I'm thinking they overcompensated for what was the infamous GFS cold bias on the last upgrade.  Just no other way to explain the huge problems it has seeing cold in the 4 to 6 day range.  The difference between the 6z and 12z GEFS is a total joke.  They may not have bothered to correct the bias in the further out stuff.  Just a guess.

• Like 7

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Small spot of blue for me sucker!!

Reminds me of the blue line for pregnancy tests or when my son needed a diaper change.

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

1 minute ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Widespread 2-3 inches is all I ask for. Doesn't sound like too much for the weather gods to give, is it?

Preferably more but we get what we get.

That's what I want too.

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

Per NWS Spokane:

Wednesday through Saturday: "Cold" will be the most accurate 
descriptor of this part of the forecast period. The early-week 
system will begin wrapping up Wednesday morning, and its associated 
gusty winds will lessen into Wednesday afternoon. 

For the remainder of the week, a frigid arctic airmass will filter 
southward causing temperatures to plummet regionwide. The coldest 
temperatures are expected Friday through the weekend. Eastern WA and 
the ID Panhandle have a 60-80% chance of experiencing much below 
normal temperatures from January 12th-15th. For reference, normal 
temperatures for this time of year range throughout the 30s for 
highs and the 20s for lows.

While confidence is high that it will get cold, there is a lot of 
uncertainty about just how cold it will get. "Warmer" models are 
predicting highs in the teens and lows in the single digits, while 
colder models show highs struggling to get above zero and lows well 
into the negatives. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

The highest level of certainty with this is that there will be a massive pool of very cold temps to pull from.

Exactly, this type of air mass dose Not have to be on us to get really cold. The outflow will be frigid with this. 

• Shivering 3

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

11 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Great timing.

Side note.  Our furnace is over 50 years old and still working fine.  When we bought the house over 20 years ago the inspector called it a dead man walking.  They don't make em like they used to!

Yeah, hoping to get someone out today but probably going to have to wait till tomorrow. 59 degrees in here!! Lol

3 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Called it almost 2 months ago lol

IMG_5529.jpeg

to be fair if you look a couple weeks later the story changed.  go dig that one up, although I did say this event would be more transient (so probably wrong) 

18 minutes ago, Kayla said:

Nice! Snowing in Bozeman this morning as well. Looking like maybe 2-4" there by end of day. 

I've been in MN/WI over the past week where there is still ZERO snow on the ground. Pretty wild. Looks like I'll be heading home right before the Bozeman becomes the Arctic...again.🥶

12z Canadian has you sub -10 from hour 120 on. With a couple of lows near -40.

A forum for the end of the world.

Allow me to be the wet blanket this morning, a @Rubus Leucodermis if you will. There are a couple concerning things that make me think that the GFS might have been on to something.

Didn’t the GFS get extra obs data early Friday from the Northern Pacific? Later that day we saw our shift to solutions that we’d typically expect. In addition, all of these model “turn arounds” occurred during the weekend when there is a three part hit to accuracy; a drop in aircraft obs, a drop in initialization data, and a lack of human input.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

15 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

This is still just amazing to me. @iFred you really think there is something about the weekend runs/lack of human data validation that may have caused this?

IMG_6766.png

Either a feature didn’t develop as expected or that feature doesn’t develop without the added data.

1 minute ago, iFred said:

Allow me to be the wet blanket this morning, a @Rubus Leucodermis if you will. There are a couple concerning things that make me think that the GFS might have been on to something.

Didn’t the GFS get extra obs data early Friday from the Northern Pacific? Later that day we saw our shift to solutions that we’d typically expect. In addition, all of these model “turn arounds” occurred during the weekend when there is a three part hit to accuracy; a drop in aircraft obs, a drop in initialization data, and a lack of human input.

But...the 12z was a good improvement.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

6 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I'm thinking they overcompensated for what the infamous GFS cold bias on the last upgrade.  Just no other way to explain the huge problems it has seeing cold in the 4 to 6 day range.  The difference between the 6z and 12z GEFS is a total joke.  They may not have bothered to correct the bias in the further out stuff.  Just a guess.

Struggling in upper level pattern 

4 minutes ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

Cliff's model starting to go ham on the snow.  Definitely expect a blog update today. 

Not even the full run:

CliffModel.gif

These maps are the worst

• Like 2

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

3 minutes ago, iFred said:

so a 'garden variety' GFS solution is most likely?

18 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Great timing.

Side note.  Our furnace is over 50 years old and still working fine.  When we bought the house over 20 years ago the inspector called it a dead man walking.  They don't make em like they used to!

Oil or electric?

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Oil or electric?

Natural gas.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

7 minutes ago, iFred said:

I’m still holding out hopes for a good bust, but frankly it does not look good. The Euro just refuses to come around and the clock is ticking.

• Excited 1
  • lol 2
It's called clown range for a reason.

9 minutes ago, Kolk1604 said:

Missing Rob too 

When things get real juicy in the model world he prioritizes his time and mostly stays on his FB weather group. 

• Like 4

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Just now, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I’m still holding out hopes for a good bust, but frankly it does not look good. The Euro just refuses to come around and the clock is ticking.

so now we're anti euro?  trying to decide which camp to join

7 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Don't spike the football at the 5 yard line!

image.gif

• lol 4
  • scream 1
  • bongocat-test 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

30 minutes ago, Kayla said:

Nice! Snowing in Bozeman this morning as well. Looking like maybe 2-4" there by end of day. 

I've been in MN/WI over the past week where there is still ZERO snow on the ground. Pretty wild. Looks like I'll be heading home right before the Bozeman becomes the Arctic...again.🥶

My son is headed there this weekend to see friends, looks like it will be pretty interesting weather-wise.  I think he flies in Thursday afternoon and back out Sunday.

2 minutes ago, luvssnow_seattle said:

Climate change denier!! You are truly evil how could you?! 😳😬😁

snow eater 50mph SW winds are going to wipe out any snow we get tomorrow before the arctic air gets here, fyi