Jan. 22nd-23rd Winter Storm

Money

snowing lightly in Cedar Rapids.  Not sure when it started.  

When I woke up this morning there was a very light snow dust falling.  It then switched to freezing drizzle for a couple hours.  It is now back to light snow dust.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

This one might be the most painful result I have seen in a while. Started off looking like I would be missed to my north, now I’m gonna be missed way to the south east. We wasted a snow day today so I guess I’ll enjoy that. We do have two bands of snow that has developed, oh ya one stays west the other to my east!

• Like 1

This storm must have really slowed down. I thought the heaviest snow would be starting by now, but HRRR suggests heaviest snow looks to be right in the CR/IC area. Looks like snow will continue well into tomorrow morning.

Yup. Actually, I think some of the models last night were suggesting the heavier stuff holding off until later this evening.

Has anyone heard what ratios will be like?

This is what the DVN said:

“Most of the thermal profile below 600mb is warmer than the DGZ initially, so we`ll begin with a wet snow and low LSRs at or under 10:1. As the low tightens up and pulls in colder air aloft, SLRs will increase toward 15:1 in the west and north.”

This one might be the most painful result I have seen in a while. Started off looking like I would be missed to my north, now I’m gonna be missed way to the south east. We wasted a snow day today so I guess I’ll enjoy that. We do have two bands of snow that has developed, oh ya one stays west the other to my east!

We had no snow day Friday and a late start today.  Snowing pretty good here but really no accumulation.  We have had 2 late starts total this year, rest of the storms hit on a weekend or over Christmas break so we have plenty of days to use.  Hopefully some big dog storm will come before winter is over.

• Like 1

Measuring is going to be really hard with this. This snow is falling on an existing snowpack, and it's wind-driven. The existing snowpack is crust, so maybe that will aid a bit.

I use this. In the picture it is set up for rain obviously. I sure didn’t pay $60.00 for it either.

https://www.windandweather.com/p/RG6608?aff=6158&CAWELAID=530007800000010987&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=32872750045&CATCI=pla-299152938420&CATARGETID=530007800000015128&cadevice=t&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzNy4qYWC4AIVl7rACh2iDQdPEAQYASABEgIHQPD_BwE

• Like 1

Dubuque 2007-2008 Winter

78.1"  Total snowfall

February Snowfall 32.5"

City salt usage  : 12,211 tons

Days of measurable snow  : 40

Issue is I live in an apartment so my methods are kinda limited. Thanks for the suggestion though!

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

17z HRRR. Snow keeps falling at the end of the run.

CR/IC appear to be in the perfect spot for this. 

Bulls-eye #6 for south-central Iowa?

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

$60 for the Cocorahs gauge?  Rip-off city.  AmbientWeather has it for $34.  I think I paid about $25 twelve years ago.

• Like 1

That couldn't be any farther from what is happening here right now.

I have a feeling that the computer models have absolutely no idea what to do with this system and should be thrown out completely.

Watching the radar might be the only way to know what is coming, the band over Lincoln and Omaha appears to be expanding and intensifying... and it’s lining up to stay around for a few hours at least.

The NWS posted a picture from Crete and it looks like it is coming down pretty heavy out there. I am over in Council Bluffs, IA for work today and it just started snowing here.

• Like 1