March 2024 Weather in the PNW

12 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Wow!! Jesse is going to become a Texan!! 

Anyway, down to 39! Super awesome sunset as I was driving back from Sedro Woolley this evening! 

I’m not moving there lol.

• Sun 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

23 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Oh now you confirmed why I don't want to go. If both of us want to go there, that probably means 1000s upon 1000s of other people also want to be there.

I figured it was just because I might be there ;) I mean you were glad my plans to move to Whitefish have faded since you might eventually relocate there. I don’t like going into my personal life here but you might feel kind of bad if you knew the reason.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Texas can be surprisingly cloudy in the spring.

I’ll be interested when that period starts to move into the reasonably forecastable range, but whatever happens we’re gonna take it in stride. Even if it’s overcast it will still get dark, the birds will get quiet etc. Plus there’s a lots of new stuff to see down there which makes the trip worthwhile on its own. Will be there for six days.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I figured it was just because I might be there ;) I mean you were glad my plans to move to Whitefish have faded since you might eventually relocate there. I don’t like going into my personal life here but you might feel kind of bad if you knew the reason.

Honestly I'd love to bump into you while viewing a solar eclipse, we probably have more in common with eachother than we would with 99% of people at Enchanted Rock. 

I will also clarify that I'm not happy that you can't move to Whitefish, I was more just playing around. Hopefully whatever the reason was also fades away, I hope you'll be able to live wherever you want to live, even if it's the same town as me lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated March 27th) 107"

Snow depth at my home (updated March 27th): none

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated March 27th): 84"

Looked it up... looks like you need reservations to view the eclipse at enchanted rock.   So they might be controlling the crowd.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Also see some people booked flights from Dallas to Detroit or Buffalo to travel with the eclipse.   Although that seems fraught with potential problems.  

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Also see some people booked flights from Dallas to Detroit or Buffalo to travel with the eclipse.   Although that seems fraught with potential problems.  

Do they think the plane will move as fast as the solar eclipse or do they just want to have a backup plan to go to the northeast instead of Texas, or do they want to watch it from the airplane? If it's the 1st one, they should probably know that the plane moves much MUCH MUUUCH slower than the solar eclipse.

• lol 1

1 hour ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Planning to go to the Austin/San Antonio area  here. First time in Texas. Right now eying the Fredericksburg area because it has some cool history and is also far enough west to be the band of 4+ minutes of totality. 

Have a pipe dream of seeing it from Enchanted Rock:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enchanted_Rock

But we’ll see how that works out. I’m guessing it will be incredibly crowded there.

I did some research into that spot since it's the obvious winner... You need at least a day pass to even enter the park, which they're probably all sold out for the day of the eclipse. Worth a look though. I figure it'll probably be shoulder to shoulder up there which would ruin the vibe for me, so I'll take my chances somewhere else.

I might not even be able to see the eclipse this year, which is a drag, but I did end up seeing the 2017 eclipse in Salem, so I do have at least one under my belt to cross off this bucket list item. I also have big plans to see the one in Iceland in 2026. I was planning on visiting there eventually anyways.

• Like 4

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

2 hours ago, Front Ranger said:

Eh, those models are wrong pretty often.

Looking at past strong Nino to Nina transition summers (I know there are other factors) here at least, there is no signal for a hot summer. Second year Ninas are reliably hot.

Niño to niña summers are always atrocious out here if descending westerly shear (transition to +QBO) is also present/ongoing (2016, 2010, 1995, 1988, 1983, etc). I expect the worst.

The niña transitions with descending easterly shear aren’t nearly as awful by comparison, but that combo is infrequent (only satellite era examples are 2007 and 1998).

• Popcorn 1

1 minute ago, Meatyorologist said:

I did some research into that spot since it's the obvious winner... You need at least a day pass to even enter the park, which they're probably all sold out for the day of the eclipse. Worth a look though. I figure it'll probably be shoulder to shoulder up there which would ruin the vibe for me, so I'll take my chances somewhere else.

I might not even be able to see the eclipse this year, which is a drag, but I did end up seeing the 2017 eclipse in Salem, so I do have at least one under my belt to cross off this bucket list item. I also have big plans to see the one in Iceland in 2026. I was planning on visiting there eventually anyways.

The day passes for eclipse at enchanted rock just became available on Monday.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Looked it up... looks like you need reservations to view the eclipse at enchanted rock.   So they might be controlling the crowd.

Oh f#%k I forgot they released permits 2 days ago, thought it was tommorow. Was looking into it a month ago, and now it's too late because all the permits are sold out.

Bad news for me and @Cascadia_Wx..

1 minute ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

My wife's gonna be pissed

Maybe there will be a dark thunderstorm over that area during the eclipse and all those people miss out!

• Excited 2

3 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Oh f#%k I forgot they released permits 2 days ago, thought it was tommorow. Was looking into it a month ago, and now it's too late because all the permits are sold out.

Bad news for me and @Cascadia_Wx..

I’m not too torn up. Would have probably been a zoo there anyway even with some degree of crowd control.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

With a La Niña transition looking more likely, I think that Phil is starting to feel that SE ridge nipping at his toes and wants to spread the misery ;)

Misery loves company. Maybe I’ll get lucky and score a ring of fire derecho or two before the death ridge shuts off convection for the rest of summer.

