :lol:

I think the reason the models have changed is the amplitude of the MJO wave.  A few days ago the wave wasn't expected to be so strong.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

You actually use that terminology?

Haven't talked about that stuff, but I do show model runs out to 10+ days from time-to-time even though it has absolutely nothing to do with the course topic. 

It makes me seem like some sort of Nostradamus in there the times when it more or less verifies :)

Agreed! .... day 10 folks.. about a 10% chance of verifying

It's not like there hasn't been other support for this.  There have been a number of GFS ensemble members and many GEM ensemble members showing very cold weather.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

You predicted a three week mega blast, trumpeting it in every way possible for weeks. People actually handled that almost inevitable bust with surprising composure and perspective. Don't always assume the worst of us meteorological morons.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

#rootingforus

Yeah, that was a troll post. Mostly directed at you.