June 2019 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Amazing, brilliant summer day. A bit windy - 15-25 mph.

Currently 92* headed for 95*.

Rain coming in tonight and tomorrow. 50% chance. Tomorrow will see a high of 89*.

Isolated storms till Wednesday, then on to 95* and sun.

So the rainy pattern is still there, just not as abundant.

We'll see what we get. June can be full of surprises in Texas.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Looks like we will be missed to the south and east in Omaha by all the storm action today, and I for one couldn’t be happier. Heading to the evening game at the College World Series and the weather looks phenomenal for first pitch.

This is the only time of the year when I love when rain and storms miss our area.

• Like 2

Looks like we will be missed to the south and east in Omaha by all the storm action today, and I for one couldn’t be happier. Heading to the evening game at the College World Series and the weather looks phenomenal for first pitch.

This is the only time of the year when I love when rain and storms miss our area.

The anvils from these storms are beautiful though. The one to the south is really impressive.
  • Like 1

There's a nice cluster of storms in central Iowa.  However, the HRRR has this cluster sinking southeast and not east toward CR.  This makes sense because all the instability is over southern Iowa.  Radar already shows some southeastward sag.  I hope the northern tip can get to CR.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Cloudy day today, but no rainfall thankfully. Temps have remained in the 60s.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

There's a nice cluster of storms in central Iowa. However, the HRRR has this cluster sinking southeast and not east toward CR. This makes sense because all the instability is over southern Iowa. Radar already shows some southeastward sag. I hope the northern tip can get to CR.

Yeah it seems to be organizing a bit and starting to move se. I thought it would happen sooner but the first storms fizzled out and are barely moving. Don’t really like real slow movers unless I get under one as they cover less area, but with copious rain amounts where they do occur.

Only 0.03” here so far today while around one half mile north got up to 0.30” and a few miles se. got up to around 0.40”. from different thunder showers this morning and afternoon.

The severe warning was not necessary.  This is a nice garden-variety storm.  The wind maxed at about 30 mph and we're getting pretty heavy rain.  Honestly, this is exactly what I wanted.

• Like 3

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

I have gotten 0.51" of rain in just about 20 minutes and it's still coming down. There is another cell forming near Shellsburg and moving towards the CR area and the rain looks to continue for awhile with a good size area of moderate rain off to the west. 

I think we should be able to get about an inch for a total here. 

Yeah this storm wasn’t as bad as the previous one here last week. That one more likely should have been warned. Got only around 0.60” from the main storm. Haven’t checked how much since then. Guessing three fourths of an inch is all. Washington got pounded with up to 2” per radar estimates.

Edit: NWS probably was smart with the severe warning after all, at least for my area as people a few miles southeast were talking about the strong winds, noise and heavy rain. My sister was at their neighbors when a big tree blew down & Iowa county also reported 60 mph winds which is in the severe category.

We've gotten crazy forecasts all day. No one will commit to much of anything except to say we may get severe thunderstorms, we may not. There may be hail, there may not be.

Some possible rain tonight, then possible severe storms tomorrow afternoon.

At this rate, even I could be a local met.

• Like 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

We've gotten crazy forecasts all day. No one will commit to much of anything except to say we may get severe thunderstorms, we may not. There may be hail, there may not be.

Some possible rain tonight, then possible severe storms tomorrow afternoon.

At this rate, even I could be a local met.

It has been the same here. I agree. I think with the rain coming back every day or every other day, for the both of us, thr idea is that the means should run below normal regardless of the forecast highs. I've missed most of my high temp forecasts since March and I bet you have also due to shower activity.

Cheap cooling bills and cool days are great though.

Happy Father's Day to all the wonderful dads out there!  It's a foggy, damp and cool morning (55F) as we flip the script back to our regularly scheduled Spring forecast.  Hopefully the sun will try to peak out today but I think we'll be stuck in low clouds and a wind off the lake today. Good day to just chill out and cook some good food at home.

