PNW December 2022 - Part II

Guest hawkstwelve

7 minutes ago, OysterPrintout said:

Nice to see coming down the stretch the euro going our way by showing no snow but increasing ice totals. Another PDX special.

Brb going to perform some statistical acrobatics to prove that the Puget sound area is still more due for a widespread snow event than NW oregon 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • lol 4
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

ECMWF shows Portland well above freezing by early Saturday morning... not sure I believe that.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f-1883200 (1).png

Always way too easy to scour us out on models-- never happens unless there's a strong southerly or westerly gradient. Which is a real concern as wetter systems continue to arrive over the weekend-- I could see west and central metro thawing while the hills and the east metro are a frozen hellscape. The Gorge is nonnegotiable-- it'll be impassable for days.

Edit/sidenote: blessed Mark Nelsen actually mentions this on his latest blog entry-- particularly taken from his past experiences with these setups 

• Like 5

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Mid-50s on Sunday for most of the valley. Low 50s for PDX and mid 40s in the Puget Sound. If PDX still has an east wind they won't top 45 though. 

• Sun 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Mark believes that the central/east metro will rise above freezing Saturday night. The Euro shows 0.6" of ice before we rise above freezing. If we were to assume that anything until Saturday afternoon would be frozen, that would be an additional 0.4" of ice in the east metro for a total of an inch of ice.

qpf_006h.us_nw.png

If Mark is right (probably), then all of this precip in the Portland Metro area should be frozen

qpf_acc.us_nw.png

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Dewpoint now down to 10 at The Dalles. 

• Like 3

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

22 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

But is warmer by early Friday afternoon compared to the 00Z run.  

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f-1829200.png

This is the part I don't know if I trust. Not sure about ice accumulations but in my experience it takes longer to get rid of the last bit of low-level cold, especially for the East Puget Sound Lowlands and foothills. What are winds like at that time? If anything but S, I am a little incredulous. Any eastern winds bleeding in will extend and any straight western will dam the air. It's gotta be south to warm up so quickly.

21 minutes ago, OysterPrintout said:

Nice to see coming down the stretch the euro going our way by showing no snow but increasing ice totals. Another PDX special.

Same in the central and south sound. Very little if any snow, pretty much straight to sleet and freezing rain.  The NWS mentioned a few inches of snow possible yesterday in the transition but that idea has now faded away.

Soon enough Portland and Seattle will be back in the groove doing what we do best, drizzle and rainfall. 

• Sad 1
  • Angry 1

Just now, Gummy said:

Same in the central and south sound. Very little if any snow, pretty much straight to sleet and freezing rain.  The NWS mentioned a few inches of snow possible yesterday in the transition but that idea has now faded away.

Soon enough Portland and Seattle will be back in the groove doing what we do best, drizzle and rainfall. 

Yeah actually was a way worse bust up there cause the expectations were much higher. We've been locked in to this meager transition event hoping for 1" of snow or at least for a total bust to limit freezing rain for a while now.

• Like 3

Anyone got the Euro snowfall map through Saturday with Boise in focus for me?

• Snow 1

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

1 minute ago, Tyler Mode said:

Just picked up an east wind...not much, but 5 mph.   Maybe it's happening early...models showed later this afternoon.

Could be wrong in my thinking but I would hope the cold air being a little faster/more aggressive than modeled could bode well for a deeper cold layer over the metro area by tomorrow night. Maybe buy us some more time with snow or sleet instead of ice 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Could be wrong in my thinking but I would hope the cold air being a little faster/more aggressive than modeled could bode well for a deeper cold layer over the metro area by tomorrow night. Maybe buy us some more time with snow or sleet instead of ice 

Maybe areas near Forest Grove will be all snow?  It's really noticeable here...humidity down from 97 to 74.   Dewpoint 29.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I'm hoping for a sub-28 high at PDX for the coldest since 2014. Maybe also a low below 20 to break our streak

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, OysterPrintout said:

Yeah actually was a way worse bust up there cause the expectations were much higher. We've been locked in to this meager transition event hoping for 1" of snow or at least for a total bust to limit freezing rain for a while now.

Definitely. Went from expectations of moderate snow, to getting nothing but a trace and then half an inch of ice forecast? Woof. Kind of a worst case scenario after all the model riding in the previous week. 

Not to discount PDX. Poor PDX has gotten the shaft repeatedly in the last few years. The South Sound has had it fairly rough also, at least in the Tacoma/Puyallup area where I am--even in the Feb 2019 storm the valley here got 1/2 to 1/3 the snow that everyone else did. Was disappointing for me to be at home with my toddlers looking at 3 inches while others had a foot!

• Like 3

12z Euro

I guess this dusting of snow is as good as its gonna get from the euro. The ZR even on the euro is now looking pretty high impact and this is even with what I believe is the euro warming us up too aggressively. If PDX does indeed manage to stay frozen into Saturday, these ice amounts may actually be significantly higher than even this since there is plenty more precip coming through that day that isn't included on the below maps.

sn10_acc.us_nw.png

fram_acc.us_nw.png

qpf_acc.us_nw.png

• Like 5
  • Sick 3

1 minute ago, Doinko said:

I'm hoping for a sub-28 high at PDX for the coldest since 2014. Maybe also a low below 20 to break our streak

Would be nice. I expect to see both in my location but as we know PDX can be really stubborn about performing when it comes to cold. One thing going for them is that outflow situations like this favor the airport’s location for cold more than most setups.

• Like 3

Just now, Phishy Wx said:

Partly Sunny and 9 with very fine light snow.

what does it take to get the ever elusive Snowbow?  anyone ever seen one?

Finally gets snowstorm along with arctic airmass with subzero temps they’ve been wanting all winter

Complains about lack of snowbows 

;)

• Excited 1
  • lol 1

2 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Would be nice. I expect to see both in my location but as we know PDX can be really stubborn about performing when it comes to cold. One thing going for them is that outflow situations like this favor the airport’s location for cold more than most setups.

Gonna be pretty close. Midnight will be the deciding factor.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.