February 2017 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Looks like freezing rain for at my location.

It's definitely a good sign to see 850mb temperature still below freezing over the Puget Sound right into Friday evening. With offshore flow and precipitation bands rolling through there will be a fair amount of cooling in the lower levels. So far the NAM has been the worst of the models, expecting the cold air to scour rapidly on Friday. Fortunately it's currently alone in that prediction.

Game on? At least at "my location."

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/ecmwf/2017020200/ecmwf_T850_nwus_6.png

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Guest Sounder

There is still enormous potential with this, as tonight's runs are showing. Brennan is not wrong by saying earlier that the overall pattern remains nearly the same, even with the worst runs of the last 24 hours. It really will not take a huge shift to nail us harder than Steve Bannon hits his wife.

• Like 2

There is still enormous potential with this, as tonight's runs are showing. Brennan is not wrong by saying earlier that the overall pattern remains nearly the same, even with the worst runs of the last 24 hours. It really will not take a huge shift to nail us harder than Steve Bannon hits his wife.

You mean to tell me that the models have flipped and,flopped all year and I shouldn't take yesterday's models as gospel? No, no! No way!

Guest Sounder

You mean to tell me that the models have flipped and,flopped all year and I shouldn't take yesterday's models as gospel? No, no! No way!

Amazing how you completely missed my point. If Seattle ends up getting a foot out of this, yesterday's models wouldn't actually have been that wrong in regard to the overall pattern. When you ride such a razor thin margin for error like this, tiny pattern shifts make enormous local differences.

Giveth, taketh, and giveth again... just not as nice looking as previous runs. Models know how to play with my emotions

Calibration I guess. This is becoming quite the model rollercoaster. I'm just glad that there have been improvements with the first event on Friday, especially with many of the model runs bringing the low up closer to the shore. It could easily be the best event of our winter so far for many of us in the "screw zone"; perhaps the best event of the winter if the fun stuff that was forecast early next week doesn't come back into play. It also seems that having the initial low closer to shore reduces some of the negative tendencies to want to spit energy further offshore with the secondary low.

• Like 1

Not sure about timing... have not gone through the details.    But a huge improvement on the 00Z ECMWF.    Total snow through next Tuesday afternoon...

ecmwf_snow_144_washington_25.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Amazing how you completely missed my point. If Seattle ends up getting a foot out of this, yesterday's models wouldn't actually have been that wrong in regard to the overall pattern. When you ride such a razor thin margin for error like this, tiny pattern shifts make enormous local differences.

I think you didn't pick up on my sarcasm. Its alright. Jesse would have just called names. At least you explained your point. I understand what you were saying.

I think you didn't pick up on my sarcasm. Its alright. Jesse would have just called names. At least you explained your point. I understand what you were saying.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this vendetta you seem to have against me. I'm not even sure who you are.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this vendetta you seem to have against me. I'm not even sure who you are.

I know you. Just don't worry about it. You'll quit here again before it's all done. You'll probably still move on just fine AS WELL.

This has all the earmarks of a Whatcom County special.

Maybe. Pretty likely another screw job for us though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

No easy calls this winter. Something has to break your way at some point.

I suggest having Tim over for a Super Bowl party. Snow loves that guy.

I have simply given up.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

How much snow have you guys had so far up there in YVR Metro? If the 00z EURO verifies you could be looking at some huge totals so far this winter.

I don't know what the totals are but Burnaby and central Vancouver will likely get hit the hardest, as usual. Hopefully it doesn't rain too much...

• Like 1

How much snow have you guys had so far up there in YVR Metro? If the 00z EURO verifies you could be looking at some huge totals so far this winter.

Its a pretty varied terrain in Greater Vancouver.  Near sea level as little as 6-8".  Higher elevations have probably seen 30" and more. 

• Like 2