PNW December 2022 - Part II

Guest hawkstwelve

So this is what it would be like living in a place like the Methow Valley Or Leavenworth or somewhere over there (just more snow) that would consistently look like this all winter…Oh heaven. I really wish we could have kept a dry cold pattern for at least a week, would have been so nice compared to the goo and muck that is coming. Oh well. Did another quick plow this morning, found a half buried package behind my gate. Probably been there a day or two. 
14.9 degrees. 

A4117D39-28FA-47D4-98E1-82A2285D4FEB.jpeg

565C4DC1-B3F8-4279-BB39-FF0E0D97C434.jpeg

072C4DED-D7F3-496D-B61D-C059C297F78C.jpeg

5C7BD1E0-8C2C-4E1A-9F76-6D1C03520983.jpeg

• Like 9

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

6 minutes ago, MossMan said:

So this is what it would be like living in a place like the Methow Valley Or Leavenworth or somewhere over there (just more snow) that would consistently look like this all winter…Oh heaven. I really wish we could have kept a dry cold pattern for at least a week, would have been so nice compared to the goo and muck that is coming. Oh well. Did another quick plow this morning, found a half buried package behind my gate. Probably been there a day or two. 
14.9 degrees. 

A4117D39-28FA-47D4-98E1-82A2285D4FEB.jpeg

565C4DC1-B3F8-4279-BB39-FF0E0D97C434.jpeg

072C4DED-D7F3-496D-B61D-C059C297F78C.jpeg

5C7BD1E0-8C2C-4E1A-9F76-6D1C03520983.jpeg

I lived in the Rockies in my teens and twenties and mornings like this are like a taste of how it once was most of the winter.

• Like 2
It's called clown range for a reason.

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Blue sky!

20221221_085603.jpg

What's your temp there? Surprised you have wet roads!

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

4 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I lived in the Rockies in my teens and twenties and mornings like this are like a taste of how it once was most of the winter.

Not sure where you lived (I think you mentioned NM?) but frequent thaws have also always been a feature of winters in the Rockies, at least most places. 

A forum for the end of the world.

4 minutes ago, Kayla said:

What's your temp there? Surprised you have wet roads!

King County does an awesome job up here with the roads... constantly plowing when its snowing and they use de-icer when its frosty and sand when its snowing.   I think the reason its wet now is because they put sand down on the hills.   

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, T-Town said:

Any guesses on the start and end times for frozen precip in the south sound on Thursday and Friday?  One kid lands at seatac at 10 pm Thursday night and the other at 10 pm Friday night. Seems like both are kind of on the edge. 

00Z Euro said ZR starts at 2:00 am Friday and above freezing around noon, and 06Z said ZR at 11:00 pm Thursday and above freezing by around 10:00 am.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Friday will be crazy up there buddy. Closest thing to 1996 we have had up there maybe.

Those have been my thoughts exactly. This event is shaping up to be a mini-1996 for us northerners.

Hopefully the flooding doesn't get to bad.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Not sure where you lived (I think you mentioned NM?) but frequent thaws have also always been a feature of winters in the Rockies, at least most places. 

NM and UT. Thaws, sure, but there were also lots of sparkling clear days with snow on the ground. Snow, not rain, was the normal form winter precipitation came in, and it was typically followed up by a string of mornings like these.

Also the temperature this morning would be more like -13 instead of +13 if it were the Rockies, but at least it’s clear and frosty and cold and sparkly this morning. And I’ve grown soft enough after decades in mild coastal climates that +13 now feels a lot like -13 used to.

Soon to join Christmas 2017 and February 2022 in the freezer! Took a lot of work from my oldest daughter yesterday to make that with the snow being so powdery! 

529CF570-3782-43C2-B744-17A7F8841FEC.jpeg

• Like 6

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

As we get closer to the event some of the more stout wind predictions continue to surface-- some models have PDX gusting above 50 mph from the east. Considering the strength of the gradient and the initial intense downslope I wouldn't doubt it here in the hills and east of 205.

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Just the slightest dusting of snow here in Puyallup. I've never seen such fluffy snow here--none of it stuck. It's just individual frozen snowflakes you can pick up and throw, like rough sand or tiny gravel.

The other interesting thing is that because of this, it's reverse sticking. The white is covering the roads because it won't compact, it just blows around... and it's fallen into cracks in the grass, so it's not actually covering the yard.

Really wacky stuff. 

SNow.jpg

• Like 5

Lol, just got off the phone with and excited ex who made it to work in her frozen world of Ferndale.  She was on a high of what is this world and trying to describe the blowing snow, the drifts the zero visibility when snow was blowing across the road in open areas….lol….I could feel her energy!  I think she’s might be getting into this!  Anyhow, really enjoyed her kid demeanor. She was proud to get her car dug out from the drift as well.

11*  her place and basically 40 mph gust out of the NNE

26.9 (trending down still) my place with 10-15 mph winds out of the NNW

47C59E06-AA10-43BC-BE5E-926829B9A96F.jpeg

• Like 4

Cooling off to 24F at my place with sunny skies... That is impressive as hell. Dewpoint at 20F.

• Like 3

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

18 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Those have been my thoughts exactly. This event is shaping up to be a mini-1996 for us northerners.

Hopefully the flooding doesn't get to bad.

One of my most vivid memories of 1996 was the big windstorm we had a day or 2 after the snow stopped. Our yard had 2 feet of snow in it that you couldn’t see. It was totally covered in branches and fir needles 

• Like 1
  • Windy 1

34 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

King County does an awesome job up here with the roads... constantly plowing when its snowing and they use de-icer when its frosty and sand when its snowing.   I think the reason its wet now is because they put sand down on the hills.   

This used to be controversial and SEA didn't use deicer or salt because of damage to the environment and cars. I don't remember exactly which storm (probably 2006?) it was an absolute disaster downtown during Monday Night Football, with cars and buses blocking the freeway all night, and I think that was the incentive they needed to start deicing and salting. 

At least that's my recollection of it. I'm glad they started doing so; the roads are MUCH safer now than they used to be.

• Like 1