2/14-2/17 Possible Winter Storm Train

Minny_Weather

12z FV3...likely over juiced but the take-away is that the 2nd wave is holding together better over here...

They probably need to tweak the FV3's juiciness down before it goes operational in March.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Omaha and Lincoln deserve nothing out of this.  You guys have gotten 3 or 4 snow events just like this where my area didn't see even an inch.  It's my turn to enjoy something.  Took a walk for an hour while the best returns were here.  Had moderate to heavy snow and good flake size for a bit.  Probably around 3 inches with the back edge now approaching.

Uhhhhhhhh.. Sorry?

• Like 2

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

My call for maybe 2” total out of these systems is looking pretty good. Just makes you laugh that much harder when you see those clown maps the models keep spitting out

Yeah unfortunately it looks like your prediction might end up being dead on. Dry air always seems to get us here in Omaha with these types of setups, never fails.

Enjoy the snow Clint, you guys did need this one a little bit more than all of us in Eastern Nebraska... I won’t argue with you there.

• Like 2

Well, not sure what has happened but a lot of the good returns over Central Nebraska just suddenly got zapped. That sucks for here.

Currently, we're finally getting some good sized flakes. I'll go outside and measure when I get the chance.There's no wind which is making this beautiful. 9.9*F.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Well, not sure what has happened but a lot of the good returns over Central Nebraska just suddenly got zapped. That sucks for here.

Currently, we're finally getting some good sized flakes. I'll go outside and measure when I get the chance.There's no wind which is making this beautiful. 9.9*F.

Well be sure to take what you can get from this system, still haven’t seen one snowflake fall here in Omaha and might not at all the way it is looking.

Dry air is king around here.

Who knows, maybe SEMI can score a few flurries from this.. :lol: It looks much better for peeps south of me.

I think SMI west and east is SOL for snow for awhile.

Nah. I said b4 2nd wave gonna be a 1-2" deal, and most models continue that theme. NAM and jacked-up F(unny)V(s)3 aside.  Should refresh the left-overs just enough to look like the season it is here in Marshall. 

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

They probably need to tweak the FV3's juiciness down before it goes operational in March.

With only a month left, I would not expect any more tweaks. Such tweaks in complex models of any type (economics, social, etc.) do not stand alone. A "fix" to the juiciness here has some effect in other aspects of the model, perhaps not even directly related to the QPF. It might be easier or more likely for the forecasters to mentally adjust the suggestion of the model, or to simply favor other models for the amount of moisture.

• Like 1

im just as salty as you but none of us can control what falls from the sky. Move to upper Michigan if it’s that big a deal. We’ve been nickeled and dimed I’m omaha all year and gone without a major storm for years now. Frustrating yes, but nothing we can do to change it.

Omaha and Lincoln deserve nothing out of this. You guys have gotten 3 or 4 snow events just like this where my area didn't see even an inch. It's my turn to enjoy something. Took a walk for an hour while the best returns were here. Had moderate to heavy snow and good flake size for a bit. Probably around 3 inches with the back edge now approaching.

im just as salty as you but none of us can control what falls from the sky. Move to upper Michigan if it’s that big a deal. We’ve been nickeled and dimed I’m omaha all year and gone without a major storm for years now. Frustrating yes, but nothing we can do to change it.

You're allowed to be frustrated. Not being to control the weather isn't a valid argument against that.

Nebraska’s climo sucks. It’s astonishing the amount of people in here that forget that.

Not much worse than yours. I'm not complaining this year cuz we're above our overall seasonal average, but I feel anyone who is at half of their season-to-date average can complain. I just personally don't like the way he worded that. Nobody here expects 100" a year.

Nebraska’s climo sucks. It’s astonishing the amount of people in here that forget that.

That's a bit true. NE is a bit drier than areas to the east in the winter, so I do generally expect less than places like Iowa and Chicago. We're at the same latitude, but storm track (especially clippers) tend to favor you guys. OTOH, there's no denying it's still been a terrible stretch, especially for Eastern NE. This is the first above average season in Lincoln since 2012-13.  Areas like North Platte, Grand Island, and Norfolk have all scored big multiple times. The gap in average snowfall between Omaha and Des Moines is currently the widest it's ever been in history, when Omaha used to generally average around the same to a few inches less and now the difference is like 10". 

• Like 2

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

That's a bit true. NE is a bit drier than areas to the east in the winter, so I do generally expect less than places like Iowa and Chicago. We're at the same latitude, but storm track (especially clippers) tend to favor you guys. OTOH, there's no denying it's still been a terrible stretch, especially for Eastern NE. This is the first above average season in Lincoln since 2012-13. Areas like North Platte, Grand Island, and Norfolk have all scored big multiple times. The gap in average snowfall between Omaha and Des Moines is currently the widest it's ever been in history, when Omaha used to generally average around the same to a few inches less and now the difference is like 10".

I don't even like to count 2012-13 as above average. If it weren't for those crap April and May snowfalls, it'd be an inch or two below average. This is for sure the best year since 2009-10 imo.

• Like 1

I love snow and fondly remember much better systems each year growing up in eastern ne in the 80’s. I come here to look at maps and discussion on upcoming systems. When someone says someone isn’t deserving of what comes their way is insane to me. We have a complaint section for that garbage. Congrats to all who saw snow today. I could count the flakes as they fell but that’s life.

• Like 1

Totally going off eye balling but looks like somewhere between 3-4" of snow. Forecast for my area was calling for 3-5" so I would say they nailed it! I thought I was going to miss out with that dry air to the north east inching ever so closely to my county. I'll take it though; been too long staring at brown grass all winter long good nice to finally have some white around! 

• Like 4

About 2" here. Should have gotten more but someone (probably Clint) vacuumed up all the returns before they got here. Gotta hope tomorrow's wave overachieves cuz I don't think this powdery 2" will survive even the slightest hint of sun.

Snow starting to let up a little have not been out for a measurement yet but I would guess around 4 inches.  Kiddos are enjoying it the sleds are out!

Looks like you still have a few good bursts coming.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"