July 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

How often do 597dm and 600dm show up on the 500mb heights in the United States? I looked at the 18z GFS and apparently hour 240 is showing 597dm in Nevada and Utah. Obviously considering how far out it is, it doesn't really mean anything, but just a curiosity.

How often do 597dm and 600dm show up on the 500mb heights in the United States? I looked at the 18z GFS and apparently hour 240 is showing 597dm in Nevada and Utah. Obviously considering how far out it is, it doesn't really mean anything, but just a curiosity.

600+ doesn’t verify often.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

It's 89 degrees in Anchorage. That beats their all-time record by four degrees.

Climate change isn't real though ;)

I have a couple friends that are up there right now. About to embark on a week long drive in a camper, with no service... I'm a little nervous for them, given the fire danger.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

It's 89 degrees in Anchorage. That beats their all-time record by four degrees.

Climate change isn't real though ;)

That’s called weather.

GEM, GEPS, and GEFS all disagree with the operational GFS. Let’s see what the Euro says.

The good ol’ late night waiting game. I’m almost never up for the EPS, but I do try to catch the ECMWF most nights.

They don’t disagree all that much. There are a decent number of ensemble members that look like the GFS operational, in fact. Be careful when comparing long range ensemble means to a single OP run.

• Like 1

I doubt a 1983 is coming, that's the absolute extreme example of a cool summer. 

Even if the June-July-August (90 day average) ends between 0 to -1 degree of normal that would still entail a handful of 90's and probably 1 moderate heatwave sometime this year. So let's not go crazy, there's a 1 in 100 chance 1983 is happening.

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 21
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

I doubt a 1983 is coming, that's the absolute extreme example of a cool summer. 

Even if the June-July-August (90 day average) ends between 0 to -1 degree of normal that would still entail a handful of 90's and probably 1 moderate heatwave sometime this year. So let's not go crazy, there's a 1 in 100 chance 1983 is happening.

I was just referencing how chilly the operational GFS looked relative to average. Several days under 70°F here.

This summer definitely won’t be 1983 or 1993 lol. Both of those years were contaminated by volcanoes, too.

• Like 1

I was just referencing how chilly the operational GFS looked relative to average. Several days under 70°F here.

This summer definitely won’t be 1983 or 1993 lol. Both of those years were contaminated by volcanoes, too.

Dominated by volcanoes....

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Got to enjoy the fireworks from home. Nice to see the display standing just outside. Made sure to binge Stranger Things since I will inevitably be spoiled as much as I use Twitter.

Looks like we are at 59F in downtown Springfield.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Smoke over the marine layer down south.  

COD-GOES-West-subregional-Pac-NW-02-2019

Probably going to be very little sun up here until Monday afternoon at the earliest.    Need to head east... that just sucks for July.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You had an unusually sunny spring. Can't win 'em all.

I would much rather have rain and sun breaks like last week over all day marine layer.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

In addition to the marine layer... there is a thick layer of haze and the smell of fireworks here probably due to very little mixing which is trapping it all in the valley.   Pretty gross morning out there.

Currently 59 after a low of 56. Was an amazing show here up the hill from Ruston as always last night. Was great weather too mostly sunny skies and 71 degrees in Tacoma for the high yesterday. Had a fighter jet air show right on the water yesterday as well had a Harrier fighter jet hovering right over the freedom fair was pretty cool. They were flying a few different planes right over my house for several hours yesterday.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0