May 2019 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Wow, I just read on Omaha.com that a woman was killed last night in Adair, Iowa (between Omaha and Des Moines) from an EF-2 tornado that hit her house at around 1:30am. Part of the same storm which caused tornadoes in Northeast Kansas and Southeast Nebraska earlier on Tuesday evening.

There was a Severe Thunderstorm Warning on that cell, however no Tornado Warning was issued at that time. The tornado had an 4.8 mile long path.

Wow, I just read on Omaha.com that a woman was killed last night in Adair, Iowa (between Omaha and Des Moines) from an EF-2 tornado that hit her house at around 1:30am. Part of the same storm which caused tornadoes in Northeast Kansas and Southeast Nebraska earlier on Tuesday evening.

There was a Severe Thunderstorm Warning on that cell, however no Tornado Warning was issued at that time. The tornado had an 4.8 mile long path.

Whoa yeah I watching last night and never saw a warning.

Despite getting a good amount of rain this past week, Cedar Rapids looks to once again miss out on severe storms tonight. Of course they all blow up to the east. Oh well.

I still have not had a severe thunderstorm warning here so far this year. The Friday threat now appears to be going away so we just can't get any good organized storms here. Who knows when we will get our first severe thunderstorm warning. 

Abundance of moisture in the region is causing havoc for some GL's, esp Ontario/Erie, but closer to home, Lake Michigan is now approaching record levels. During the very hot summer of 2012, I remember seeing the launch areas so high up above the water levels bc the lake level was so low.  Now, it's a completely different story.  Nature always seems to balance herself.

D7M8EImWwAE-ECF.jpg

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-environment-watch/michigan-environment-roundup-great-lakes-water-levels-could-break-records

• Like 3

The storms just keep firing and spinning. Goodness. Going to be a long night if it keeps it up.

Goes from "maybe nothing" to "severe and pds with first high risk day since 2012".... That escalated pretty quickly in weather terms, if you ask me.

Definitely agree. Those cells around and in Tulsa have my attention.

Brother lives in Owasso, OK just north of Tulsa. Just saw a huge funnel cloud when we FaceTimed that luckily went back up before it went over his house. Same funnel cloud that the NWS has confirmed as a large and extremely dangerous tornado on the ground as we speak. That was terrifying.

• Like 5

Brother lives in Owasso, OK just north of Tulsa. Just saw a huge funnel cloud when we FaceTimed that luckily went back up before it went over his house. Same funnel cloud that the NWS has confirmed as a large and extremely dangerous tornado on the ground as we speak. That was terrifying.

Yeah just saw the reports glad they are safe.
  • Like 3

Thank goodness it missed him and he avoided a devastating situation. These severe wx situations can be nerve wrecking for the entire family.

• Like 1

Abundance of moisture in the region is causing havoc for some GL's, esp Ontario/Erie, but closer to home, Lake Michigan is now approaching record levels. During the very hot summer of 2012, I remember seeing the launch areas so high up above the water levels bc the lake level was so low. Now, it's a completely different story. Nature always seems to balance herself.

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-environment-watch/michigan-environment-roundup-great-lakes-water-levels-could-break-records

We have the same problem here in North Texas. That's the entire span of Central US. Amazing.
  • Like 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Yes, that can be annoying. I know exactly what ya mean. I suggest you wait till the grass dries up a bit. Neva cut the grass when its damp. A wet grass usually tends to cut less, resulting in larger clippings.

I usually wait till it’s dry. What I meant by having a hard time getting lawns mowed is it’s raining so often that it’s often not dry enough to mow when I have time to mow! I mowed this afternoon finally and it was very shaggy! I don’t have a bagger or grass catcher and just spread the clippings over the yard since that’s good for it anyway. Free fertilizer but to much of a good thing right now.

Had some sprinkles at times earlier this evening. Also heard a few rumbles of very distant thunder from storms down south.

• Like 2

There are photos on twitter of lightning illuminating a large wedge tornado with a debris ball that looked absolutely terrifying.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Terrifying night photo.

We get night tornados here and for the life of me, I can't understand why we went from afternoon tornados to mostly night time tornados.

Anyone have an explaination ??

Glad no one hurt here but the images are dreadful. Another day - and night - ahead.

