August 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Geos

I would say this is slightly worse than what we had last year at the worse. Dinner at the Everett Marina, and now driving north through Marysville.

1D782F24-E79F-48B3-8350-638607EB6C8E.jpeg

85732576-64C9-4C01-9DBE-993BC3DF686D.jpeg

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I'm surprised it got to the 90s up there in Abbotsford considering it reported smoke all day with 2 miles or less of visibility.

All depends on breaking the smoke-related inversion... last September it was in the low 90s here during the evening with gusty east winds and low visibility with blowing smoke.

Clearly we under an inversion out here now as its only 72 degrees and feels damp and is perfectly calm.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I am sorting through photos this evening... here are a couple pics to offer something to look forward to soon even though it looks bleak now.

There pics were taken on 10/27 and 10/28 of last year after a record dry summer and many smoke events.  :)

20171028_195751.jpg

20171027_152447.jpg

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

All depends on breaking the smoke-related inversion... last September it was in the low 90s here during the evening with gusty east winds and low visibility with blowing smoke.

Clearly we under an inversion out here now as its only 72 degrees and feels damp and is perfectly calm.

Yeah, that makes sense.

I am sorting through photos this evening... here are a couple pics to offer something to look forward to soon even though it looks bleak now.

There pics were taken on 10/27 and 10/28 of last year after a record dry summer and many smoke events. :)

20171028_195751.jpg

20171027_152447.jpg

That fall color seems very early/late.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I wonder if any of the fires in the Cascades in both BC and Washington will blow up with the offshore flow this afternoon. I remember in 2015 a big fire near Pemberton exploded with a NE wind and sent a cloud of smoke and ash over Vancouver and Vancouver island.

I had a feeling some people in the west side would see ash fall today.

Definitely late. I spent part of this afternoon today blowing maple leaves into beautiful giant yellow piles.

We've lost a few here just in the last couple days. Might have been collateral damage from my backyard flashdancing though. Hard to say.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Offshore flow up here broke that inversion around mid morning. Environment Canada busted their forecast way too low as a result. Humidity levels were below 20% some places.

Canadian smoke model shows that all the smoke blowing offshore today and tomorrow will come back inland for an ugly day on Wednesday as well.  

Wish our cameras could catch the true image of the red sphere in the sky. So ominous!! I done with the smoke but such a different world when it’s like this. Feel like I’m on another planet with a red moon

Currently 74 with a high of 79 today

Stepped out and tried to take a quick shot. Here is my attempt:

OrangeMoonUp2.png

• Like 4

Currently 74F, s

till hasn't cooled down much here; could it be the smoke is having an insulating effect?
Not sure about that but my understanding is that smoke has limited insulating effect. Probably has more to do with a relatively mixed atmosphere. It was close to 80F up on the Malahat last I checked.

Not sure about that but my understanding is that smoke has limited insulating effect. Probably has more to do with a relatively mixed atmosphere. It was close to 80F up on the Malahat last I checked.

Smoke has a modest insulating effect, yes. Much weaker than cloud cover, for example, but it could still be enough to slow boundary layer decoupling. Theoretically speaking, at least.

It is a bit strange, there's no measureable wind here right now, but it just bounced back up to 76F.