February 2024 Weather in the PNW

1 hour ago, TacomaWx said:

I’ve just kind of leaned towards not checking in on the forum much when it gets slow in the weather department recently. Boredom seems to lead to chippy altercations and conversations here. Bound to happen when the weather isn’t that interesting. 

I don’t know, those OLM conversations leave me at the edge of my seat.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • lol 1
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

That annoys me, but I also find it odd that the sports fora are in the West of the Rockies weather group instead of the Off Topic one, where one would think they belong. At least I would think they belong there. Sports and weather are two distinctly different topics.

It’s sent me into the wrong topic more than once. I realize that’s partly my fault for not reading the topic title, but the categorization still strikes me as odd.

Then again, it’s a world of sports meatheads and I am in the minority.

It was in off topic but then kept bubbling up over and over. Thankfully our teams suck and the activity is pretty limited. Maybe next season I’ll go full Mao and bring a little Cultural Revolution to the posting standards.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • bongocat-test 1

5 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

Have we seen Nyberg since his famous post?

That annoying lawyer? I don't think so.

1 less lawyer on this forum is some good progress, if you ask me.

• Like 1
  • lol 1
  • Popcorn 3
  • Sad 1
  • bongocat-test 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated March 27th) 107"

Snow depth at my home (updated March 27th): none

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated March 27th): 84"

3 minutes ago, iFred said:

It was in off topic but then kept bubbling up over and over. Thankfully our teams suck and the activity is pretty limited. Maybe next season I’ll go full Mao and bring a little Cultural Revolution to the posting standards.

China News GIF by HuffPost

• lol 1

8 minutes ago, iFred said:

I merged his account with Jesse’s, that’s why he gets referred in the third person.

Thank you for featuring my post, btw. Nice to have a little forum luv thrown my way on the rare occasion 🥰 

• Like 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

2 hours ago, Phishy Wx said:

China News GIF by HuffPost

That event never happened. Just like it was never argued that people from the PNW are just plain uglier and dumber becuz it rains too much here.

Edited by Cascadia_Wx
  • Weenie 1

3 hours ago, Phishy Wx said:

so where is he supposed to go to the bathroom?  businesses often keep their doors to bathrooms locked in big cities.  why don't you contribute some of your $$$ to help the homeless, go volunteer at a soup kitchen or shelter.  they're not the problem, our 'system' is the problem.  If you're not helping find solutions you're just part of the capitalistic problem

Not completely true. Some people Do NOT want help. I have a friend i went to school with who is homeless and he lives in the woods 2 blocks away from my auto shop. His name is Aaron and i have tried to help him and he refuses any help and told me he likes what he is doing. I had a job lined up for him and a plan i wrote down so he could see how everything could work for him. To this day he is doing the same thing 5 years later. This is just 1 example of a person living like a animal that dose not want help in anyway. 

• Like 5
  • Popcorn 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Not completely true. Some people Do NOT want help. I have a friend i went to school with who is homeless and he lives in the woods 2 blocks away from my auto shop. His name is Aaron and i have tried to help him and he refuses any help and told me he likes what he is doing. I had a job lined up for him and a plan i wrote down so he could see how everything could work for him. To this day he is doing the same thing 5 years later. This is just 1 example of a person living like an animal that dose not want help in anyway. 

Of course people like that exist but it’s also not good to generalize from just one example. I’m sure the wide majority of people living that way would accept better conditions if they were offered. Drug addiction and mental illness also play a role pretty often.

• Like 2

I have donated and tried helping a bunch of people and many of them are fakes. Last Christmas i had a deaf guy walking around fred meyer parking lot with a card saying he was deaf and any help would make a big difference. I gave him 100 bux and he started to cry and was very happy but something told me he was a fake so i drove around a minute and came up behind him and honked my horn and The Dude jumped up about 3 feet scared. I got out and chased him trying to get my money back. He could run faster than me!!

• Excited 1
  • lol 3
  • scream 1

1 minute ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Of course people like that exist but it’s also not good to generalize from just one example. I’m sure the wide majority of people living that way would accept better conditions if they were offered. Drug addiction and mental illness also play a role pretty often.

The woman i'm with now was homeless for 6 months about 15 years ago when she was struggling with drugs but she never gave up and finally got here feet on the ground. She could write a book about what she has been through. 

• Like 6

Anyway, we should probably move the discussion elsewhere. Not that I even go into the politics dumpster fire anymore, since it’s long been clear that the average political ideologue here makes Benito Mussolini look like Harvey Milk.

Plus I want to clear space for @SilverFallsAndrew’s much anticipated thoughts on dat ensemble mean doe.

10 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Not completely true. Some people Do NOT want help. I have a friend i went to school with who is homeless and he lives in the woods 2 blocks away from my auto shop. His name is Aaron and i have tried to help him and he refuses any help and told me he likes what he is doing. I had a job lined up for him and a plan i wrote down so he could see how everything could work for him. To this day he is doing the same thing 5 years later. This is just 1 example of a person living like a animal that dose not want help in anyway. 

IMG_8156.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, the_convergence_zone said:

The next two weeks are a total snoozefest, not much else to say. Snowpack is going to keep falling farther behind normal. 

BFI (blooming flower index) looking stellar though.

#whatreallycounts 

Apologies if this has been posted already but a LA Nina watch has been issued.

41F and overcast today. Had some light showers overnight. No thunder but a 100% chance of loud purring from my cat who plopped himself in between my arms at the moment.

• Like 2

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

Hope everyone is enjoying the doldrums of winter. Here's Flagstaff right now 

image.png.a4e4f5e0d6130476ed5bb09c0abcd949.png

• Like 2
  • Sun 1
  • Snow 2

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

It's kind of fun watching the Graph Cast lead the way on the trough next week.  It continues to dig the trough more sharply, but the other models are catching up.  It also keeps the trough locked in much longer with the Pacific energy held at bay.

Wed 14 Feb 2024 06 UTC (T+138)

• Like 5

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

27 minutes ago, jakerepp said:

Hope everyone is enjoying the doldrums of winter. Here's Flagstaff right now 

image.png.a4e4f5e0d6130476ed5bb09c0abcd949.png

That is some serious nuking right there.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The pattern we're in is pretty weird.  A persistent chilly trough which is atypical of a strong El Nino in February, but so D**n dull.

Pretty good chance things are going to get crazy once the SSW / PV split gets into high gear.

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 hours ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

It better not be neutral this year!

I think neutral could work out fine for next winter.  For a cool summer a Nina would be preferable.  I think a pretty hard crash is very much on the table, but nothing is sure right now.

• Popcorn 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It would be nice to get a freeze in Saturday morning. Haven’t had one since the 20th of January.

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

2 hours ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I have donated and tried helping a bunch of people and many of them are fakes. Last Christmas i had a deaf guy walking around fred meyer parking lot with a card saying he was deaf and any help would make a big difference. I gave him 100 bux and he started to cry and was very happy but something told me he was a fake so i drove around a minute and came up behind him and honked my horn and The Dude jumped up about 3 feet scared. I got out and chased him trying to get my money back. He could run faster than me!!

This is why these days I prefer to donate to local churches or the Salvation Army. Even the church in Vietnam where my wife is currently at. How they want to handle that is their business. But, I stopped handing out to random hobos on the streets after one threw back some food in my car I gave them some at a red light, saying they didn’t ask for food, only money. 

• Like 7