December 2020 Weather Observations for the PNW

Omegaraptor

22 minutes ago, MossMan said:

I had .54” of snowmelt today! 

The power outage last night really honked up my weather data.  Wunderground won’t update now and my Davis data logger lost several days of precip data.  My monthly total is now over 2” less than it was several days ago.  32 here now.  If we can stay fairly clear for tomorrow and tomorrow night I think I’ll still have at least some patches of snow left Christmas morning.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Acer said:

The power outage last night really honked up my weather data.  Wunderground won’t update now and my Davis data logger lost several days of precip data.  My monthly total is now over 2” less than it was several days ago.  32 here now.  If we can stay fairly clear for tomorrow and tomorrow night I think I’ll still have at least some patches of snow left Christmas morning.

That’s too bad. Yeah I heard that many parts of the area up here lost power last night, it was going off and on here but never stayed off. Branches where cracking in the woods when I went out to snow plow. Quite the evening it was! 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

19 minutes ago, Acer said:

Had that issue all the time with my data logger.  Trying to get it back online sucked.  It finally stopped after one outage so I got the weatherlink live.  
https://www.davisinstruments.com/weatherlinklive/

• Like 3

Some mountain snow will be nice. Hopefully Bachelor can stay open.

Down to 36F and partly cloudy. Very pleasant night.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

2 minutes ago, MossMan said:

What’s LIA? 

Little ice age, man. The most epic stretch of winters and overall global cooling since the Holocene began ~ 12,000 years ago. ☃️

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

10 hours ago, Kayla said:

It's getting there and is expanding quickly. We still do not have it in our neighborhood on the south end of town but it sounds like CenturyLink is going to run it here by this summer. Tech and fiber optics industry is booming here and of course COVID is accelerating fiber laying. 

Real estate pricing is absolutely soaring here now (median home prices jumped nearly 100k in August alone) so be prepared for that. 

Yeah we realized about that time that Bozeman is officially off the table for us.  Livingston was still barely in reach, but that would be a hell of a commute in the winter.  I'm hoping Montana has a brutal winter to run off all the folks who flocked to Montana to get away from Covid.

• Like 2

I'm hoping this is just a case of jet lag like on June 21st we had it so dark one day our lights were on by 4 or 5pm and it was getting much darker by 8pm. Summer was (quite) a bit tardy but came sharp when it did! Hopefully winter does the reverse with cold instead of heat!

9 hours ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

The same process is well underway in Bellingham. I moved here once I realized I could cash out my expensive home in Seattle and semi-retire here, but I am hardly the only one and the resulting upward pressure on housing costs has been very hard on those trying to buy with only a Whatcom County salary or wage to rely on; jobs just do not pay that well up this way.

Bellingham is definitely not the industrial-town-with-a-college that it once was. It’s turning into Santa Barbara North, like it or not.

I think we missed the boat this spring when we first thought about selling/moving out into the county.  Anything that would suite our needs is now going for $500k+ when the same would have been $380-400k back in March.  I'm sure our home value has gone up, but not on par with what's happening in the county.  I was really hoping to get our mortgage payment down so I can catch up on my retirement savings....