Stay safe.

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Terrifying night photo.

We get night tornados here and for the life of me, I can't understand why we went from afternoon tornados to mostly night time tornados.

Glad no one hurt here but the images are dreadful. Another day - and night - ahead.

Stay safe.

I think last night because the air was so unstable and the fact that storms really didn't kick off until 5-6. Plenty of fuel will keep the storms rolling all night. Should read about the night twisters in Minnesota and Wisconsin in the 70s-80s. Those were nuts.
  • Like 2

Currently at 63F w cloudy skies and rain has ended. Winds will pick up later this afternoon and turning much sunnier and warmer w temps well into the 70s, even perhaps cracking the 80 degree mark, or possibly even better than that.

More severe weather for the MDW, especially on Saturday.

• Like 2

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

This was a close encounter a storm chaser had with a tornado near Minneola, KS a couple nights ago:

https://twitter.com/KCCINews/status/1129817698265948160

Yeah that chaser was not handling that situation well. You never ever try to gun it to either beat the tornado or get closer. A slight turn and he would have been destroyed.
  • Like 3

Yeah that chaser was not handling that situation well. You never ever try to gun it to either beat the tornado or get closer. A slight turn and he would have been destroyed.

Did your family in Illinois miss the Severe stuff?

Terrifying night photo.

Stay safe.

Nocturnal tornadoes are 2x more likely to kill people than daytime tornadoes. That is why an "Weather Alert" radio is needed at all times, anywhere in the US. You don't know what is happening outside, weatherwise, when you are sleeping. My alert system is always on my nightstand. I bought it from Meijer when my local weatherman came and advertised it at that supermarket.

Not sure though why nighttime tornadoes occur.

• Like 3

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Did your family in Illinois miss the Severe stuff?

Yeah looks like it. The coupling signature was right over them. About a scary as what I was watching happen at my parents. Based on the hail that feel at my parents place they missed the tornado by about a mile. I'll post a pic but the Dad messaured 2.5 hail but from some of the picks looks like 3 inch also fell.
  • Like 2

Yeah looks like it. The coupling signature was right over them. About a scary as what I was watching happen at my parents. Based on the hail that feel at my parents place they missed the tornado by about a mile. I'll post a pic but the Dad messaured 2.5 hail but from some of the picks looks like 3 inch also fell.

Wow, those are impressive hail stones right there.  Glad to hear they avoided the twister.  I can't imagine what you felt like watching that event last night unfold.

• Like 2

Wow, those are impressive hail stones right there.  Glad to hear they avoided the twister.  I can't imagine what you felt like watching that event last night unfold.

Definitely hard to watch but only so much I can do. It has motivated my Dad to get a storm shelter finally. I told him when they first moved to get one because they don't have a basement. He resisted for a while because the climatology didn't support large tornadoes in their area.
  • Like 2

It was another 20F below normal day yesterday with a high of only 77F and today we'll likely match that but with sunnier skies.  Just a remarkable stretch of wx we are enjoying over here.  Yup, it's snowing again in the high country with 3-6" of snow expected though today.  It did rain in the valley here and we picked up only about .06" of rain.  The smell of the air after a desert rainfall is quite refreshing.

Once we get past MDW, the pattern around here is going to heat up and I'm already advising my fellow neighbors to enjoy this weather bc in June its likely to heat up!

Taking a look at the JMA weeklies this morning, it looks like we are heading towards another cooler month ahead.  Anomolous blocking and ridging across western North America will create a favorable pattern to dry things up across the northern half of our Sub.  Take notice at the PAC NW ridge for Week 2 and builds into SW Canada during Week 3-4 creating a NW Flow pattern and keep things wet across the S Plains/S MW.  I got this feeling that there will be plenty of cool, crisp mornings in June across the MW/GL's region next month which is fine by me.

Temps...a "pool of cool" looks to dominate the central CONUS

Week 2...

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/1mE/map1/img/R07_2/Y201905.D2212_gl2.png

Weeks 3-4...

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/1mE/map1/img/R14_3/Y201905.D2212_gl2.png

• Like 2

Oddly, the 12z 12k NAM has 2+ inches of rain through my area through Saturday while the 3k NAM has nothing, showing everything passing south.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"