The second half of the month is trending to be much wetter than the 1st half around here and places west/north.  IMO, the Euro has the best handle on the pattern for next weekend as we welcome the Summer Solstice on Friday with a well-timed push of warmth!  With blocking fading across Greenland and the cyclical and dominant SER flexing its muscle once again, the pattern is going to turn more "summery" around these parts.  Looks like a lot of us on here will be in the 80's and even some 90's out in the Plains on Friday and into the following weekend.  Could we finally have a stretch of 80's????

For the ag belt regions, this is a welcomed trend as a warmer pattern is going to settle in, esp overnight lows which I've learned help aid in crop growth.  On the other hand, to much rain may not be a good thing so hopefully there is some balance over the next couple weeks.

• Like 3

While not a signal for a "heat" wave and with norms now in the low 80's, I agree with the Week 2 forecast the 00z EPS is showing as I believe the nation will be divided, unlike the pattern we saw in May as blocking was stronger back then.

D9La8FRXsAELmN0.png

• Like 1

Yet another cloudy day here in our neck of the woods. So far here at my house no rain yet today but rain was reported at the airport. Also while we have seen a lot of rain this spring and early summer thunderstorms have been few and far between.  We are now at the half way mark for June and yes it is been wet 2.24” vs a normal average of 1.93 by this date. And it has been cooler then average with a mean of 63.8° and that is -2.5 below average. The warmest so far is just 82 and the low for the month is at 40° There have been 10 days below average and just 5 days warmer then average. I have yet had to run the AC not even had to have the windows open that much but did have the heat on a few mornings to take the chill off in the house. One thing it has been cloudy so much that it has held the overnight low up so it could have been colder this month if we had more clear calm nights.

Currently at 56F w rain. Radar looks very impressive.

The earlier DVN forecast had the sun popping out today, but now it appears the low cloud blanket will stick around all day.

So far, I have not turned on my "Sprinklers" and I cannot remember when the last time was when it was this late to date when they were not watering my lawn. Thank you Ma Nature for your free water. :D

• Like 2

It has been the same here. I agree. I think with the rain coming back every day or every other day, for the both of us, thr idea is that the means should run below normal regardless of the forecast highs. I've missed most of my high temp forecasts since March and I bet you have also due to shower activity.

Cheap cooling bills and cool days are great though.

We've been warmer than Oklahoma over the past two weeks generally. With the high humidity we have to have the air on so it's a wash as far as electricity bills.

We have a second wave of storms coming through from the Panhandle this afternoon after 2 pm that could get ugly. Dallas and Ft. Worth both in the cross hairs and I have to get my husband to DFW Airport by 3 and home before all hell breaks loose. This has been a challenging summer so far. Hope they can take off safely and get out of this turbulent air.

Currently 80*, heading for 84*. Windy 10-20 and mostly cloudy.

• Like 1

We've been warmer than Oklahoma over the past two weeks generally. With the high humidity we have to have the air on so it's a wash as far as electricity bills.

We have a second wave of storms coming through from the Panhandle this afternoon after 2 pm that could get ugly. Dallas and Ft. Worth both in the cross hairs and I have to get my husband to DFW Airport by 3 and home before all hell breaks loose. This has been a challenging summer so far. Hope they can take off safely and get out of this turbulent air.

Currently 80*, heading for 84*. Windy 10-20 and mostly cloudy.

I understand that. Humidity is brutal. There's been just enough suppression to keep me in the cool moreso than not.

If things go as planned, that tropical airmass should be on its way out west as summer progresses. As Tom pointed out in another post.

West coast, desert southwest and Alaska are going to get roasted from around month's end to fall.

I could mow my grass twice a week right now. I just refuse to. It loves this weather too, it seems.:lol:

I just pray I'm not mowing it until December 2 like 2015

• Like 1

Storms both moving out and moving in. A lot of instability here. DFW Airport is cancelling flights out till like 8-9 pm.

