July 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

AC season is short here compared to other parts of the US.

We are not allowed to have a/c per Jesse. Please turn it off immediately and put a lock out/tag on device until you can rip it out of your house...you sissy.
  • Like 4

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

We are not allowed to have a/c per Jesse. Please turn it off immediately and put a lock out/tag our device on it until you can rip it out of your house...you sissy.

Chip meet shoulder. :lol:

Just said it was ironic, that’s all.

Chip meet shoulder. :lol:

Just said it was ironic, that’s all.

I sense a Jesse heat meltdown in the works...

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I see a moss man melt down already in progress. Not even any drizzle to trigger it this time! ;)

No meltdown here! It has been a great summer...wish it had been a few degrees warmer at times but otherwise perfect!

We are not allowed to have a/c per Jesse. Please turn it off immediately and put a lock out/tag on device until you can rip it out of your house...you sissy.

I do have a potable AC unit that helped just a bit last year. Only controls the living room while the rest of the house cooks.

This year has been perfect and portable AC is out of a job.

• Like 1

Our kitchen is the only room that is always an inferno because the sun blasts right into it in the evening after the hottest part of the day.  The house actually heats up a bit after sunset before cooling off quickly. Our only AC unit is in the bedroom window but it gets the job done on our hottest days like last summer.

• Like 2

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

That was a special day! I forgot that Vancouver got to 107.

"But Sea-Tac wasn't even the king of the heat in Seattle. Boeing Field also reached 103, while it hit an amazing 105 degrees at the NOAA building along Lake Washington in Seattle's Sand Point Neighborhood.

Farther south, some spots were even hotter. Portland and Kelso hit 106 while Vancouver, Washington was the hot spot at 107."

Any update on how the nino is doing?

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

I took my in-laws to SEA yesterday evening between 9:10 - 9:40.    The temp reading on our Expedition showed 70 or 71 down I-90 from North Bend until we got to Issaquah and then it read 72 from there right to the departure lane at SEA.   It did not change at all.    

Regardless of whether its accurate or not... it can still be used to detect temperature changes.   It also happens to be accurate.   The official temperature at SEA and RNT was exactly 72 at that time.

I am sure that UHI is very real... but anyone who thinks its limited to just the runway at SEA is probably mistaken.   I think it effects a much larger area.   SEA was not any warmer than Issaquah or Bellevue or Renton.   But those areas were all warmer than the wooded and undeveloped areas east of Issaquah.

This is not the first time I have noticed this... but I took note of it last night since it was a clear evening with no front or other weather happening.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I took my in-laws to SEA yesterday evening between 9:10 - 9:40.    The temp reading on our Expedition showed 70 or 71 down I-90 from North Bend until we got to Issaquah and then it read 72 from there right to the departure lane at SEA.   It did not change at all.    

Regardless of whether its accurate or not... it can still be used to detect temperature changes.   It also happens to be accurate.   The official temperature at SEA and RNT was exactly 72 at that time.

I am sure that UHI is very real... but anyone who thinks its limited to just the runway at SEA is probably mistaken.   I think it effects a much larger area.   SEA was not any warmer than Issaquah or Bellevue or Renton.   But those areas were all warmer than the wooded and undeveloped areas east of Issaquah.

This is not the first time I have noticed this... but I took note of it last night since it was a clear evening with no front or other weather happening.  

I doubt anyone thinks that. It's just that the SEA sensor used to not be so affected by UHI, for reasons we've talked about thoroughly before.

Also, keep in mind that the sensor is on the other side of the airport closer to the runways.

A forum for the end of the world.

That was a special day! I forgot that Vancouver got to 107.

"But Sea-Tac wasn't even the king of the heat in Seattle. Boeing Field also reached 103, while it hit an amazing 105 degrees at the NOAA building along Lake Washington in Seattle's Sand Point Neighborhood.

Farther south, some spots were even hotter. Portland and Kelso hit 106 while Vancouver, Washington was the hot spot at 107."

Hopefully this upcoming ridge morphs into a August 1981 style monster so I can sit inside with my AC blasting all day!

• Like 1

Hopefully this upcoming ridge morphs into a August 1981 style monster so I can sit inside with my AC blasting all day!

Red Bluff, CA hit 121°F during that heat wave. Absolutely incredible event for the West Coast.

If anywhere in the US outside of the Desert Southwest could hit 50°C, Red Bluff is probably the place. To think that it’s north of 40°N...

• Like 1

Red Bluff, CA hit 121°F during that heat wave. Absolutely incredible event for the West Coast.

If anywhere in the US outside of the Desert Southwest could hit 50°C, Red Bluff is probably the place. To think that it’s north of 40°N...

Hit 102 at my old place west of Smokey Point. I was still a full time landscaper at a Senior Community at that time, my boss let us outside workers leave at 11am so I spent my time at our lake house sitting in the water. It was amazing to experience on this side of the cascades!
  • Like 1

What Nino?

cdas-sflux_ssta_global_1.png

Warm WPAC, cool EPAC will be the theme through the winter and that is more important than the niño 3.4 number. It may trend more +ENSO overall as the cold season progresses.

Another beautiful day today. Not a cloud in the sky except distant ones visible over the cascades due to terrain circulations. Temps in the 70s.

Visibility is great too vs last year. Much better than back east this time.

• Like 1

Another beautiful day today. Not a cloud in the sky except distant ones visible over the cascades due to terrain circulations. Temps in the 70s.

Visibility is great too vs last year. Much better than back east this time.

80 and sunny here.

81 at SEA.

And 82 in Issaquah where my kids are boating on Lake Sammamish.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

80 and sunny here.

81 at SEA.

And 82 in Issaquah where my kids are boating on Lake Sammamish.

Why is it so much warmer down there?

Phone app says it’s 74*F in Edmonds/Everett, which feels pretty accurate to me. But I don’t have a known station to reference.

Why is it so much warmer down there?

Phone app says it’s 74*F in Edmonds/Everett, which feels pretty accurate to me. But I don’t have a known station to reference.

Very typical.

Its usually 4-8 degrees cooler in the Everett area compared to Seattle and out here on sunny summer days. I assume its due to westerly flow through the Strait. Its usually cooler from Everett all the way to Bellingham.

Very typical.

Its usually 4-8 degrees cooler in the Everett area compared to Seattle and out here on sunny summer days. I assume its due to westerly flow through the Strait. Its usually cooler from Everett all the way to Bellingham.

Interesting. Good to know.

I’m heading to downtown Seattle now so I should be into the hot pocket shortly. Traffic a little slow on I-5 attm, but the Uber driver says it can get much worse (and that Thursdays are the worst).

Interesting. Good to know.

I’m heading to downtown Seattle now so I should be into the hot pocket shortly. Traffic a little slow on I-5 attm.

You can remove the "attm".   

I-5 is almost always a parking lot between Seattle and Everett.    Its a joke.