February 2024 Weather in the PNW

27 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

Continues to look like 500 ft snow levels in the Seattle area to me, but realistically anything more than a dusting will be confined to areas hugging the Olympic Mountains. It will be interesting to see if Sea-Tac can measure a couple tenths of an inch or if they will be stuck with a zero on the year. 

SEA is at like 400'. I believe!!

• bongocat-test 1

A forum for the end of the world.

3 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

I think he (or she not sure) rephrased that and isn’t a Washington state native…so might not be exactly familiar with the geography of the area super well and that most cities out in kitsap are like 15-20 miles east of the Olympics. 

It was poor wording on my part, I was referring to all of Kitsap County but I can see that the terminology of "hugging the Olympics" probably means along highway 101 if you live out there. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Their probability maps are dumb. Says like 18% chance of 1” here. I’d rather they just put out an actual snow map forecast than some probability map…or no maps at all. Anything besides the probabilistic stuff 

It's a fat hedge. If they give it a 20% chance of happening, and it does, it was in the forecast

If it doesn't happen, the forecast said the chance was low anyway.

• Like 4

A forum for the end of the world.

Just now, Front Ranger said:

It's a fat hedge. If they give it a 20% chance of happening, and it does, it was in the forecast

If it doesn't happen, the forecast said the chance was low anyway.

It's just NBM output, I doubt there was any forecaster input at all other than the decision to package it into a graphic. 

1 minute ago, T-Town said:

Liquid snowstorm is almost here. 

IMG_9040.jpeg

I’m really hoping that tonight works out but we will see the euro is giving me some hope. If we can do 8 years in a row with measurable snowfall in February that would be amazing…just not sure what to make of this potential event yet! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

You gotta ask @HuskyMaestro. Since Jan 2022, I think its zero or less an inch but he would know more. Ik in December 21 I had a friend in the Fife/Milton/Puyallup valley area measure 4 inches while parts of Tacoma got a foot in that event which insane since its less than 5-10 miles away.

Since Jan 2022 in my backyard, I’ve gotten 2.1” but it was also pretty spotty across the area. That 0.1 coming from this winter lol. I wish I took better measurements overall, it was before I discovered this forum. I got around 10” in 2019 and that was incredible. 

Fife is along the river valley and is surrounded by higher hills with Tacoma to the west and Milton to the north. Immediately to the northwest is the port and the sound where it’s easier for warmer air to funnel into Fife and Puyallup in marginal events which we get a lot. That’s just my layman’s experience with living here and watching rain/snow lines on radar, I’m sure there’s more to it. But I can’t wait be done with college and hopefully move somewhere in WA that’s snowier ☃️

• Like 5

𝘐𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴,

𝘐 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘰𝘸𝘯.

𝘗𝘶𝘺𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘶𝘱.

Reddit: HotlineMaestro

3 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

I’m really hoping that tonight works out but we will see the euro is giving me some hope. If we can do 8 years in a row with measurable snowfall in February that would be amazing…just not sure what to make of this potential event yet! 

My temp has been dropping steadily but dp has shot up to 35 which isn’t good. 

9 minutes ago, HuskyMaestro said:

Since Jan 2022 in my backyard, I’ve gotten 2.1” but it was also pretty spotty across the area. That 0.1 coming from this winter lol. I wish I took better measurements overall, it was before I discovered this forum. I got around 10” in 2019 and that was incredible. 

Fife is along the river valley and is surrounded by higher hills with Tacoma to the west and Milton to the north. Immediately to the northwest is the port and the sound where it’s easier for warmer air to funnel into Fife and Puyallup in marginal events which we get a lot. That’s just my layman’s experience with living here and watching rain/snow lines on radar, I’m sure there’s more to it. But I can’t wait be done with college and hopefully move somewhere in WA that’s snowier ☃️

Yeah, just a few miles away I do much better…but still not the best spot in western WA either. We’ve had 7.5” here since December 2021…but overall after this winter assuming a big snowfall doesn’t happen in the next few weeks we will probably be due for a 4-6” snowfall. Havent had a big snow event since December 2021…just a lot of small ones. 

• Like 2

Depressing

image.png

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

12 minutes ago, Hyperbolic Trendz said:

That sucks, but I’m still jealous of that 24 hour snowfall you had in 2019.  I haven’t had anything close to that in the last decade.  Amazing, life-affirming weather event.  

That was the last time we had snow on the roads all day. Incredible event that can hopefully happen again in the next few years.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

The snowflake finally appeared! My wife never looks at the app and nobody in the house has any idea it could snow…Hopefully it will be a surprise white deck in the morning! 

IMG_2770.png

• Like 4
  • lol 1
  • scream 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

That first batch of mixed precip around 230 pulled us down to 37 and been holding steady there for a few hours. Light precip has returned, but if I’m tracking seems like we’ll need some real heavy stuff to cool down this column enough for any stickage… 🤷🏻‍♂️ ❄️ 

• Like 3
  • Sun 1

Portland | Raleigh Hills/West Sylvan | 350’

”All models are wrong, some are useful.”

-G. Box

Currently 42 with a DP of 25. Hopefully that bodes well for later if there’s precip here.

• Like 1

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

7 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Lol that’s just your inner weenie speaking way too early to be worried. 

No I'm comparing this to many events I've studied the last 30 years. This will be incredible if it plays out like models show.  

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Out BBQ’ing on the deck and a flock of geese just flew by heading north…It’s over? 

IMG_2771.jpeg

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!