14 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Me and the gf are just going to drive out to OH and catch it somewhere random. Play it by ear.

• Like 3
  • Excited 1

4 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Do they think the plane will move as fast as the solar eclipse or do they just want to have a backup plan to go to the northeast instead of Texas, or do they want to watch it from the airplane? If it's the 1st one, they should probably know that the plane moves much MUCH MUUUCH slower than the solar eclipse.

They did something similar in 2017... I believe they just hug the center of totality and follow its path until the shadow beats them. No they aren't as fast as our rotating planet or its celestial bodies, but planes do have some speed to them. I believe they can add a couple mins if they're accurate and fast enough!

Personally I'd rather experience the eclipse on a warm day with the smell of grass in the air surrounded by friends and family. Paying $2500 for a solo window seat crammed in a stuffy metal tube with obnoxious AC whirring into your ear and other passengers fighting for a view while you try to angle your head to see the eclipse because you can't see the moon itself from a comfortable seating position, and who knows the myriad of other potential problems you could think of that you'd likely encounter...yeah, i'm good on the ground.

• Like 6

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

8 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

We were in Madras for the August 2017 eclipse…it was incredible. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I’m not too torn up. Would have probably been a zoo there anyway even with some degree of crowd control.

I had been planning to go to Texas to see the eclipse, but various aspects of chaos intervened. At least I got to see the total eclipse in 2017. With friends, in a remote area, in a five-acre meadow we had all to ourselves.

• Like 3
It's called clown range for a reason.

Just now, Omegaraptor said:

Kind of on topic… a huge portion of LAKE COUNTY has just been declared an International Dark Sky Sanctuary, one of 19 in the world. More of SE Oregon may follow soon.

https://darksky.org/news/outback-dark-international-dark-sky-sanctuary/

IMG_4342.thumb.jpeg.f207b3e82afa35afb4a167a3a777fa1c.jpeg

I can confirm based on personal experience that the night skies are exceptional in that area.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Down to 36…Could be a frosty morning! 

I know, I know…I’m a massive hypocrite. But at least solar eclipses and the weather conditions needed to properly view them are more weather/earth science’s related than discussing the finer points of the Zagat’s Top 10 Best Restaurants of Kauai.

• Sun 1

Just now, Cascadia_Wx said:

I know, I know…I’m a massive hypocrite. But at least solar eclipses and the weather conditions needed to properly view them are more weather/earth science’s related than discussing the finer points of the Zagat’s Top 10 Best Restaurants of Kauai.

Has Tim ever done that? Merely mentioning a trip to Hawaii doesn’t count. People would wonder about his mysterious absence here if he didn’t do that.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

Got pretty lucky in 2017...was with 5 friends and found a pretty isolated spot in the middle of nowhere (which is 99% of Wyoming). There were other people around, but we still had space. 

At the same time, having other people nearby was pretty cool because hearing everyone react to it at the same time sort of enhanced the experience. 

• Like 3

A forum for the end of the world.

7 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Good Lord.    

• lol 2
  • Sun 1

9 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Has Tim ever done that? Merely mentioning a trip to Hawaii doesn’t count. People would wonder about his mysterious absence here if he didn’t do that.

I mentioned a restaurant in Poipu yesterday because @the_convergence_zone asked for recommendations in the area.  My bad.  It was not formally approved first.

• lol 1

I live in the path of totality for the 2017 eclipse. It was fine. Honestly it wasn’t life changing or anything. It got dark for a few minutes and then it was sunny again. 

• Popcorn 1
  • Sun 1
  • Rain 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Troll 2
  • Weenie 3
  • Facepalm 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Not sure I will make it to the ECMWF tonight... but the GFS and GEM are sticking with the slow breakdown scenario and not the bigger crash the ECMWF has been showing.

4 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I live in the path of totality for the 2017 eclipse. It was fine. Honestly it wasn’t life changing or anything. It got dark for a few minutes and then it was sunny again. 

Kind of like a big snowstorm. A bunch of frozen water crystals fall out of some clouds, they lay around for awhile, and then eventually they melt. Yawner.

Just now, Anti Marine Layer said:

Luck of the Irish this weekend, unless you want winter forever. 

A sunny and warm St Patty's Day in Seattle.  Go figure.    

• Excited 3

9 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

TX is fuggin terrible.  eclipse isn't even worth it.  go to VT, NH, ME, Eastern Canada or even Mexico

Can't enjoy a natural phenomenon unless you're in a state you feel politically safe.

Science. 

• Thanks 1
  • Excited 1
  • Windy 1
  • Facepalm 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Paul Roundy’s LP composite is now projecting the central CONUS death ridge establishing from May onwards. North Central Plains and Midwest never get a break.

Will probably be even larger in reality, smothering the entire continent below 50N. Heat misers will be thrilled.

https://www.atmos.albany.edu/facstaff/roundy/waves/analogs/analogslp.html

• Weenie 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Paul Roundy’s LP composite is now projecting the central CONUS death ridge establishing from May onwards. North Central Plains and Midwest never get a break.

Will probably be even larger in reality, smothering the entire continent below 50N. Heat misers will be thrilled.

https://www.atmos.albany.edu/facstaff/roundy/waves/analogs/analogslp.html

I’m starting to feel better about this summer out here.

• lol 1
  • Confused 1