December 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Timmy Supercell

Oh Christ, I guess this was a bit dry.

Being serious here for a moment. Im friends with someone that works at NOAA and is close to the mets there. They’re aware of the forum and the opinions are not great. I was made aware how “not great” they were last year when I received DMs on Twitter and here after that Stranger article came out about the lead up to the February snow storm. I was accused of peddling fear, giving a platform to spread lies, and giving local mets a bad name because someone should take a map shared from here and post it on Facebook, where the masses would pester their local NWS pages with “WHY DOES YOUR PIN POINT FORECAST NOT SHOW 8FT OF SNOW WHEN THIS TIDBITS MAP IS DRENCHED IN PURPLE”. I took a lot of heat from a few people attending UW or planning to and thought sharing maps like the ones we love were irresponsible.

Add those complaints to a Rich Marriott type who found my email and gave me a wordy lecture about how the low solar posts made light of the seriousness of climate change.

So what do my dry and dense sarcastic posts mean?

They mean that I want people to share everything, I don’t care if it’s a hand drawn CFS map. I want snow maps, wind maps, and maps with beautiful looking pools of low pressure. If you want to pop on here and feel the same kind of obligation that someone has when they they they’re keeping everyone safe by doing 59mph in the left lane, by tempering everyone’s expectations, then expect people to pop right back at you.

I want enthusiasts, professional or not.

Black Guy Falling.gif

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Looks like PDX and parts of W. Oregon and Washington may be in for some of my favorite kind of weather later this week. Some high winds, gusty inland, and heavy rain. Probably heavier than our last AR (December 2018) down here.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Guest CulverJosh

I’m assuming your friend has only been sharing things with a localized context to central Oregon? Those of us in Seattle or Portland should expect cold rain, right?

Nope. Region-wide. The ball is about to drop.

We will all be in on it by Thursday.

Nope. Region-wide. The ball is about to drop.

We will all be in on it by Thursday.

Nodding Smiling Guy.gif

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

CFS looks great for New Year's!

500h_anom.na.png

• Like 4

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Being serious here for a moment. Im friends with someone that works at NOAA and is close to the mets there. They’re aware of the forum and the opinions are not great. I was made aware how “not great” they were last year when I received DMs on Twitter and here after that Stranger article came out about the lead up to the February snow storm. I was accused of peddling fear, giving a platform to spread lies, and giving local mets a bad name because someone should take a map shared from here and post it on Facebook, where the masses would pester their local NWS pages with “WHY DOES YOUR PIN POINT FORECAST NOT SHOW 8FT OF SNOW WHEN THIS TIDBITS MAP IS DRENCHED IN PURPLE”. I took a lot of heat from a few people attending UW or planning to and thought sharing maps like the ones we love were irresponsible.

Add those complaints to a Rich Marriott type who found my email and gave me a wordy lecture about how the low solar posts made light of the seriousness of climate change.

They mean that I want people to share everything, I don’t care if it’s a hand drawn CFS map. I want snow maps, wind maps, and maps with beautiful looking pools of low pressure. If you want to pop on here and feel the same kind of obligation that someone has when they they they’re keeping everyone safe by doing 59mph in the left lane, by tempering everyone’s expectations, then expect people to pop right back at you.

Here is my map!

DC06E51F-76D7-4DEF-A318-D43B15C7D9FF.png

• Like 8

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

? So what the **** does this have to do with me, or why mention my ******* name at all? I've had way too many people **** me around messing with me to where I have zero tolerance if you're doing so and when I can't tell no way conceivable chance I could tell you were being "sarcastic" or anything else. It sounds like the people who messaged you are a dumb as a ******* brick if they think you or anyone peddled any fear from this forum. How dumb. -- Climate change is a hoax, rather the "serious" alarmist bullshit. The 'Pigtailed Climate Savior' just stated recently all of this bullshit has nothing to do with the environment and rather patriarchy, colonialism, and other retarded horseshit. It's funny how many people have been dumb downed showing no intelligence who believe this .

:) Merry ******* Christmas!!!!

• Like 3

? So what the **** does this have to do with me, or why mention my f***** name at all? I've had way too many people **** me around messing with me to where I have zero tolerance if you're doing so and when I can't tell no way conceivable chance I could tell you were being "sarcastic" or anything else. It sounds like the people who messaged you are a dumb as a f***** brick if they think you or anyone peddled any fear from this forum. How dumb. -- Climate change is a hoax, rather the "serious" alarmist bullshit. The 'Pigtailed Climate Savior' just stated recently all of this bullshit has nothing to do with the environment and rather patriarchy, colonialism, and other retarded horseshit. It's funny how many people have been dumb downed showing no intelligence who believe this s**t.

:) Merry f***** Christmas!!!!

Your name is Rich Marriott?

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

This took a turn.....

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Your name is Rich Marriott?

What? Where did I say that? I don't have time for this s**t. If you people wanna talk about banning me I don't take kindly to f***** bullshit whether you think you were joking or not. **** that. I am not the f***** person to be 33 with. Too many times. Too many people. NOPE!

• Like 2

What? Where did I say that? I don't have time for this s**t. If you people wanna talk about banning me I don't take kindly to f***** bullshit whether you think you were joking or not. **** that. I am not the f***** person to be 33 with. Too many times. Too many people. NOPE!

Fred was joking Rob. You haven’t done anything wrong.

If you don't have time, then ignore it.

Look DJ I think like most people here believe that this place would be nowhere near the same without you. I don’t know what’s happening in this conversation but it’s ridiculous and we’re here to talk about the weather and maybe have good times, not push each other away.

• Like 1

Wowzers!

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

If this place was nothing but unbridled enthusiasm and fantasy then it would not be good either. Nobody would believe anything. You have to have realism... to balance the enthusiasm. There is a scientific element to weather and climate. It's a team effort!

Just like the political landscape... it takes both sides to keep us in balance. South Park did episode about it... good perspective.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Talking to some NWS folks out of Sand Point. There was a serious suggestion that the forum get locked down to educated mets and people who are a bit more tame in what they share. I hope some of you realize that sharing these cold maps are not only misinterpreted, dangerous to the public, and annoying for most of us who want to have a serious discussion about realistic and not cold solutions.

To the the mets, retired or not, let us know which maps we should remove. DM me if you don’t want it public.

yeah, that's what you need to do, start controlling what gets posted and when, you sound like a D**n communist punk!

• Like 1