February 2024 Weather in the PNW

The suspense is killing me.  When is this cold bubble going to break the surface?  This is a week ago and it still hasn't.  It has got to be VERY close!

wkteq_xz.gif

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

My son in salem has had 6" of sleet and zr since Feb 2021, and 7" of snow. Pretty crazy if you ask me

The ZR and sleet number is insane.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

The suspense is killing me.  When is this cold bubble going to break the surface?  This is a week ago and it still hasn't.  It has got to be VERY close!

wkteq_xz.gif

I'm far from an expert on that, but since cold water is denser than warm water, seems like it could take a bit for that cold pocket to surface without a driving force/storm nearby, right?

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

11 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Looks pretty similar to last Feb and March where most of y'all did well. There was only one location that didn't for 2022-23 really... It's pretty incredible that we've had more ice accumulation here than snow since Dec 2021.

Happy birthday man.

To be fair, a lot of areas around downtown Seattle also didn't see much last winter. Hopefully the south/central valley can see some good snow in the next few years. That ice number is crazy

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Could someone post the EPS snow map? 

I expect every run will be good for your area.

1709726400-CvYcwzHASts.png

• Like 8

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

10 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

I'm far from an expert on that, but since cold water is denser than warm water, seems like it could take a bit for that cold pocket to surface without a driving force/storm nearby, right?

In this case the normal progression is both warm and cold anoms sink in the west and upwell in the east.  If you look at the time lapse that cold bubble has upwelled a lot over the past month.

It's like a conveyer belt with the belt on top of the rollers going way and the belt under the rollers going the other.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, FrozenBites said:

Happy Birthday! Hope you have many more to come!

So do I!

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

30 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Partially because it has serious terrain bleed issues and only has 10:1 ratio map available.    Its not to be taken literally obviously.   The operational run is much more meaningful.  

I always thought the EPS was the holy grail with stuff this far out.  We are still talking a ways down the road with this.  You seriously feel comfortable with a no lowland snow call when the models are showing snow over the ocean along the WA Coast?

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Also...the terrain bleed thing makes no sense with snow being shown over the ocean either.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

I always thought the EPS was the holy grail with stuff this far out.  We are still talking a ways down the road with this.  You seriously feel comfortable with a no lowland snow call when the models are showing snow over the ocean along the WA Coast?

Exactly! If it's showing 2+" of snow for everywhere north of the 45th parallel way out in the ocean, then I'd say  western Washington/Oregon have a pretty good shot at this.

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated April 29th) 88"

Snow depth at my home (updated April 29th) late season 1"!

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated April 29th) 92"!!

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I didn't say no lowland snow.  Of course there will be some in places.    But the EPS mean snowfall map is not meant to be taken literally for the reasons stated.   You think the entire area is going to get 1-2 feet of snow in the next 2 weeks?    Of course not.  You know not to take the EPS snowfall map for the next 15 days literally.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, TT-SEA said:

I didn't say no lowland snow.  Of course there will be some in places.    But the EPS mean snowfall map is not meant to be taken literally for the reasons stated.   You think the entire area is going to get 1-2 feet of snow in the next 2 weeks?    Of course not.  You know not to take the EPS snowfall map for the next 15 days literally.  

True.

• lol 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

11 minutes ago, Doinko said:

To be fair, a lot of areas around downtown Seattle also didn't see much last winter. Hopefully the south/central valley can see some good snow in the next few years. That ice number is crazy

Last winter was fair.  The big problem is all of the snows were frustratingly small.  Just no satisfying 1/10 mile visibility burst of snowfall.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, SnowWillarrive said:

Hope you get snow soon for your birthday. And not just a little. 

I've actually had snow on my birthday a few times.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

True.

Its also much worse in cold onshore flow situations.   It just compounds 10:1 ratio errors across 50 members and it gets worse the farther out you go in time.    To the point that the total map becomes ridiculous.   But it probably does mean there will be snow at times in places.    

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

8 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

The euro has had a problem with coastline snow the last few years. Seems like it thinks everything is shifted west 5-15 miles. 

I bet when Tim turns 60 he will want snow in late February and into March as well! Jim’s wisdom will have rubbed off on him by then! 

• Like 1
  • lol 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

And i dont think those meteograms are straight from ECMWF. They are derived by the website somehow based on the maps/data they get from ECMWF. So there is something potentially off with WxBell (or maybe its the right one?). CHeck out Boeing Field snow from WeatherModels vs Wxbell for this 12z run

download.png

ecmwf-ensemble-KBFI-indiv_snow-8430400.png

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

And i dont think those meteograms are straight from ECMWF. They are derived by the website somehow based on the maps/data they get from ECMWF. So there is something potentially off with WxBell (or maybe its the right one?). CHeck out Boeing Field snow from WeatherModels vs Wxbell for this 12z run

download.png

ecmwf-ensemble-KBFI-indiv_snow-8430400.png

I dont see any ratio specified by Weathermodels, maybe they use Kuchera or something other than 10:1 ratio and that explains it rather than any difference in plotting the data they get some ECMWF differently. 

25 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

It's the holy grail with big picture 500mb pattern stuff. Its low resolution makes it way less accurate for surface level features and details that determine lowland snowfall. Happens all the time it shows way more widespread lowland snow than could ever happen given the pattern its predicting and this is one of those times.

• Like 2

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

53F and cloudy, on and off showers. Some exciting times ahead for late Feb and early March, would be pretty happy for an overnight 1" of snow in my backyard, though still hoping for a last 2019/2021 hoorah in Fife before I move out sooner or later ❄️

𝘐𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴,

𝘐 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘰𝘸𝘯.

𝘗𝘶𝘺𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘶𝘱.

Reddit: HotlineMaestro

10 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

Here's 10:1 maps from both sites. Weathermodels doesn't have a pacific northwest map but they do have the states one. index(1).png.5793954089dbd509f8bd516d8853689a.pngindex.png.de7a9939063366eaade5b860508a64ea.pngecmwf-ensemble-avg-or_wa-total_snow_10to1-9726400(1).thumb.png.42e6ce309571879feb693e404abb869a.png

These maps are dumb, when was the last time forks had 24 inches of snow. 

• Like 4

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

1 minute ago, westcoastexpat said:

Definitely looking more and more like a mountain snows set up.

A map like this has nothing to do with it snowing. I have had 10 inches of snow and 42 degrees 4 hrs later. This just shows it wont be below freezing during the day.

Just now, westcoastexpat said:

Between the terrain bleed and the reality that 10:1 ratio ain't happening in this set up,  these maps are just a joke for sure

I had over 10.1 ratio last event. I measured it, also did the math at Bremerton airport and came up with the same result. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, westcoastexpat said:

Between the terrain bleed and the reality that 10:1 ratio ain't happening in this set up,  these maps are just a joke for sure

You need to go back to your fake January optimism! 

• lol 1
  • Sick 1
  • bongocat-test 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

57F and cloudy.

• Sad 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope