September 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Requiem

I think I've got it.  It was southbound on I-5 at Diamond Hill Rd. (Exit 209) near Harrisburg, taken with a zoom lens that brought in the distant hills.

Sorry, but it was bugging me :)

That zone of extreme north Lane County up to about Albany is one of the prime spots for Willamette Valley tornadoes. I believe quite a few have been seen around Brownsville in the past.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Not quite. If anything you’d have the opposite effect on daytime highs with more water vapor in the atmosphere. Keep in mind the work that goes into latent heating and the specific heat capacity of H2O, which is dipolar.

Sure, I understand that you are going to have a limit on the heat capacity of H2O affecting the highs but as we head into Autumn, solar power is a losing its battle and having higher moisture content might be enough to slightly offset the decaying solar energy. Wouldn't this possibly raise low and high surface temps above historical average during the Fall and Winter months? 

Again, I'm referencing specifically to the effects in the PNW. 

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Probably overdone... but still looks wet. And really wet up there as expected. Yet somehow there is not a single rainy day for the Seattle area on this run. Most of the precip in this area comes on Thursday night and Saturday night.

ecmwf-washington-total-precip-inch-88080

Hmm, not bad. Enough to green up the lawns before autumn weather really arrives.

Not to be persnickety, but I believe this is incorrect as well. Not even the foreshortening effect of the telephoto lens would put the funnel anywhere near Creswell. More like a few miles northeast of Coburg.

I meant coburg. Maybe too much internet for me today. Btw, one of the local tv mets was storm chasing and the pic was taken from his passenger.

Sure, I understand that you are going to have a limit on the heat capacity of H2O affecting the highs but as we head into Autumn, solar power is a losing its battle and having higher moisture content might be enough to slightly offset the decaying solar energy. Wouldn't this possibly raise low and high surface temps above historical average during the Fall and Winter months?

Again, I'm referencing specifically to the effects in the PNW.

The laws of thermodynamics/heat transfer don’t change from season to season or region to region. :)

To oversimplify it a bit, increasing the relative moisture content within the lower boundary layer will increase the thermal capacity of the airmass, such that it’s heats/cools more slowly given the same amount of work done on it via solar radiation. You don’t just “start out from a warmer benchmark” the next day after a warm/humid night and just warm from there at the same rate as if the air mass were unchanged. The more humid airmass will warm more slowly. Apart from the individual molecular dynamics there will (possibly) be more clouds, and more rainfall to evaporate, etc, all of which involves latent heat absorption or the reflection of solar radiation which reduces the specific heating of the surface/near surface layer.

• Like 2

Take it!

Perfect! Now I just need to find a spare hour or two to get back to the lake and get it on the trailer...Not an easy thing finding time these days!

Currently cloudy and 66 degrees.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Except that’s not actually what the article says. This should all make for great pointless debate material, though:)

. It was a poorly written article but it indicated the cooler wetter weather caused fungal problems. They then said there were also benefits though to that weather but gave no examples.

. It was a poorly written article but it indicated the cooler wetter weather caused fungal problems. They then said there were also benefits though to that weather but gave no examples.

It also said that it was only for cider apples specifically. Not the regular apples you find in the produce section, which did well with the more average weather this summer. Then they mentioned that the changes to the cider apples wasn’t going to decrease cider production, there might just be different varieties this year. They also said the fungal issues were preferable to the problems caused by heat and drought.

Kind of seemed like a pointless article overall.

It also said that it was only for cider apples specifically. Not the regular apples you find in the produce section, which did well with the more average weather this summer. Then they mentioned that the changes to the cider apples wasn’t going to decrease cider production, there might just be different varieties this year. They also said the fungal issues were preferable to the problems caused by heat and drought.

Take the word apples out and you could be talking about busters girlfriend or wife, whatever he has.

I see they updated the article with the rest of the info you read. Originally they only had the first paragraph when I read and I was thinking this is a terrible article but with all the info it makes it a little better.

Gfs overall just looks cool and wet at times Friday through Tuesday. Shows some warmer nice weather after a pretty solid soaking for the region if it verifies.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Sad, still looks like a pretty storm though. Looks like the precipitation for us starts late Thursday or overnight into Friday

Who knows, maybe it will overperform with the warmer coastal waters. It's been happening a lot to the south of here, you'd think northern areas would get in on it at some point.

• Like 1

Beautiful sunrise this morning out ahead of the frontal system. 54 degrees this morning. Good for the coolest morning this month, and the coolest morning since 8/26.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Moisture from the remnants of two typhoons could make things interesting this weekend for the PNW.

Maybe up in SW BC.

Just looks like a pretty standard early fall front coming through here on Saturday night.   Saturday looks dry and the main rain band moves out on Sunday morning.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**