June (July) 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Would love to relive a good old fashioned PNW winter like that in my lifetime.

We will.

• Like 2

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

2016-17 was better in some ways for western OR.

It was pretty good. Spread the wealth around in the snow dept but there wasn’t anything top-tier like that Nov 1955 stretch.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Nah, 1955-56 was definitely a superior winter for pretty much everyone south of Lynden.

That was a really solid winter.  It was outstanding for having cold / snow throughout the winter.  For this area the February event was quite solid and of course November was insane.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The latest GFS shows 850s dropping to 3 early next week.  That is really chilly for post July 10.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The latest GFS shows 850s dropping to 3 early next week. That is really chilly for post July 10.

PNW tourism is gonna skyrocket if that GFS run even comes close to verifying. Everyone else roasts.

Like, this is legit scary.

ujf9qUr.png

2016-17 had more snow for parts of western OR. Snow matters to some people.

Which parts? 

I believe virtually every single station had more snow in 1955-56. In fact, it was pretty much objectively a snowier winter in western OR with more measurable snow events and more measurable snowfall. Facts are important.

There was certainly a stronger GOA block in 1955/56 compared to 2016/17.

I’ll leave the surface/boundary layer details to you guys, obviously.

Which parts? 

I believe virtually every single station had more snow in 1955-56. In fact, it was pretty much objectively a snowier winter in western OR with more measurable snow events and more measurable snowfall. Facts are important.

The Salem area, for one. My brother who lived there measured over 20" of snow that winter, with 4-5 significant snow events.

Sadly, there are few long term stations where you can actually make a direct comparison in that region, but SLE had 15" in 1955-56.

A forum for the end of the world.

The Salem area, for one. My brother who lived there measured over 20" of snow that winter, with 4-5 significant snow events.

Sadly, there are few long term stations where you can actually make a direct comparison in that region, but SLE had 15" in 1955-56.

SLE itself did not have 15" of snow in 2016-17. They had perhaps 6" in December, 3" in January, and 2" in March. 1955-56 was snowier there.

Ashland, Medford, Grants Pass, Roseburg, Cottage Grove, Eugene, Corvallis, and the entire Portland metro/northern valley also had more in 1955-56. Suburban areas around Portland actually had 40"+ that winter. It was a very snowy winter across much of western OR.

SLE itself did not have 15" of snow in 2016-17. They had perhaps 6" in December, 3" in January, and 2" in March. 1955-56 was snowier there.

Ashland, Medford, Grants Pass, Roseburg, Cottage Grove, Eugene, Corvallis, and the entire Portland metro/northern valley also had more in 1955-56. Suburban areas around Portland actually had 40"+ that winter. It was a very snowy winter across much of western OR.

Forest Grove is not representative of suburban Portland.  ;)

Forest Grove is not representative of suburban Portland.  ;)

Forest Grove is literally a suburb of Portland. And depending on the pattern they can be snowier or less snowy than other parts of suburban Portland, like here  ;)

And are you seriously trying to dispute that 1955-56 was a very snowy winter around here?  :lol:

Forest Grove does really well in the cold air damming situations like most of the north valley down to about Monmouth.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Forest Grove does really well in the cold air damming situations like most of the north valley down to about Monmouth.

Yep, and there are other situations (shallow gorge outflow, westerly flow) where they don't do as well as some other areas.

Flatiron seems to be under the impression that the outer suburbs of Portland all mimic PDX, which is literally at sea level.

Western Washington County, Columbia County, Clark County, and Gresham/Troutdale all do a decent amount better than PDX and the southern suburbs (Milwaukie, Oregon City, Tigard) do.

The latest GFS shows 850s dropping to 3 early next week.  That is really chilly for post July 10.

It really is the year without a summer!!! Wow... Never would have thought this would happen in my lifetime and yet here we are seeing it unfold firsthand...

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

This summer feels pretty normal to me so far. Like the ones before 2013.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

It really is the year without a summer!!! Wow... Never would have thought this would happen in my lifetime and yet here we are seeing it unfold firsthand...

Maybe you should move to Phoenix or the Gulf Coast?

PNW tourism is gonna skyrocket if that GFS run even comes close to verifying. Everyone else roasts.

Like, this is legit scary.ujf9qUr.png

Looks similar to 2010 when most of the nation had record heat and half the days of summer in Oceanside set record low maximums. Sea surface temperatures stayed springlike all summer, and San Diego actually averaged below 70 for the high in July. However, Downtown L.A. set its record highest temperature in history of 113 F on September 27 that year. Then on November 4, San Diego reached 100 degrees, whicb was the hottest day of the year and first time to reach triple digits in nearly 20 years.

• Like 2

Forest Grove is literally a suburb of Portland. And depending on the pattern they can be snowier or less snowy than other parts of suburban Portland, like here  ;)

And are you seriously trying to dispute that 1955-56 was a very snowy winter around here?  :lol:

I'm saying it was an outlier in 1955-56. Which it was.

Still not much sign of any significant heat the next 7-10 days. Eventually it’ll happen though.

Maybe this will be the West Coast version of our “cool” summer back in 2009. Low/mid 80s every day until mid/late-August. Then the heat arrived, of course, but it was much shorter lived than usual. Flipped to autumn in early October that year.

The winter of 1979-80 has always been fascinating to me. I'm not quite sure how good the rest of the season was, the but the storm in January that dropped feet upon feet of snow over NW Oregon I think made that entire season (at least north of Salem, that is). Interesting storm-- I believe total singe storm snowfall was somewhere near an absurd 75 inches for Hood River.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

I'm saying it was an outlier in 1955-56. Which it was.

Downtown Portland had 24.4" of snow in 1955-56. I know from living out here for a long time that I typically get 175-200% of what they get on average. And the Forest Grove station has the most thorough and accurate snowfall data from suburban Portland before the 1970s. The other stations are mostly hit/miss junk.

I know it bothers you that that winter was snowier around here  :( A wise man told me that snow matters to some people, though.

Maybe this will be the West Coast version of our “cool” summer back in 2009. Low/mid 80s every day until mid/late-August. Then the heat arrived, of course, but it was much shorter lived than usual. Flipped to autumn in early October that year.

2009 was a glorious summer here as well. That year, 2011 (tons of storms), and 2015 are my three favorite summers here.

• Like 1

I was in D.C. in mid August 2009. I think it was 97 the day I was doing the Mall.

Snowed a lot there a few months later!

• Like 1