My husband is going out to NOLA for conference. He can't leave till 9 pm. Bit of a scramble for the guys.

Loads of dark clouds and hot sun so it could get weird and bumpy.

The heat out west is worrisome for the fire season. Not good.

Currently a chilly 61F w cloudy skies. The rain has ended, but its a chilly day for June standards.

The storm finally moved through.

It dropped .75' rain in under 3/4 hour. 

Still hearing thunder to the south.

Dallas reported circulation in NE Dallas.  Luckily it didn't drop to the ground.

Our temp. has dropped 20*  Now at 63*  Winds have eased to 5-10 mph 

What I find interesting this year is that these storms have tended to run in pairs.

A  double line has been more common than not. Possible, but not common for us.

The storm finally moved through.

It dropped .75' rain in under 3/4 hour.

Still hearing thunder to the south.

Dallas reported circulation in NE Dallas. Luckily it didn't drop to the ground.

Our temp. has dropped 20* Now at 63* Winds have eased to 5-10 mph

What I find interesting this year is that these storms have tended to run in pairs.

A double line has been more common than not. Possible, but not common for us.

My cousin is at the airport in Cedar Rapids, IA waiting to catch a flight into DFW. They have been delayed indefinitely. On the bright side, they had a great time exploring the city and learning about the Czech and Slovak culture. They also had a 100 person family reunion on his wife’s side of the family. I did not know there was a such a big Czech and Slovak history in CR.
  • Like 3

Today is the epitome of "June Gloom" around the MW/GL's region.  Reminds me of the mornings along the Pacific coast of SoCal before the fog and low clouds burn off.  

Abysmal weather by June standards!  The rain holding off Saturday did at least allow me to finally finish our flower garden out front (latest ever but not solely due to the wx, lol). Today was another midnight high with afternoon readings falling to 60-ish with rain and "wood rotting" conditions. October feel minus the changing trees. If this is what global cooling and/or an oncoming ice age is like, there's no surprise that population would/did shift south. As said by others here, the amount of gloomy days this spring has been horrid. I think clear and cold is much easier to deal with personally. Cheers to dads out there as well.. 

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

My cousin is at the airport in Cedar Rapids, IA waiting to catch a flight into DFW. They have been delayed indefinitely. On the bright side, they had a great time exploring the city and learning about the Czech and Slovak culture. They also had a 100 person family reunion on his wife’s side of the family. I did not know there was a such a big Czech and Slovak history in CR.

I feel for him.

I just returned from dropping my husband off. The airport is a chaotic mess.

His flight has been rescheduled 4 times and several gate changes. It's just horrid. All this and an 8 am conference.

No telling when your cousin will make it in. Lord knows how many gate changes he'll have and departure changes.

. Many tree limbs down at DFW Airport. Twister reported in the air just east of the airport earlier pm.

The sky just opened up -

Rain records fell like dominoes today.

DFW Airport. Old record 1.32 (1968) New 2.42"

Alliance Airport ( north) New record 4.60"

McKinney, Tx ( east) 2.89"

My .75" came down in a half hour.

Oh, Texas has a large Czech community too.

• Like 2

I don’t mind this “mild” weather at all, since I do a lot of physical work. But summer time is the only time I like below normal temps. though I really enjoy highs in the 80°s as well. Once October rolls around I want above normal temps, and I could survive with only 1 month of winter!

I ended up with 0.77” of rain yesterday which is less than many nearby areas. My brother who lives several miles southeast of me said he got at least 1” in 15 minutes or less and 1.60” total.

Right when I posted last evening I noticed a strong velocity signal and hook echo just south of Oakville, IA ( se. IA near the Mississippi River), but forgot to mention it. Sure enough there were two EF 2 tornadoes down there. NWS DVN has info on that which you IA guys probably saw already.

Looks like more active wx at times this wk and beyond.

• Like 2