January Weather In the PNW

stuffradio

The WRF maps for Saturday and Sunday actually show the surface pattern in my snow melting nightmares.  :)  I have seen many situations like this destroy our snow cover with a roaring south wind for hours and sometimes days.  

slp.120.0000.gif

It may change.. for the worse and better.

It may change.. for the worse and better.

I am not actually worried about ruining a snow cover... it just reminds of a scenario that has done that many times here.    It looks like 3-4 days in a row of strong (but chilly) southerly winds.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Cooler 43F here.

Hopefully something good happens before early February. Snow in the first week of February doesn’t really work for my schedule.

Where are you going?

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I’m still happy about the same thing that was evident 5-7 days ago. We are finally transitioning into a Niña pattern and probably have a nice, generally cool and wet six months ahead of us.

Yep, and we just need that one undercutting low to make things really fun. That can't be ruled out in the Day 6-10 period.

--

6z GFS in 3 hours 34 minutes

You know Phil says some respectable things but if he doesn't get his temper in check he will be the Imus of the meteorological world.

What makes you think I have a short temper? Is it because I sometimes use mean words on a weather forum? That’s not much to go off.

Just don’t twist my words around or throw backhanded compliments my way, and you won’t have to worry about me being a d**k. :)

• Like 1

Interesting talk of the PV breaking down at the end of the month, and making things fun for everyone into Feb.

We’re overdue for one. It’s been 5 years now..second longest SSW drought on record.

Good night shift upcoming. My body is ready.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Cooler 43F here.

Hopefully something good happens before early February. Snow in the first week of February doesn’t really work for my schedule.

Up to 52F here now, seems to be warming up again. The last week of January / first week of February seem to be the time for things to come together if we're going to get a blast out of this pattern.

00z ECMWF Day 5 nice improvements

Placement of the low on Sunday is more favorable than the GFS/WRF as well.     There is some offshore flow ahead of the front late Saturday night and there is a little lowland snow up here on Sunday morning.    Offshore flow can do much more with marginal set ups.  :)

ecmwf_snow_6_washington_24.png

Although, we are considering going south for a week later in February/March. I’ve got a ton of points on my credit card that I could use up

How far south?

You must be talking about the US... you are about as far south as you can go in Canada.  :)

Placement of the low on Sunday is more favorable than the GFS/WRF as well. There is some offshore flow ahead of the front late Saturday night and there is a little lowland snow up here on Sunday morning. Offshore flow can do much more with marginal set ups. :)

ecmwf_snow_6_washington_24.png

Similar to the GFS for my area that time period. 1-2” would be fun to see given this winter. How does that total period look?

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

How far south?

You must be talking about the US... you are about as far south as you can go in Canada. :)

Like way south. California, Mexico or the Caribbean. We are going to have to look into the Zika virus though, travelling with our little one. I’m guessing it was being overblown by the media.

Like way south. California, Mexico or the Caribbean. We are going to have to look into the Zika virus though, travelling with our little one. I’m guessing it was being overblown by the media.

Zika is only a concern for pregnant women right?   

We avoid Mexico... too many safety concerns down there.    Hawaii has perfect weather all year around and is in the US... much easier.   Unless of course there are missile warnings.     :unsure:

Similar to the GFS for my area that time period. 1-2” would be fun to see given this winter. How does that total period look?

Total snow through day 8... in King County this all occurs early Sunday morning.

ecmwf_tsnow_washington_33.png

At least that is something. This is the third run now showing snow during that time period.

Nothing for Bryant though

Yeah... things are definitely looking a little better for the weekend system and I trust the detailed ECMWF maps by far over the WRF.   There might be some lowland snow as the flow goes offshore in between systems.   The WRF shows no break in the southerly flow.  

Zika is only a concern for pregnant women right?

We avoid Mexico... too many safety concerns down there. Hawaii has perfect weather all year around and is in the US... much easier. Unless of course there are missile warnings. :unsure:

I’m just not sure about Zika. Will have to get a doctors opinion.

We’d love to go back to Punta Cana or Cuba too. Cuba is a much shorter flight. Hawaii is an option but seems super expensive.

Yeah... things are definitely looking a little better for the weekend system and I trust the detailed ECMWF maps by far over the WRF. There might be some lowland snow as the flow goes offshore in between systems. The WRF shows no break in the southerly flow.

Hope the details improve in our favor over the next few runs.

I’m just not sure about Zika. Will have to get a doctors opinion.

We’d love to go back to Punta Cana or Cuba too. Cuba is a much shorter flight. Hawaii is an option but seems super expensive.

Both those places were grazed by Irma right?    

Wow Euro comes close but not quite. This location sucks.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Just let the dog out... some light rain has fallen and it feels more humid and the air has that distinct smell of rain in the warm season. Smells like fresh cut grass even though there is no fresh cut grass. Hard to describe... but everyone knows that smell and it does not happen too often here in the winter. It was immediately noticeable upon opening the door.

Just let the dog out... some light rain has fallen and it feels more humid and the air has that distinct smell of rain in the warm season. Smells like fresh cut grass even though there is no fresh cut grass. Hard to describe... but everyone knows that smell and it does not happen too often here in the winter. It was immediately noticeable upon opening the door.

I just inhaled some grass too

• Like 2

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Lol.. because climo wins 95% of the time. Kinda a safe bet. The pattern is pretty consistent with every year around here.

I’m well aware of the weather patterns here and climo. It’s called being near an ocean. Only place exempt from that rule is AK. Oceananic influences don’t always apply to weather there.